Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Not enough (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Staff member (1 response)

Haisley Elementary School 2

Posted May 23, 2016
I am not a complainer. That being said, I do have some complaints about Haisley. My son went there from second through fifth grade. We had an awesome intro year with Ms. Everett. Couldn't ask for a better teacher. After that, not great experiences. Especially fifth- I have to say that my son (while having fun his last year), was woefully underprepared for middle school. Fifth grade he would come home with no homework regularly, and didn't do a single long-term project. Honestly one of my biggest complaints was one of the office staff. Flat out rude and always made me feel like I was imposing on her when I needed something. It made for a very unwelcoming atmposhere and I always left with a bad taste in my mouth. The other office staff was amazing.

Grateful to: Staff member

Posted February 11, 2016
Office staff is wonderful. They are kind and hard working. They are really nice to the kids.

Amount of homework: Not enough

Posted February 11, 2016
The homework is a waste of time and too easy for most students. I compared it with friends at Angell and I couldn't believe it.

Develops grit: Disagree

Posted February 11, 2016
This school focuses on low achieving students and leave average and high achievers to fend for themselves.

Haisley Elementary School 2

Posted February 11, 2016
Kids were not ready for middle school. The middle school teachers are very open in letting parents know that Haisley students don't come in prepared (especially in math). The third grade is a mess. There are really no great options there. Last year we had 30 kids in our class and the principal had no idea how to advocate for the students (and teachers) at the district level. I moved my kids over to Wines and it was the right move. You can really see the difference. The buck stops at the principal and this principal has been shuffled from school to school. The school (while not perfect) was much better under previous leadership. Parents have voiced concerned to the district but nothing has changed. It's no surprise that this school's "great school" rating has gone from 9 to 7. The good thing to know about Ann Arbor is if you move into a specific area and you're aligned to a school, you can do school of choice in Feb/March. A good way to know the good schools is to look at the schools that are leftover with space after school of choice. Haisley is one of them. Hope the district steps in and turns this school around. It can be great again.

Haisley Elementary School 3

Posted June 27, 2014
As I look back on my years at Haisley, I see fun times, but also times of great boredom. In some classes, teachers failed to challenge me. One teacher let me finish the math book and then do whatever I want for a month before the end of school. Another teacher ranked kids by how smart they were. Other memories were better, with fun, engaging teachers who challenged and encouraged their students to do their best. The current principal is doing an average job. Sometimes I felt she was talking to 5th graders in a voice that should be used for little kids. That experience was not ideal. This is my view on the school, and may not match others. I am trying to voice a student's perspective.

Haisley Elementary School 5

Posted April 22, 2013
A wonderful, caring, progressive, open environment for kids to enjoy their first years of school. From the principal, Mrs. Scarnecchia, to every one of the teachers I have encountered (especially Mrs. McGee!!), I have found this school to be above and beyond expectations. VERY happy with it!!!

Haisley Elementary School 3

Posted January 10, 2013
I am only giving this school 3 stars because the principle is aweful. The teachers are super awesome. I have heard from several parents that she is abrasive, cold and fake. However the teachers are incredible.

Haisley Elementary School 5

Posted August 23, 2011
So sad to hear that the current principal retired. She was fantastic! Really cares about kids and is always around in the hallways, on the playground and in classrooms. She has really turned around the bullying problem and all three of my children feel happy and safe. The education they receive at Haisley is top notch!

Posted April 14, 2010
The school has been a top notch school for over 50 years!

825 Duncan Street, Ann Arbor, MI  48103
Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 35 reviews. (734) 994-1937
Last modified Haisley Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.