No rating

Bartlett School

Private | PK-6 | 142 students

Student diversity

Living in Waltham

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $305,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,690.

Posted October 15, 2008

The Bartlett School is an undiscovered jewel in the arena of Boston independent schools. My children are graduates of The Bartlett School. They were very well prepared for their next schools. The teachers and specialists (science, computer,language, PE) are all excellent and care about their students. Bartlett also has wonderful in-house enrichment activities and field trips. While some schools may have science only once a week, Bartlett students have science three times a week. Each alternating year there is a science fair in which students in third grade and up present their projects and research papers. Bartlett students also get exposed to public speaking. Every Friday there is an assembly sponsored by a grade and children develop good experience presenting in front of their peers. Comments from 2006 on this site are outdated. The school has a wonderful new head, Grace Cavallo, who continues to improve this excellent school.

Posted September 12, 2008

My two children have attended The Bartlett School for 2 years now. They are excited and positive about going to the excellent learning enviornment the school provides. They also appreciate the wonderful and experienced teachers they have leading their classes and are eager to learn from them in a class that offers a more intimate size and quality individual attention. I love Bartlett and as long as my children thrive I have only positive comments about this fine institution.

Posted May 21, 2008

Bartlett is underrated because it doesn't have all the bells and whistle; but a new head starts in june, 08. Daily PE is a gift and all the teachers are great, kind and nurturing. My son has been very happy and learned quite a bit. Small classes and quiet environment, which is important to many children. Don't let the quiet fool you; alot is going on here.

Posted March 13, 2008

The Bartlett is a fabulous school. The teaching staff is wonderful. The academic curriculum is challenging but achievable. The Physical Education and The Athletic Programs are excellent and are professionally run. The Physical Education Teacher/Athletic Director, Mr. Doucette, is excellent at teaching, building confidence, and offers great leadership. My child has thrived at the Bartlett School academically, athletically, and socially. I feel my child is gaining the best elementary education in the state. Graduates from the Bartlett have been accepted to top middle schools and high school in Massachusetts (BB&N, Rivers, Newton Country Day, Belmont Hill, Fessenden, Roxbury Latin, Boston Latin, Belmont Day, Beaver Country Day, Dexter, to name a few). I highly recommend this school.

Posted December 29, 2007

A poor man's Fessenden. Lack of focus. Head mistress hard to deal with

Posted January 21, 2007

The Bartlett School exemplifies the nurturing yet demanding environment for which all independent schools strive. The student and family populations are quite diverse, and the school takes advantage of this environment to encourage tolerance and understanding. Our child is positively thriving at Bartlett thanks to the caring, knowledgeable yet disciplined faculty. Bartlett students consistently test above peer groups in area schools, and are unparalleled with 5-day per week foreign language study, cursive writing training, Latin and literature. It is no surprise that Bartlett grads consistently matriculate to the best middle schools in the area. Bartlett also has a nice personalized style that is not found in even the best schools. The parents represent a real community of effort. No school can please all families, but the Bartlett School superbly trains students to love school, love study, and to become prepared for the challenges ahead.

Posted January 21, 2007

My husband and I are very impressed with the faculty and administration at Bartlett. We just love the teachers! Our children are positively thriving here. I would recommend the Bartlett School without reservation.

Posted January 16, 2007

I love the Bartlett school. I have two children currently attending The Bartlett and one child that will start next year. I find the Headmaster of the school very fair and she really concentrates on the children and their needs. I have recommended this school to everyone I know and will continue to do so. The Bartlett School has a great staff and even a greater leader. This school is the tops and will be a family tradition and treasure.

Posted January 10, 2007

My children attended this school and we as parents would not recommend this school. They are having a difficult time obtaining and retaining students when most schools in the area have huge waiting lists. The great student to teacher ratio is only because of there lack of applicants and high volume of people leaving. In comparison to the other private schools in the area this school doesn't come close in what it offers. They lack sports facilities and equipment although a new gym teacher is trying hard to make up for what the facility lacks with fun games and exercises. The art, science and music rooms are small,lack the proper equipment and the books are out of date. The headmaster is extremely difficult to deal with.

Posted December 6, 2006

Bartlett is a wonderful school that considers and cares for each child individually and personally. After 4 years at the Bartlett School our 3rd grade boy loves school, loves learning and is a voracious reader. He is already an excellent creative writer, and speaks very serviceable Spanish. He often says he never wants to leave Bartlett. The curriculum is somewhat traditional, but also very innovative, including modern teaching techniques and sound technology tools. The faculty and staff truly teach and develop the 'whole child', grounding the students in ethics, self confidence, care for others, and decision making, as well as the common academic pursuits. Tuition is relatively modest compared to other private schools in the area, but the students all go on to the best middle schools in the area, because of the reputation for excellence at Bartlett. I could not recommend this school more highly.

Posted November 6, 2006

The Bartlett is a wonderful school with great teachers and administration. The new facilities are fabulous and my daughter loves the place. The student to teacher ratio is out of this world. We enrolled our second child because we were so impressed with the foundation they had provided to the first child we had sent. We wish we had found the school earlier for our two older girls. You won't find a more nurturing environment for a child than at Bartlett.

Posted November 2, 2006

Our experience at The Bartlett School was that of a very nurturing environment, many outstanding teachers, and amazing parent involvement. A special feature of this school is the variety of nationalities and cultures represented. Respect and appreciation for the cultural background of each student is a major emphasis at the school. Bartlett also has a very strong community service program that involves students at each grade level.

Posted October 27, 2006

As an Alumnus of the Bartlett I can only say that I found each and every staff person always treating all the students and families with the utmost respect. I learned the meaning of doing my best and being happiest when helping others. I believe that Bartlett can teach to the needs of all learning differences with success. My class of sixth graders all went to their number one choice in middle school placements. Many tested into the highest math groups available in the 7th grade. My experience at the Bartlett was one of the best times in my life!
—Submitted by a former student

Posted October 27, 2006

Our famikly has absolutely loved the Bartlett! We have had five children graduate and do exceptionally well at their new schools!

Posted October 27, 2006

The Bartlett School has an art program that encompasses three visits to the MFA for 2nd through the 6th grade. Each grade focuses on artists and projects that are being taught in social studies. Every year there is an exciting new unit that is fun and informative. Ms. Hennessey makes art come alive for the students!
—Submitted by a staff

Posted October 27, 2006

This is a great school. The teachers are caring and knowledgeable. The Physical Education, Music, Art, and Science programs are top notch. the small class sizes great. The individual attention that is given at the Bartlett helps with my childs educational development.

Posted October 17, 2006

There are about thirty fewer students at the school than last year.A large amount of families left due to mismanagement,poor interaction and difficulties in dealing with both the Head of the school and the Director of the Board.The school will continue to falter if something is not done soon.We are glad to be out and at another school.What a relief!

Posted October 2, 2006

They claim traditional, yet it is sub-par. Not a good value. My kids were not ready to get accepted to the private middle schools due to the school's lack of direction.

Posted September 29, 2006

This school did not meet our expectations. It was price increased twice with no noticeable changes for the betterment of the children.A weak arts, science and music program and lack of updated technology makes it difficult for the children to compete with other schools children when applying out. All this leaves the true education up to a trio of fabulous and caring teachers who are the hearts of the school. The weakest link is the headmaster who has a vision that does not meld with the schools traditional ideals. I would look elsewhere for a great educational opportunity.

Posted June 2, 2006

I'm not a parent, I'm an alumnus from Winchester/Wyman Building (when there was a 7th & 8th grade; Bartlett was a wonderful experience, a thorough preparation for high school, and instilled strong values for later life. I remember Miss Casey, Mrs. Bentley & Mr. Robertson with great fondness and respect. Thank you, Bartlett School!
—Submitted by a former student

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

• Coed