Woodland Elementary School

Public | PK-3 & ungraded | 28 students

Posted May 29, 2012

I think your experience really depends on who your child get as a teacher. My child has been there for 4 years and went through 3 teachers, one of them ended up teaching them again after a promotion. It was a mixed feeling. For the first 3 years, we had issues after issues with the teachers. I even started to wonder whether the problem is with me. So I started to volunteer a lot more in school and trying to see things from the teacher's perspective. Surely it's not easy to be the principle or the teacher. But I do agree that there are a lot of things certain teacher can improve on. On the last year there, we got so lucky that my child had an awesome 3rd grade teacher. The whole approach is refreshing and we had such a great year. She constantly challenges my child so she knows what is expected of her. Unlike other teachers, she does not ran to principle with every little issue, instead she was in constant contact with me to help my child resolve issues. My suggestion is have a conversation with your children's teacher at the beginning of school and explain what are you expecting. Push a little bit but be fair to the teachers too.

Posted April 2, 2012

We absolutely adore Woodland School! My son is in K and now has a great love for school and his community. Not only has he learned reading and math, he is also learning how to interact with his peers and teachers. We have been very impressed with his growth this year. I was also glad that he had NO homework since we work on reading and math on our own as well as music and several other activities. If you value a strong community school as well as a place that fosters a love for learning, you cannot go wrong with Woodland.

Posted January 19, 2011

this schools is the most disappointing of all in this school system. Children have no homework and are not supported by the system when they falter. Conversely, If they are academically advanced, then they are basically ignored and criticized--you can't win here, imo. And you cannot win with this principal. She has an abject mistrust of the parents and fosters an adversarial relationship with them. She does not like or respect the community, in my experience If you can avoid this sub-par school, by all means do! Ask to register your pre-K child through Country Elementary NOT Woodland! OR try private school (Meadowbrook) or Wellesley public. We are so glad we chose to move on!

Posted November 7, 2010

As a former parent at Woodland School, I feel that my children were well prepared for the challenges ahead. The principal was always available for parents. The faculty was very involved and caring to the families. I always recommend Woodland School to new families.

Posted November 9, 2009

My children have had negative experiences at this school. The problems begin with the leadership and the approach this school has to community learning. The focus is very narrow so as not to include those children who are achieving beyond grade level. We tried very hard to make this school work, but it did not. There is nowhere to go if the principal is unsympathetic to your issues. I would urge those with children who are above average-to-smart range to enroll at Country where it is much less stressful and the teachers are able to offer alternatives to challenge highly able learners.

Posted November 4, 2009

Committed to excellence on every level. Teachers are the best of the best!

Posted September 2, 2009

I have two children, one with special needs and the other a high-performing Type A. I suppose I never appreciated the fact that sometimes great teaching may involve telling a parent what a parent may not want to hear. I was one of those three years ago and have changed my opinion 180 degrees. I love Woodland - and the 'bad news' that i didn't want to believe in Kindergarten made us grow as a family. One of the toughest conversations to ever have - hearing your child needs special services. Both my children adore their experiences there, are kind and respectful. Yes, the principal is direct, but she is fair and honest. I appreciate these qualities. I read these other comments and I guess to each his own; but, if you visit the school, talk to parents in the halls and I believe you will feel differently. Been there.

Posted March 10, 2009

This school is the reason that teacher's unions should be abolished. While there are a handful of excellent teachers, most have the attitude of 'I know what's best for your kid, lay off'. Some of the exchanges between parents and teachers, parents and prinicpal could be categorized under 'profoundly unprofessional'. The school needs a complete overhaul and I agree with others, there are better choices in Weston for elementary ed--both public (Country) and private.

Posted December 18, 2008

My children also attended this school and I consider it to be the weak link in the Weston school system. The curriculum is not at all challendging, There is no ability leveling whatsoever--so if your child is bright and motivated to learn, this is not the right school (IMO). Yes, there are some very strong teachers here, but there are also some weak ones. In our experience, the principal is not interested in the community or educating the children to their ability. She seems very antagonistic and the joke is that if you have a perfect child with no issues and you never compalin or need to deal with her, you will like her! I don't think she is a genuine or a very kindly person, in my experience. And these qualities are so important in an elementary principal.

Posted December 8, 2008

I love this school. The teachers are excellent and do an excellent job of communicating with the parents. I find the curriculum very challenging and have seen a tremendous improvement in my child this year. I have found all of the teachers and school staff to be very approachable and commited to the children. I have no complaints about the prinicipal. She has always be very polite and interested in the school's well being, from my point of view.

Posted September 19, 2008

Three of my children attended this school. It has a strong, broad curriculum, good teachers working in teams, and careful attention to students' social and academic development. The principal is a strong but collaborative leader who quickly learns the names and needs of every student, and I always found her to be both responsive and wise.

Posted September 17, 2008

Run fast! Attend Country if you have a choice. IMO, the Woodland Principal does not like parents and promotes adversarial relationships with them.There are some great teachers. If you dare complain, it may be taken out on your child.

Grade level

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

79 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2013

2011

2010

Math

The state average for Math was 67% in 2013.

79 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2013

2011

2010

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 Massachusetts used the Massachusetts Comprehensive Assessment System (MCAS) to test students in grades 3 though 8 and 10 in English language arts and math and in grades 5, 8, and 10 in science. The grade 10 MCAS is a high school graduation requirement. The MCAS is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Massachusetts. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Source: Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education

Title In/a
Students with disabilities38%
English language learnersn/a
Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the Massachusetts Department of Education. If there are a small number of students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Above average

Test score rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

Test score rating examines how students at this school performed on standardized tests compared with other schools in Massachusetts. Test scores are based on 2012-13 MCAS results from the state of Massachusetts.

This school
District
State

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 MCAS results from the state of Massachusetts.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 10% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students participating in free or reduced-price lunch program 2%N/A35%

Fax number
  • (781) 529-8111

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

10 Alphabet Lane