Worcester, MA

Posted October 19, 2014
I started at WA when I was in 6th grade because I hated public school. To be honest, going to WA was the worst decision of my life. I begged my parents to pull me out after my freshman year. 8 others in my class just could not take it anymore either. Since I started every kid was a stuck-up, rich, know-it-all. If you didn't dress in the right clothing, or like the same things you were automatically rejected. The faculty was not worth paying 25,000 a year. Yes, I did have some fantastic teachers that actually taught, but every year we would end up with 1 or 2 who just would not teach. On top of this it was expected that mastered everything that you did, it was drilled in with their motto "Achieve the Honorable." I was stressed from ages 11 to 15. In high school it is required to do sport/theater, so no matter what activity you'd leave by 6pm or later and then had 3-6 hours of homework. They drilled the idea that if you didn't do well in a course you wouldn't be able to get into college. I graduated from public school and am in a great private college with a huge scholarship. If I stayed my grades would have been lower and there is no chance in hell I would be where I am today.

Posted October 01, 2014
I've noticed that the negative reviews all have misspellings and severe grammatical errors. Perhaps you just were not smart enough to be at WA, but that is no reason to be bitter at the school. It is an incredible academic environment, and is unlike most prep schools that have an air of entitlement. Don't be a whiner, accept personal responsibility, and you'll do well at WA and in life :)

Posted March 14, 2014
I think WA is awesome. Some of my friends are in this school. WA's math is so strong, although I'm 1 year higher than my sister, I can't answer the hard math questions she asked.

Posted January 14, 2014
All three of my children attend Worcester Academy. We are thrilled with the curriculum, faculty and extracurriculars. We have been part of the community for five years as all three started there in grade 6. The faculty truly care about the students and demand the best of them, yet are very supportive. We love that the school offers so many different courses. The international students add a wonderful element to the school. We have hosted students every year we have been a part of the school and now have wonderful friends all over the world. We couldn't be more pleased with the rigor, curriculum, faculty and environment of Worcester Academy. We encourage families to apply - the school will exceed your expectations!

Posted December 21, 2013
There is no way out of this school. Over the years, my experience has been awful and dreadful, making me want to leave this school more and more as I think about it. Everyone I ask that goes there says it is a bad decision to even apply here. Although, I am greatly fortunate everything thing they have taught me. It is just beyond challenging with a great amount of academic and social stress. The diversity is like no other, meaning they put a force on the international students mixing with the day students. I would not necessarily describe this school as snobby, but some of the people inside of it can be full of them selves. I would not recommend sending your child there considering it was one of my worst decisions yet

Posted November 16, 2011
An absolutely wonderful experience with an incredibly involved and caring staff, administration, and faculty. I had diverse interests and the school provided me an avenue to pursue as many interests as I wanted to. I showed up to a tier-1 college and excelled from day one because of the preparation that I received at WA. I am continually heartened to hear about the rapid development of WA's offerings and footprint, both in the neighborhood and globally. Most importantly, WA offers a top prep school experience without the bubble that so many prep schools cultivate. You are part of the community, your classmates are from all walks of life, the faculty have diverse experiences. You don't live in a bubble in life, why should you in high school?

Posted October 09, 2011
I am a parent of two children who attended Worcester Academy, middle and high school. My two children were very different from one another yet both had outstanding experiences. My oldest, who now attends an Ivy League university, was more than prepared for it's academic rigors. I highly recommend Worcester Academy. It is well worth the tuition.

Posted September 01, 2011
i am not a big fan of worcester academy, when i got their in my freshman year none of the kids were nice to me and although i did have sone friends they had friends that they were closer to and wouldn't talk to me. most of the teachers are nice though and challenge me to do my best out side of the class room i am not accepted and unhappy.

Posted June 05, 2011
I graduated from WA in the 80s, and though I realize the school has changed significantly since then, I would attend all over again. This school was not easy, but my parents got their money's worth, as it was expensive then too. This school instilled in me a level of endurance and gratitude that has forever redirected my life. I credit many of my life's successes (scholarships, further education, job prospects, life's accomplishments) to WA. It was difficult, it was hard, but I have lifelong friends and abilities I wouldn't have otherwise, and it has permanently reshaped by life for the better. I am a current educator that has taught grades 6-12 all over the country, and you'll be hard pressed to find a better school.

Worcester Academy 1

Posted April 18, 2011
I am very unsatisfied with this school. For one example, my daughter left WA her 6th grade year and attended SPM. She is now at St. Peter Marian High School and refuses to speak of her sixth grade year. The teaching examples move along too quickly and the teachers are very unaccepting and take things to an extreme, I was more satisfied with the Worcester School she was at before. The children at Worcester Academy are brutal to kids and my daughter did not feel comfort at school. The teachers dished out punishments too fast and were uncaring in my opinion. When having conferences I was put down and told things about my own child that put her down as well. I was glad to pull her out and we are very satisfied with our current school. If you truly care about your children's health and school pride and satisfaction, you will not put your child through Worcester Academy Middle School. I can not tell you how many times Marie came home crying and sobbing and asking to go back to Nelson. Do not send your child there.

Worcester Academy