PK-3 & Ungraded
Weston, MA

Woodland Elementary School 4

Posted May 29, 2012
I think your experience really depends on who your child get as a teacher. My child has been there for 4 years and went through 3 teachers, one of them ended up teaching them again after a promotion. It was a mixed feeling. For the first 3 years, we had issues after issues with the teachers. I even started to wonder whether the problem is with me. So I started to volunteer a lot more in school and trying to see things from the teacher's perspective. Surely it's not easy to be the principle or the teacher. But I do agree that there are a lot of things certain teacher can improve on. On the last year there, we got so lucky that my child had an awesome 3rd grade teacher. The whole approach is refreshing and we had such a great year. She constantly challenges my child so she knows what is expected of her. Unlike other teachers, she does not ran to principle with every little issue, instead she was in constant contact with me to help my child resolve issues. My suggestion is have a conversation with your children's teacher at the beginning of school and explain what are you expecting. Push a little bit but be fair to the teachers too.

Posted April 02, 2012
We absolutely adore Woodland School! My son is in K and now has a great love for school and his community. Not only has he learned reading and math, he is also learning how to interact with his peers and teachers. We have been very impressed with his growth this year. I was also glad that he had NO homework since we work on reading and math on our own as well as music and several other activities. If you value a strong community school as well as a place that fosters a love for learning, you cannot go wrong with Woodland.

Posted January 19, 2011
this schools is the most disappointing of all in this school system. Children have no homework and are not supported by the system when they falter. Conversely, If they are academically advanced, then they are basically ignored and criticized--you can't win here, imo. And you cannot win with this principal. She has an abject mistrust of the parents and fosters an adversarial relationship with them. She does not like or respect the community, in my experience If you can avoid this sub-par school, by all means do! Ask to register your pre-K child through Country Elementary NOT Woodland! OR try private school (Meadowbrook) or Wellesley public. We are so glad we chose to move on!

Posted November 07, 2010
As a former parent at Woodland School, I feel that my children were well prepared for the challenges ahead. The principal was always available for parents. The faculty was very involved and caring to the families. I always recommend Woodland School to new families.

Posted November 09, 2009
My children have had negative experiences at this school. The problems begin with the leadership and the approach this school has to community learning. The focus is very narrow so as not to include those children who are achieving beyond grade level. We tried very hard to make this school work, but it did not. There is nowhere to go if the principal is unsympathetic to your issues. I would urge those with children who are above average-to-smart range to enroll at Country where it is much less stressful and the teachers are able to offer alternatives to challenge highly able learners.

Woodland Elementary School 0

Posted November 04, 2009
Committed to excellence on every level. Teachers are the best of the best!

Posted September 05, 2009

Woodland Elementary School 0

Posted September 02, 2009
I have two children, one with special needs and the other a high-performing Type A. I suppose I never appreciated the fact that sometimes great teaching may involve telling a parent what a parent may not want to hear. I was one of those three years ago and have changed my opinion 180 degrees. I love Woodland - and the 'bad news' that i didn't want to believe in Kindergarten made us grow as a family. One of the toughest conversations to ever have - hearing your child needs special services. Both my children adore their experiences there, are kind and respectful. Yes, the principal is direct, but she is fair and honest. I appreciate these qualities. I read these other comments and I guess to each his own; but, if you visit the school, talk to parents in the halls and I believe you will feel differently. Been there.

Posted March 25, 2009

Posted March 10, 2009
This school is the reason that teacher's unions should be abolished. While there are a handful of excellent teachers, most have the attitude of 'I know what's best for your kid, lay off'. Some of the exchanges between parents and teachers, parents and prinicpal could be categorized under 'profoundly unprofessional'. The school needs a complete overhaul and I agree with others, there are better choices in Weston for elementary ed--both public (Country) and private.

Woodland Elementary School
10 Alphabet Lane, Weston, MA  02493
Last modified Woodland Elementary School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Woodland Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 14 reviews. Top