Bad
Good

We love Allen School. Our first grader is having a wonderful experience so far. The K/1 teachers are all kind and enthusiastic. The art teacher (mentioned negatively in another review) is very process based rather than product based, so although our son doesn't bring home outstanding creations, he transformed from an art hater to an art lover within weeks of starting Kindergarten. We think she's a miracle worker. Overall, there is a real community feel here and we are very happy at Allen.

Allen is a good school situated in a middle class neighborhood. There is not much bullying here. Kids here do have their hard times as in any other school. There are many lower income families who bring children here for better education. Nothing much remarkable stands out. Bringing the status to focus school has helped bring the quality of education up. Teachers are making visible effort to help students progress. They have a new gym teacher who has brought change to PT which kids like. Art teacher is mediocre. If you want your kids to bring home something fantastic then look somewhere else. Media is good. New principal still needs to make a big impact. PTO is a closed group who don't like change. You can attend meetings, may be say things, but ultimately it is 4 or 5 people who will decide everything.

My twins are now entering 1st grade. We moved back into the Ann Arbor district specifically for the kids to attend Kindergarten at this school. We have so far been delighted with our experience. Great level of communication between teachers and parents. Responsive and caring attitude to the needs of my children as individuals. Involved parents, well-adjusted kids. We love the diversity of cultures and the open and friendly atmosphere overall. Test scores here are higher than some other area schools with higher "Great school scores," despite many students coming in with English as a second language. We are very happy to be a part of this school and I recommend it!

We attended Allen for 1 year. My daughter got hurt twice in gym class. The gym teacher leaves the kids alone while she goes into her office. I tried to tell the office this but I was ignored. My daughter got her lip busted open when her and another child bumped into each other, they were completely unsupervised. It happen on many occasions. The rest of the faculty was amazing but I did not like being ignored when I came to my childs safety.

I was very nervous about sending my kids to school but Allen has been great. I'm always impressed with the whole staff. The people who work here really seem to enjoy it. There are lots of smiles and friendly words. My kids enjoy all their teachers and the lunchroom monitors. I am quite happy here.

My son has attended Allen Elementary School for 2 years (3d and 4th grades) and this experience could not be better. Believe me, I am a demanding parent; but I agree with every single word in the April 1, 2012 post. We are moving from Ann Arbor this summer and I consider leaving the schools our biggest lost. I wish I found a school of this level and this quality in our new place; and I wish every kid in this country would attend a school like ALLEN !

One of my two children attended Allen K - 5 and this experience still remains her favorite and she is now in 7th grade. Many of the wonderful teachers @ Allen are considered 2nd and 3rd "mothers" to this day. Our youngest 2nd child is in first grade and loving her experience as well. My husband and I are hesitant to ever leave the Allen community because of the wonderful success our two daughters have experienced. The diversity, discipline, strong curriculum, and sense of community Allen brings to its students and families has us committed to stay for as long as we possibly can Thank you Allen Staff!.

Allen is a fantastic school in a great community. Parents are always welcome and are encouraged to be involved. The teachers and principal are amazing and most have been at the school for many years. This makes Allen a community itself and has made my son's education seamless year to year. We are so pleased with our experience there and would recommend the school to family and friends alike.

Great school. My children are really happy here. The parents are made to feel very welcome whenever they visit and each child seems to be valued.

Allen is a wonderful school. There is a fantastic community feel and the students are very diverse. I love that Allen includes diversity in its mission statement. Ms. Fitz is a caring and invested principal and the teachers are fantastic. We have been very pleased with this school.

Last modified John Allen School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.