Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

Handles bullying effectively: Disagree

Considering my child was spit on by another child in class on a regular basis because she was asked to tell on said child, I think they have a long way to go.

Supports LD students: Neutral

No experience other than there is little support for those who are learning above grade-level.

Effective school leaders: Neutral

Previous principal was not effective and many parents who still have kids at Clarke find the current principal to be better.

Develops character: Neutral

They definitely try. I think the reward system is skewed.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

Depends greatly on the teacher. There are many who are tremendously engaged with the students and others who clearly phone it in.

Amount of homework: Neutral

There is no homework in Kindergarten, even when requested. There are several projects which were not developmentally appropriate for Kindergarteners and required parents to do the majority of the work. I don't find this to be constructive for kids.

Our child attended Kindergarten at Clarke from 2013-2014 and we were disappointed enough with the experience that we moved her for 1st grade. Our main frustration with the school was with communication by both Principal Login and my child's K teacher. My child was bored in class, and when I asked for resources to work with her at home, I was told to "look it up on the internet" by her teacher. My child is a rule-follower and was put in charge of kids who would act up. When she told on them (as she was asked to do by her teacher) she would get spit on in class. I addressed this with her teacher and was told "it's a difficult situation" but no attempt to solve the issue was made. During the winter months the K kids didn't go outside at ALL and watched cartoons during indoor recess. As a room parent, I offered to come in and do yoga or freeze-dance or various other physical activities during indoor recess so the kids could get their wiggles out. I was told that "it's handled". Suggestions or offers of help fell on deaf ears and there was little more than a polite effort made to tolerate parental involvement. Additionally, when I voiced my concerns about the title choice for a movie reward for the school perhaps being a bit too mature for the youngest kids (PG rather than G rating), I was told I was "the only parent complaining" and I should "keep my child home that day". I was shocked that the principal would choose to shut me down completely rather than engage in any constructive dialog. It was at that point we started to look at alternative options. The building is definitely in need of significant work and with the taxes paid by residents, it's appalling that this isn't addressed. The issues with the building are a distant second to those we had with the teachers and administration. That said, my child was pleased with her experience and we maintain many friendships from that year. Unfortunately the academics were not challenging in the least and were left to the lowest common denominator. This fall, when my younger child was ready for Kindergarten, we opted for the alternative school that we have loved. It's a shame since we can see Clarke from our front door!

Great school. The only thing it needs is re-modeling, everything is too old. But teachers and the Principal are terrific.

My daughter has done very well at Clarke School. We moved to Swampscott in time for her to enter Kindergarten. My son was older and I definitely see the difference at how things are run at Clarke compared to both a private school and the public schools in our former district that my son attended. I highly recommend Clarke.

This school helps children learn at a high level as well as helps them grow in life

Last modified Clarke Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-4. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.