Bad
Good

The undercurrent of cliquishness and bullying that runs through Slauson creates a general atmosphere that one would expect to find in a medium security prison. Respect, tolerance and kindness have no importance in this school, and will probably remain irrelevant until they are included on the MEAP or turned into competitive sports. There is one prepackaged (and state mandated) anti bullying assembly in the fall which the principal feels is sufficient for the year, and which has zero impact on the kids. There is no dialogue or engagement with the kids, ever, about how people should treat each other. There is also no meaningful adult supervision at lunch and outside of school in the morning. Academically, the main emphasis is on student organization rather than learning. If your child has 7 teachers, they will use Powerschool 7 different ways - because they can. There are a few really amazing teachers here, and the music program is good, but other than that, this school is about adaptation, worksheet learning, and survival of the toughest.

Like so many Ann Arbor schools, this is a place where many teachers earn tenure and can sit back waiting to retire. If even 10% of the teachers are awful, that's 10% too many in my view, but nothing can be done. It's true that this school is extremely cliquey, a result of the very cliquey neighborhood of families surrounding it. That seems to set the tone of the school and enough kids are able to muddle through with the bad teachers that no admin has the guts to confront poor job performance. Social environment that is hostile and bullying to some of the kids is a-okay. This school caters completely to the 60-70% who can thrive with little support or genuine challenge, the rest are just written off as misfits. We're still debating the inconvenience of transferring out. It's hard to abandon the local school but every day feels like a compromise, honestly.

Although in a lot of ways, Slauson has good academics, I think that a few of the teachers and a lot of the students leave something to be desired. The teachers in question not only don't cover the material in a manner in which it is easy to understand, but often introduce situations that put students in an uncomfortable amount of stress, usually unnecessarily. And even though I've never been the target of bullying, you never have to look far to see or hear someone being singled out negatively. At times, even violence has occurred. While I've made some of the best friends of my life there and had great experiences, Slauson still has a ways to go. - A 7th Grade Student

I hate this school. The teachers dont care about anything but their paychecks and don't challenge the kids whatsoever. the kids are jerks, and swearing and vulgarity are tolarated. It's full of jerks and is covered with spraypaint. If you want to be bullied this is your school. I moved here 4 months ago and kids already don't accept me. I would LOVE to transfer out of this school.

This is my second year at Slauson (7th grade) and I think it is a great school! The kids here are so nice, you'll have no trouble making new friends! The curriculum is top notch, same goes for the teachers who teach it! I've learned so much at this school and I know the knowledge i've gained will help me toward getting a college education. (:

We have left this school and know we made the right decision. The kids are way too cliquey and immature; very few good teachers, a place not one of my kids looked forward to, so we finally made a change for the better. The admin is trying, but they need major changes over there.

This school excells in so many ways! Academically, with great teachers, great staff, great music programs, great sports opportunities. We are very happy with the education our two children are getting from Slauson!

I have attended Slauson Middle School for 2 years now and I still think it is way too easy. The teachers have very low expectations for us and do not supply us as many challenges as we need.

This school is run as though most of the teachers and administration is afraid of the students. They have low expectations and rarely challenge them, or don't bother to be inspirational. Most of the teachers just want to get the kids through the system to high school. I'm sure that Slauson students rank among the poorest academically at Pioneer HS.

This is my second year at Slauson, and it's not a bad school. The rules are a bit strict, but you'll live.

Last modified Slauson Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.