Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

My daughter started Haisley Young 5's this fall and we could not be happier with the experience so far. The teacher is outstanding and the way instruction is structured has been excellent for her. I love the diversity in the entire school population, and all the opportunities to connect and be involved with the school and community. The new principal, Kelly House, is energetic, intelligent, approachable, and completely dedicated to making Haisley the best it can be. I have high hopes that my daughter will continue to thrive here in our neighborhood school through 5th grade.

This is the third year my daughter and son have been at Haisley. They have both loved every year. Their Young 5, kindergarten, first, and second grade teachers have *all* been excellent--enthusiastic, organized, and effective. Both my kids love school and are happily engaged in their learning. My husband and I really appreciate the school culture's emphasis on kindness and community.

I am not a complainer. That being said, I do have some complaints about Haisley. My son went there from second through fifth grade. We had an awesome intro year with Ms. Everett. Couldn't ask for a better teacher. After that, not great experiences. Especially fifth- I have to say that my son (while having fun his last year), was woefully underprepared for middle school. Fifth grade he would come home with no homework regularly, and didn't do a single long-term project. Honestly one of my biggest complaints was one of the office staff. Flat out rude and always made me feel like I was imposing on her when I needed something. It made for a very unwelcoming atmposhere and I always left with a bad taste in my mouth. The other office staff was amazing.

Amount of homework: Disagree

The homework is a waste of time and too easy for most students. I compared it with friends at Angell and I couldn't believe it.

Kids were not ready for middle school. The middle school teachers are very open in letting parents know that Haisley students don't come in prepared (especially in math). The third grade is a mess. There are really no great options there. Last year we had 30 kids in our class and the principal had no idea how to advocate for the students (and teachers) at the district level. I moved my kids over to Wines and it was the right move. You can really see the difference. The buck stops at the principal and this principal has been shuffled from school to school. The school (while not perfect) was much better under previous leadership. Parents have voiced concerned to the district but nothing has changed. It's no surprise that this school's "great school" rating has gone from 9 to 7. The good thing to know about Ann Arbor is if you move into a specific area and you're aligned to a school, you can do school of choice in Feb/March. A good way to know the good schools is to look at the schools that are leftover with space after school of choice. Haisley is one of them. Hope the district steps in and turns this school around. It can be great again.

As I look back on my years at Haisley, I see fun times, but also times of great boredom. In some classes, teachers failed to challenge me. One teacher let me finish the math book and then do whatever I want for a month before the end of school. Another teacher ranked kids by how smart they were. Other memories were better, with fun, engaging teachers who challenged and encouraged their students to do their best. The current principal is doing an average job. Sometimes I felt she was talking to 5th graders in a voice that should be used for little kids. That experience was not ideal. This is my view on the school, and may not match others. I am trying to voice a student's perspective.

A wonderful, caring, progressive, open environment for kids to enjoy their first years of school. From the principal, Mrs. Scarnecchia, to every one of the teachers I have encountered (especially Mrs. McGee!!), I have found this school to be above and beyond expectations. VERY happy with it!!!

I am only giving this school 3 stars because the principle is aweful. The teachers are super awesome. I have heard from several parents that she is abrasive, cold and fake. However the teachers are incredible.

So sad to hear that the current principal retired. She was fantastic! Really cares about kids and is always around in the hallways, on the playground and in classrooms. She has really turned around the bullying problem and all three of my children feel happy and safe. The education they receive at Haisley is top notch!

The school has been a top notch school for over 50 years!

Last modified Haisley Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.