PK-6 & Ungraded
South Deerfield, MA

Deerfield Elementary School 4

Posted November 13, 2014
A place where my child is excited about learning, has made good friends, and loves her teacher. I feel very fortunate to have my daughter at this school!

Deerfield Elementary School 2

Posted August 01, 2013
I am an alumni of Deerfield Elementary school, and my younger brother still attends. In my early years at Deerfield the faculty was caring and supportive; the academics were demanding, but never stressful. However, recently this school has taken a turn for the worst. Upon going through a spell of many different principals, the latest appears cold and disconnected from the community. The faculty has lately conspired and now is over-controlling and unfriendly. Since these changes, I do not feel welcomed when I return to see my old teachers. The teachers at this school treat the older students like little children, giving them little respect and trust. The majority of classroom teachers are wonderful, all though it can be difficult to hand 21-24 different kids per class; still, the main issue within this school is the administrative faculty.

Posted November 04, 2012
The staff and administration of this school are not qualified to deal with a variety of learners, family situations or the changes to the Common Core. The faculty have been supportive and caring. the school lacks leadership and overall quality professional development. I am concerned for the students of this district.

Deerfield Elementary School 3

Posted June 19, 2012
The school is great, it has great academic rigor coupled with a caring and capable teaching staff, all the teachers are smart and talented with lots of experience. Even specials teachers like Music and P.E. take the time to seek out parents and connect personally with each student. The academics are challenging but fun and the students love it there. Family participation is very high and the community is warm and welcoming.The biggest problem Deerfield currently faces is having a terrible principal. She is brand-new, unskilled and has not made any positive connections with the students. She is very young with only a year of experience before coming to this school, and does not have the ability to connect with parents. In each meeting with her she is wooden and she is often intractable, especially when she has made a misstep, which is often. She makes snap, harsh judgements and really needs more experience at a smaller school to gain a little empathy towards those around her.

Posted February 24, 2012
I have two children who attended this school and with the exception of 6th grade, they both had a horrible experience. The faculty/staff are cliquey and unfriendly. Staff morale is low. Hiring practices were unfair. Bullying is a definite problem. Class sizes are huge and teachers cannot manage the numerous behavioral issues. I can only hope that with new administration, this school will make the significant improvements that are so desperately needed.

Posted March 14, 2011
I am a recent Alumni of Deerfield Elementary School. They are constantly re-hiring staff, preventing students from forming strong relationships with most teachers. I was there from K-6 grades and formed healthy relationships with very few of the staff members. I rarely recieved help in the areas i needed both in school and with social problems. I feel this school lacks strong principal/school leaders. I would not recomend this school to anyone.

Deerfield Elementary School 5

Posted July 12, 2008
I love this school! It is run extremely well and has all of the things that other schools in the county are lacking. The technology is amazing, the building cheerful and welcoming, the cirriculum outstanding an dthe staff highly qualified and caring. My son is going into 2nd grade and my daughter is looking forward to kindergarten this year. Active PTO and very involved parents and volunteers contributes immenssely to the positive atmosphere.

Posted February 15, 2008
Great school but the people who run this, is awful. They treat parents like we're not doing enough to be a good parent. God forbid you do something wrong, because they will call DSS!

Deerfield Elementary School 5

Posted October 07, 2005
My daughter is in kindergarten, and I'm amazed at all that she will be learning this year! Class size is small and from all the parents with older kids that I've met, I've only heard great things about this school. There are two MACs in the classroom, and they even have gym and art& music at the K level! Can't say enough great things about the teachers and the school as a whole. Lots of parent involvement also seems to really make the school a great place for kids.

Deerfield Elementary School 4

Posted October 09, 2004

Deerfield Elementary School
21 Pleasant St, South Deerfield, MA  01373
Last modified Deerfield Elementary School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Deerfield Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 10 reviews. Top