Bad
Good

Many students are flying under the radar in this very crowded school. I am unsatisfied with the amount of homework my kid is getting, its too much!

Poor communication between the school and parents. Overly crowded and an overwhelming place all together.

I went to Wayland Middle School from 6th to 8th grade, so for the full three years. I personally could not stand it. Every single teacher picks favorites and treats the other kids terribly. They rush learning, just jamming information into kids' brains for the MCAS. They don't care if we actually remember anything we learn for our futures, which we don't because we were so rushed in learning it. This school is extremely stressful. In 8th grade I had 6-7 hours of homework each night. Other than that, the academics are OK. Also, the school is also falling apart. While the high school was just rebuilt, the middle school really needs to be as well. There are holes in the ceiling and they put trash cans under them when it rains. This makes in difficult for students to get to their lockers. There is also holes in the stall doors in the bathroom and they don't lock. The school tries so hard not to have bullies, which I give them credit for, but it doesn't work. There's still so much bullying that the teachers see and do nothing about. I am ecstatic to be leaving this school; it was over all a very bad experience for me.

This school is outrageous. I attended this school from 6 thru 7th grade. I would come back from vacations and all of a sudden all my friends would have turned on me. I was bullied everyday in the hallway when I would but my coat in my locker. A teacher would just stand and watch. In the hallways almost every student would scream and yell foul language at eachother. During Lunch if you were not "popular" you were not allowed to sit with the "popular" kids. Even the asian kids had to have their own table to eat lunch at because the other students were so racist. I was hit daily by other students. The princable will do NOTHING about the behavior of these students. She will always have a "Anti-Bullying" week, but as always, it is ineffective. A student would text me and say very hurtful things to me she also spread many vicious rumors about me when I was sick for a week. She would tell everyone to not talk to me and pretend I was invisable. When I hit my head and fell unconscious a teacher didn't even help me, instead he watched and did nothing to help me. I am very displeased with this way the school has treated me. Don't send your children to this horrid school. Written by a student

For the most part, the academics are very good, however there are a few classes in the various grades where the teaching is not great. The students are unfocused in many classes. Language and behavior both inside the classroom and in the halls needs to improve. Bullying happens often in the cafeteria and teachers usually ignore bullying if it happens in their classes. Even though the school does make an effort with their anti-bullying program, it barely impacts the overall school climate.

The middle school, was once a bright spot in this district, sadly that is no longer true. Academically it is top notch, but the current administration has changed the atmosphere at this school. There is a remarkable lack of discipline. Yes, there are rules, but they are not enforced. The children run wild in the halls, use foul language (in front of faculty!,) dress in an inappropriate manner, and show a grave disrespect for their teachers and their peers. The principal is ineffective and distant with both students and parents. The administration and the teachers are horrible at returning emails and phone calls-I have to actually physically go to the school and hunt people down to address my concerns. Bullying is tolerated and even excused. The administration talks a good game, but it's all talk. I'm always so confused after parent teacher night because it all sounds so good, you find it's nothing but a veneer. There is a new superintendent and I hope he'll be able to correct this mess. Academics are certainly important, but growing good, responsible citizens is equally critical and the middle school in Wayland fails at that part of their very important responsibility.

WMS provides the perfect transition from elementary school. The staff truly cares about the students and understands the unique demands of this age group, both academically and socially. We are lucky to have such a great school in our community!

I am a student at the school, and it's been a great expierence being a student at WMS. There is good energy at the school

Though the whole district is good, this is the gem of the system. Kids are excited to learn, teachers are excellent quality. Resource program is very good for most kids that are in it (GREAT for my own daughter). Music program is very strong, particularly the band program. Each grade also has a special field trip that unites the students and focuses on that grade's topic. 6th does a bike trip to Walden Pond (Thoreau), 7th to an organic farm and special caves(Rachel Carson and the environment)8th to Cape Cod and Washington (Martin Luther King, earth sciences. Kids learn to study, and can qualify for advanced math all three years and advanced science in 8th grade. Civility and participation are also important.

Last modified Wayland Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.