Bad
Good

Update 2016: Principle is still great and the school is really becoming even more of a community. Thankful to have some very excellent teachers too. My later years at Lowell were great too(great teachers). Hope that they keep Math League for both 4th and 5th grades along with add more project base STEAM. Thank goodness for parents/Watertown Strong Schools for advocating for more money and resources to help better our Elementary/Middle/High schools. We are getting better but still have a good way to go. Overall district Administration is not communicative and needs to be more on top of situations before they are in crisis mode. I'm rating this school though, but if I were to rate the Administration I would give them 2 stars...the principle/teachers and all at Lowell are excellent! 2012:Lowell school is a good school with a new interm princple this year. SHe is doing a GREAT job transitioning and responding to parents. The kids already love her and she is night and day better than the previous unresponsive prinicple(mentioned in the previous posts). The lower grade teachers so far have been great. I'm not hearing as great a praise for the upper grades but we shall see!

Develops character: Agree

They have a good community caring curriculum which they do many events with...along with buddies(buddy kids from different grades with a buddy for the year and do reading/other things while in school).

I love Lowell School! My daugther needed special education and they are awsome!! Unfortunately we had to leave the school because we moved to another state. We miss Lowell school so much!!

We have been at the school for two years now and are not impressed at all. School leadership is weak, physical condition of the school is poor as well as the outside play areas, school seems to be in desperate need of basic supplies, and some of the teachers/staff don't even seem as though they like children. What we have learned this year is that our schools rank below average and are underfunded year after year. This explains a lot. For all these reasons I would not recommend this school or any school in Watertown.

From what we have read and experienced the Lowell School is about average nationally. I sincerely hope this can improve by the time our daughter is old enough to attend.

Our school is wonderful. The teachers and principal all care about the children. My son has learned so much while being there, not just academically but about community. We are all in this world together and we need to help build each other up. Thank you to all the teachers who work hard in the trenches everyday.

Lowell School is amazing. They have a great staff on board and i'm choosing to stay in this town to continue the great education my son has been receiving. The individualized support is really thorough and they really care about our kids. I moved to the right neighborhood for sure .

I have 3 children at the Lowell school. I have to say the principal and teaching staff are doing a tremendous job. They are creative in their approach to meeting the needs of all the students. New initiatives such as the Lowell Learning garden, the Buddy system and newspaper club have been fantastic additions to the school as a whole. The teachers are engaged in their efforts and I have found them open to meeting parents if there are issues or concerns. The Principal is energetic, knows the kids so well, has a happy staff and she is running a tight ship! The PTO and volunteer program is an example of great parental involvement and hopefully it will only get stronger. It takes a village to raise these children and I could not be happier with the community my children belong to..

It's wonderful that everyone is happy now. However, the competency, ineffectivness and unresponsiveness of the former Lowell School principal was brought to the attention of the school committe, the former Superintendent and the current Superintendent many times over the years. Nobody did anything about it and a lot of parents, teachers and children paid a price. It's very sad that the current Superintendent chose to ignore parents and their concerns about Donovan's past issues and behavior and appointed her Assistant Superintendent. Isn't that nice: lets give someone a higher position with more money even though they have behaved very badly for years! How can she get a promotion after all of the terrible things that she's done. It's disgusting and appalling. The School Committee is/was aware of her antics over the years. She was appointed this position so that she can retire in three years with a higher pension. She also accepted a position in Newton as principal of an elementary school. As soon as Fitzgerald was appointed Superintendent, Donovan told the Newton that she changed her mind and no longer wanted the job. Hmmmm, sounds like it was planned all along!

This year is so much better for my kids then years past and I think it has a lot to do with the new principal and the great energy she provides. The former principal was very ineffective as all the other postings have alluded to. I have also heard that in Watertown this is by far the most desirable elementary school. Overall everyone seems happier this year and when teachers are happy then the kids have a better chance of having a fun school year.

Last modified Lowell Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.