6-8 & Ungraded
Springfield, MA

Posted January 15, 2013
I had to teach her for a year. It was an awful place to work; I cannot imagine being a student forced to attend this school. Fights daily. I was assaulted twice. Lockdown (students not allowed to leave classrooms except to be escorted by a teacher to the bathroom or lunchroom) was in force constantly. Terrible language from the students and terrible attitude by the majority of the staff. Several teachers are strong, committed, and excellent, but are stuck in a terrible situation with awful, weak leaders.

Posted April 13, 2010
Chestnut is the newest middle school in the city. The school is definitely not rundown. Would you rather have it housed at one of the 50 - 100 year old middle schools? The school has lots of issues but that is not one. The lack of parent involvement is systemic due to the lack of partnership between educators and parents. The administration does not value parental input unless it is inline with the Central Office and administration. That is why most parents that do care about their children's education will not get involved.

Posted April 12, 2010
I attended this school as a student in the TAG program. While I appreciated the opportunity to study challenging material, it was a rough trade-off: an excellent curriculum for a generally run-down and hostile environment. I asked myself at the time, and still wonder, why is the TAG program run in possibly the worst school in the city? To bring up average student scores without real holistic improvement of the school? It seems a rough trade-off for all of the students, doesn't it?

Posted October 06, 2009
This is my childs second year at Chestnut and I am unimpressed and argue that the faculty and staff do not work with the parents and keep them informed. This school seems to not be invested in the students and as stated by another parent in a previous review we need all parties, parents ,teachers, and students to be doing their part. I would not recommend this school and am considering going to the superintendent of schools to voice my concerns that have not been responded to by the on site faculty or principal. If you are sending your child to this school be prepared to fight for supports and advocate for your child.

Chestnut Street Middle School 4

Posted August 21, 2009
This is a good school as of now, my son who is going this year to HS was here and now my son and daughter are as well.

Chestnut Street Middle School 3

Posted March 09, 2009
As far as the parent reviews go, schools can only do so much. The atrocious behavior of CMS students is a result of what they learn at home and bring to school. Where is the ownership for the parents?! CMS is sub par, average inner-city school at best... all Spfld schools are. What do you expect these teachers and principals to do with no resources, $ or parental support?

Chestnut Street Middle School 5

Posted August 24, 2008

Posted May 12, 2008
My older daughter attended chestnut in the TAG Program. this program was excellent. It more than prepared her for high school- she is graduating central with a 4.6 GPA- she credits her success to the TAG program at Chestnut. My middle daughter, is currently in the TAG program at Chestnut as well and is also doing great. I plan on sending my third daughter there as well. I found that the school has a wonderful curriculumn and they do have high expectations for the students in the TAG program which I like because I have high standards for my children.

Posted March 18, 2008
Lots of kids with discipline problems. Sub-par curriculum.

Chestnut Street Middle School 5

Posted July 29, 2007
This school is excellent! My child went to this school and is is opening so many doors for her. Now my other child is going to go there and i hope and know that that school was the right choice for her.

Chestnut Street Middle School
355 Plainfield St, Springfield, MA  01107
Last modified Chestnut Street Middle School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 1 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Chestnut Street Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 11 reviews. Top