Ann Arbor, MI
Before care: Yes

Posted August 27, 2014
This school has a committed, caring staff. Decisions are made with input from all stakeholders, and the good of the individual is considered as well as the good of the entire group. Approachable, dynamic teachers & principal, and friendly supportive office staff. Every year, high schools students flock to visit on their days off. That's a testament.

Posted May 13, 2014
My second grader is thriving. He is happy and eager to go to school. At times I have wondered if he was learning enough because I was used to a stricter Montessori setting, but he is indeed learning tons. Music and art are part of the weekly schedules. Teachers are friendly, casual and approachable. The kids there are smart, interesting funny little people interested in the world. There seems to be a fairly large international community. I counted five languages being spoken at our after school soccer game. I love that. As for bullying, I asked my son if he knew any bullies and he said he had only ever seen a bully on TV, never at Ann Arbor open. There really is a culture of kindness and acceptance there. It is a lesson taught as much as anything else. I think that has value in my sons development that is immeasurable. I can see the influence that this happy community has on his overall good attitude in life. There are a few teachers who parents grumble about but overall, it is a great place to raise happy, confident, interesting kids.

Posted September 26, 2013
What a wonderful school for community learning, building relationships, self discovery in education. Everyone is involved in every single child.

Posted September 11, 2013
Wonderful colleagues, a principal who goes to any length for every student and staff member. Supportive and creative parents.

Posted September 11, 2013
Ann Arbor Open at Mack is an absolutely wonderful school! From their magnificent principal, to their amazing teachers, this school has been a treasure for our son. AAO is unlike most public schools, as each student is nurtured and celebrated to their full potential, with the support and growth that they individually need. AAO is also very parent involved. For example, one parent (who is a writer) has chosen to volunteer weekly to teach the kids how to write poetry. Another organizes the sale of SCRIPP. Others may volunteer to do something only for a few hours, like working at the multicultural fair. We all help to make our child's experience here as successful as possible.I believe our kids are richer on the inside for being a part of the AAO family. The jump from 5th to 6th grade is such a big one for most kids, but this year was very smooth for my son, as he continues at AAO and will remain there until he enters high school in the 9th grade. Bullying is not tolerated and out-casting social clicks aren't prevalent. Everyone is a part of this big family, from K-8th grade. As parents we cherish the love and excitement that our son has about going to school and learning! J.Nelson

Ann Arbor Open at Mack School 2

Posted May 16, 2012
There is a flaw in the system when there is an entire school worth of kids who are wait-listed because they didn't win the lottery to get into this school. Some of us moved into the district a week after kindergarten registration, so our kids will never have a chance to see if they'd thrive in an open school environment. What is more cutting is that we live two blocks from the school, and have to pass the school on our long, dangerous journey to our kids' distant and apparently lacking schools. That would be easier if many of the Mack parents weren't rude drivers who block the crosswalks as we try to leave our neighborhood to walk to our far-away school. Why aren't there two open schools in A2 so that all kid who wanted an open school could go to one, and not have to leave the neighborhood they love to do so?

Posted June 14, 2011
I chose Mack Open over Burns Park for my children. Here they were thriving, they were learning because they really wanted to - they were constantly inspired, encouraged by the best human beings, their teachers. They were always encouraged to express their own opinions, never told that they have no right to speak because they are children - they were always LISTENED TO - something that does not happen unfortunately in other schools. My children were encouraged to think independently, seek their own solutions and ask their peers advice first before turning to and adult. What a life lesson! Teachers in Ann Arbor Open are exceptional in a sense that they are not offering ready made solutions, orders, drills etc. They provide kids with tools to find their own answers. They support the creation of an independent, self motivated individual not a cookie cutter kid churned out by tests, drills and fear of an adult. I would encourage any parent to visit this school and talk to the children there - they will be able to express themselves very eloquently and describe their school environment in the best possible way!

Ann Arbor Open at Mack School 1

Posted May 23, 2011
This school is bad news. Not all the teachers know their subjects very well. Some teachers are intimidating students and some don't reply to your emails. They really don't give out text books. Bad news.

Posted May 09, 2010

Posted March 21, 2010

Ann Arbor Open at Mack School
920 Miller Avenue, Ann Arbor, MI  48103
(734) 994-1910
Last modified Ann Arbor Open at Mack School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ann Arbor Open at Mack School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 40 reviews. Top