No rating

Beethoven Elementary School

Public | PK-3 & ungraded

Posted February 12, 2012

I am a 61 year old lawyer, who visited the school last year to speak to a class about the U.S. Constitution. The school set-up was very impressive and the children I met were bright and extremely well behaved. The school is a perfect size and the administration and teaching staff were all involved in the day's special program. My children went to Wellesley elementary schools and then Dana Hall and Portsmouth Abbey boarding school. However, I would send my children to this school and I believe those children and parents who are able to do so are extremely fortunate.

Posted March 21, 2008

pretty good wen it comes to education... wish it gave more feild trips tho!
—Submitted by a student

Posted May 14, 2005

The Beethovan staff is exceptional and an asset to our diverse community. The school has excelled under the guidance of the leadership of Ms. Nash since her appointment and will continue to do so in the coming years. My daughter has flourished in the instrument music program offered at the Beethovan. Lauren Lundin
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 13, 2005

I do not know where the bad review came from with George Canoodle. My daughter is a K2 student at the Beethoven and I have never witnessed any security issues. I am very comfortable with my childs safety and the safety of all the students in their care. Mrs Nash runs a very tight secure school and all the members of the staff follow in her footsteps. If you are late you need to be buzzed in you are signed in at the office and a staff member brings the children to their classroom. I have no issues with their security and would gladly field any questions regarding the obvious error made.

Posted May 13, 2005

I am a very proud parent of the Beethoven school. I have never encountered any serious security issues there. It is unfortunate that 'Georgie Canoodle'experienced something that none of us here have experienced. The Beethoven has a high parent and teacher involvement and if there were any issues that concerned our childrens' safety you can believe we all would do everything we could to fix any existing problems. I am very confident in knowing that my child is not only in a school that cares about her education but her safety as well. I've never been in a school were the principal is always available. She's there in the morning to greet the children and parents and she is there to assist with dismissal. She is a principal who cares about making herself available to her school community. I am proud to be a parent of the Beethoven School. Magalie Neff

Posted May 9, 2005

The Beethoven is a great up-and-coming school. I'm not sure which school 'Georgie Cadoodle' is referring to in an earlier post. The Beethoven staff run a tight ship. I entrust them with my child with the knowledge she is in a safe environment. I think it's in part why kids flourish there. I am yet to meet a Beethoven parent that didn't feel the same. As an actual Beethoven student parent, I would be happy field inquiries regarding the school.

Posted May 9, 2005

My daughter is in K2. I love this school! The teachers and the principal are great, have great goals and a clear vision for the school. They encourage and support parent participation and input, and are accessible and friendly. The staff are on the ball, know all the children (and their families!) and create a nurturing environment. And if there are disclipline issues (as there are in my daughter's class), the staff deals with the issue quickly and effectively, and keeps all parents who wish to know in the loop. Though the child with issues is not mine, I appreciate a school which works with managing and resolving problem behavior so the child can learn. We gave up a scholarship to a prestigious private school to attend the Beethoven, and have no regrets about our choice. We love the school and think it is a hidden gem in the BPS system!

Posted January 18, 2005

This school has some serious security issues, and I would not send my child there again.

Grade level

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

2013

n/a

2011

2010

Math

The state average for Math was 67% in 2013.

2013

n/a

2011

2010

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 Massachusetts used the Massachusetts Comprehensive Assessment System (MCAS) to test students in grades 3 though 8 and 10 in English language arts and math and in grades 5, 8, and 10 in science. The grade 10 MCAS is a high school graduation requirement. The MCAS is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Massachusetts. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Source: Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education

Title In/a
Students with disabilitiesn/a
English language learnersn/a
Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the Massachusetts Department of Education. If there are a small number of students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students participating in free or reduced-price lunch program 51%N/A35%

Fax number
  • (617) 635-8155

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now