Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Not enough (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered School leader (1 response)

Northside Elementary School 5

Posted July 09, 2016
Transfering to this school was the best thing for our son. He was extremely unhappy when we were in another district and we finally decided we had to make a change. We started at Northside during the STEAM inaugural year of 2014. The project based learning has been a great fit for him and he loves project lead the way. The teachers and staff have been great and I have found them to be very kind and caring.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted July 09, 2016
The teachers are top notch. They are the best of the best. They do a great job.

Develops grit: Agree

Posted July 09, 2016
I wouldn't use the team grit, although I suppose that is a popular buzz word at the moment. I do think it develops persistenc and determination. The projects they work on (at least at the 5+'level) are lengthy and involved.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted July 09, 2016
The overall theme for the 2015-2016 school year was about compassion and caring for others and the environment.

Northside Elementary School 2

Posted July 04, 2016
I was visiting the school and I did not feel very comfortable with the environment. A couple kids were screaming at each other in the hallway and it seemed to me that the assistant principal was more amused by this than concerned. Because I am a parent, I know that kids are going to scream at each other from time to time, but I don't think it is ever appropriate for an administrator to find the screaming amusing.

Develops respect: Disagree

Posted July 04, 2016
Same reason as before...respect can not develop in an environment where an authority figure comes across as being amused by a screaming match.

Develops empathy: Disagree

Posted July 04, 2016
Again, if an administrator comes across as being amused by student conflicts, in my opinion, that does not promote compassion or empathy.

Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted July 04, 2016
If an assistant principal finds a conflict among students to be amusing that is a huge warning sign to me that something is not right at the school.

Grateful to: Staff member

Posted July 04, 2016
I think the school secretaries are very kind and welcoming. They greeted me with a smile and they seemed to listen intently to each parent that came in.

Teacher effectiveness: Somewhat effective

Posted July 04, 2016
I haven't met many of the teachers, but I do know from working in public relations that leadership can have a huge impact on the ability of employees to do their job. I have seen this occur in many different work environments...if the person in charge treats serious situations like a joke that is never a good sign.

912 Barton Drive, Ann Arbor, MI  48105
Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 46 reviews. (734) 994-1958
Last modified Northside Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.