Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Amount of homework: Disagree

Homework is not clear, no instruction. Not all teachers use their online system and parents are expected to "figure" it out by calling other parents as instructed by SPED department and asst. principle.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

The principal tells teachers to ignore students. My son was threatened with detention for asking for help.

Have a child on an IEP that requires services, has been receiving IEP services since the age of 2. Wakefield SPED dept denied diagnosis of Dyslexia saying they don't agree with diagnosis, don't have to say why and aren't required to test to support their denial. Student failed terms 1 and 2 and school continued to deny summer school. Refused tutoring services when my son was out for 9 weeks due to panic attacks induced by teacher bullying and refusal to provide IEP services. 6 meetings, 2 mediation sessions and 2 weeks after mediation session reneged on mediated agreement. State Dept of Education says only option is to sue. Student was placed in a small classroom with supports in for 2 of 4 CORE classes and has done well.. Obviously what was needed but now school has unilaterally decided after 6 weeks services are needed through end of school year but not in high school. Wakefield is currently being sued by multiple parents for special ed denials, refusal of services and failure to follow Federal and State requirements of children with special needs. DO NOT COME TO WAKEFIELD if you need any services through the SPED dept. Lynn O'Neil (Director of Special Education) will ignore you, refuse to respond to you, delay meetings unnecessarily, refuse mediation. Her team at the high school and middle school aren't any better. In fact, High school principal told myself and my advocate he instructed his SPED staff to ignore my son because they were uncomfortable approaching a non-violent student trying to advocate for himself. I feel for all parents that selected this school system and need to sell their homes to leave. AVOID WAKEFIELD PUBLIC SCHOOLS!!!!!!!!!!!

Our daughter is in 6th grade at Galvin. We couldn't be happier. The new school is amazing - state of the art physical plant and wonderful teachers. The auditorium is exceptional and we have seen 2 amazing musical productions by the Drama club (grades 5-8). Every child is different - and there is no school that will meet every single child's needs. But our child is thriving and I can say she will have a much better experience than my own!

the new school is absolutely amazing! The district also made a lot of good hires with 99.8 % of Galvin teachers being very qualified and licensed.

Galvin Middle has been a good school for my daughter who entered attending grade 6. The teachers and students were open to a "New" student. They all made her feel at home while she was far from her home. She loves all the teachers, now in her 2nd yr there even with the construction and teacher changes the school is still good for us.

I would give this school five stars if the facilities were better but a new school is being built starting this year. My two daughters are there. We have had a great experience. Great teachers. Great administration. Great community support. The curriculum is challenging and there are a lot of opportunities to be involved in a huge variety of things. I was nervous (my own issues from jr high?) but everything has gone very well. Really really happy with the education here.

Administration DOESN'T follow through with discipline issues. Students get sent to the office and there is no home phone call for follow up. This school fosters a culture of mediocrity and as a result, standards are lowered and kids learn less. Very few after school enrichment activities.

I go to the Galvin and I am disguested. I am bored with this school and they deffinatly gear all of the classes towards the kids who need more help. I am not one of those kids. I have high honners in every subject and love to learn. The thing is, Im not learning anything! After the first two days of learning about something I understand it and am ready for new information, but the problem is they stay on that same topic for days and sometimes weeks! Maybe its just my teachers that I have had the past 3 years but I dislike Galvin very much for those reasons. The only thing I like is the Physical Education program for the 7th and 8th graders. Mr. T and Mrs.Stevenson make it fun even if your not into sports.

Good school, yeah, it could use work, but what school doesn't. Much better than both elementary schools I went to and it's nice how all the kids meet each other, unlike Elementary where there were five different schools. 5th grade was definitely the toughest, adjusting to the whole new atmosphere. I am in seventh grade and I mentor a fifth grader and plan on doing it next year. I think it has many good programs including the Mentoring, MCAS Prep, a great special ed program and many others. They make the special ed kids feel welcome and encourage us to, too.

Last modified Galvin Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 5-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.