Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)

My two children have been at Honey Creek since kindergarten. I am continually impressed by the commitment of the administration and teachers to teach the whole child and every child.

We chose to move to Honey Creek from one of Ann Arbor's beloved public elementary schools. While the former school was fine, we wanted our children to learn in a more engaged/hands-on environment. Honey Creek is just that: small class sizes (no more than 19 in elementary); project-based learning; and a model of teaching that meets each child where they are both academically and developmentally. While it's certainly more convenient to walk your child down the street for school, the drive to Honey Creek is worth is. We are so grateful for this school and the wonderful teachers who so seamlessly execute this unique model of education.

Honey Creek has been just right for our family. We chose it because of the multi-age, project-based approach. We stayed because it’s a caring, whole-child community. The teachers are extremely qualified and dedicated, and they have been given the freedom to develop their own curriculum (tied in with the state standards, of course). The teachers and administrators understand the importance of play and movement, and children get more recess time than at most other schools (3 recesses/day, most days, in K/1). The homework load is age-appropriate. Students are taught how to think and solve problems-- academically and socially. You won’t see a lot of worksheets or busy work. I’m in the school a lot, and I have never seen an upset or checked out teacher. Families are welcomed in the school. In fact, at drop-off and pick-up the halls are full of parents, grandparents, kids, and teachers. You can watch the middle school students as school lets out, and you don’t see a lot of teen angst. Most of them are smiling and goofing around. Families are strongly encouraged to be involved in the school. There’s a big community feeling; which makes sense, because everyone chooses to be there. Of course we’ve had problems here and there -that’s normal- but when there were problems, there was space to talk about it and work it out. Possible disadvantages: 1. It’s a non-profit and it receives less money from the state and local government. However, if you check test scores (which are not emphasized at the school), Honey Creek holds up pretty well. That does mean there’s some turnover of the part-time specials teachers. 2. Families are expected to be involved. Advantage for some, disadvantage for others. 3. You need to get your kids to the school. There aren’t buses. I was nervous about this, but it’s nice to have the time in the car to actually talk to your kids. You can also set up a carpool.

Our child has been there for 2 years now and we love it! The teachers take time with each student to ensure success. They also value outside time and know that students succeed when they are able to move and play! Our child has learned so much already and we are very happy.

There are maybe one or two pretty good teachers at this school, but overall it is definitely not what it claims to be. We left and the public school which I had feared is actually much better all around. Small class size is nice at HC--would be great if teachers were competent. We knew one that took naps in the classroom. One would get upset and retreat to her office and make the assistant take over. Regular substitutes call students "stupid", and continue to return becasue their kids attend. Lots of noise from the mentally impaired school that is attached---police come because they cannot be controlled. Not for us...and we are seeing better handling of problems and better education at new school.

I am a former employee who's child attended here. I can say that I know people who's dissatisfied reviews have disappeared from this site for some reason. This is not a very professional school. My child recently turned in a project that would have exceeded honey creek standards and received an F on it at his new school. The new school is the first to let me know there is a problem with another student. At Honey Creek I had to fight to be heard and was encouraged to believe my child was lying to me at home, consistently, and basically exhibiting a secret horrific side that I knew nothing about. Upon investigation, which I had to perform alone, I learned what was really happening, and how inappropriately my child was addressed by staff. One teacher actuallty threw markers at the wall when irritated, and also took kids into the hallway to perform what another parent described as "character assasination". Do not send your kids here.

My grandson attended this school for three years before moving out of state. We had a wonderful experience in grades K-2. The teachers are creative and they know their students very well. The environment is warm and supportive from the administrators to the specialty staff. I particularly like the emphasis on teaching the children to accept individual differences. In addition I like the curriculum that helps student learn to resolve conflicts and avoid bullying.

We have our daughter there, and we are really happy with everything. From teaching level to social interact. Is an school not only focus on reach the highest level of the annual program, also focus on each children feelings. Thank you very much Honey Creek Community School.

My son went here for K-1 and now he goes to our local public school and what a difference. I found out my son was starting 2nd grade way behind in his reading and writing. He never learned out how to form his letters and needed a lot of work on his reading. It was a harsh reality to find out he wasn't learning anything in 2 years. There is way too much "Free choice" and very little instruction, even in gym class. Also, they do not celebrate any normal holidays or even say the Pledge of Elegance. Now in public school my son is doing great and has caught up to his reading level. I did like the swimming lessons they offered but swimming during the week was useless because of no instruction. The aftercare was good and the summer camp was good, too but academics were very poor. Do lots of research before deciding.

it is a very great school, everybody should go there. It is very great school!!! Everybody should go there

Last modified Honey Creek Community School is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.