Ann Arbor, MI

Posted October 17, 2014
My son recently graduated from Scarlett and is moving on to Huron High School. I've had nothing but great experiences through his time at Scarlett (well, he's a teenager but mostly great experiences). The staff have been extremely attentive and he is now fully bilingual thanks to the free after-school programs from the U-Mich school of ed. I've seen bad reviews thanks to state test scores but my experience has been all positive!

Scarlett Middle School 4

Posted August 15, 2014
I've had two children go through Scarlett Middle School. Both have come out well rounded, well educated and committed to furthering their education! We've experienced a few issues with 1 or 2 teachers, but what school doesn't have that? In 8 years of middle school, I don't think that's unreasonable. The IEP program is top notch and the administration worked with my child's schedule to make sure time out of class for additional help didn't conflict with core curriculum. As with all primary education though, results are best when parents, teachers and children work together to achieve the same goal. In my experience, teachers have been easy to contact and responded in a timely fashion, with realistic solutions and expectations. Sad to hear that Scarlett's old reputation is a deterrent for parents. This is NOT the same school as the last generation.

Posted March 21, 2014
..I forgot to mention something, the band, choir, and orchestra program will knock your socks off!!!! Ms. Fitzgerald is the band teacher and I cannot tell you how dedicated she is to these kids, did I mention the U of M partnership and how amazing this experience has been....Don't be fooled by the gossip, come and sit in these classrooms, you will be amazed......

Scarlett Middle School 2

Posted March 08, 2014
The school is very cheap . I remember when my daughter and her teammates had to pay five dollars and all they got were Little Ceasers pizza. The teachers are amazing though.

Scarlett Middle School 2

Posted December 19, 2013
Scarlett has a strong principal and good teachers. If your student wants to do well and is motivated, he/she can be well prepared for high school by going to Scarlett. That said, the school has its share of problems. For one, the transient student population is high, as well as students that come from disadvantaged socio-economic backgrounds and that is a challenge for the school. It does affect statndardized test scores. This issue needs to be a major concern for the school district and the principal, but unfortunately I don't see anything changing from that perspective. Until the school district better balances out the proportion of disadvantaged students with its other schools, Scarlett will continue to rank low as it the remainder of the student population can't compensate for the test scores. This is a very challenging environment for the princpal. But that said, 40% of the school did make the honor role in its most recent term. That is good news.
2 people found this helpful

Posted September 28, 2013
I am a 7th grade student at Scarlett! I loved my last 2 years at scarlett. Scarlett middle school has always been a awesome school and it always will be. People always say bad stuff about scarlett and I always thought that too but then one I tried it I LOVED it!!!!! It is an awesome school. Everyone there cares about one another. SCARLETT IS AN AWESOME PLACE TO BE!!!

Posted September 21, 2013
I love Scarlett, the teachers plan fun lessons and care about your success. Scarlett teachers stay after school hours to help students get their grade up if they need it. -submitted by current Scarlett 7th grader

Posted September 21, 2013
I have a student who has moved on to high school after attending Scarlett and another child still there. My kids are very different from one another but both have been well-served by Scarlett. We've experienced children needing additional challenge in class, as well as additional support for a class. The teachers provided what was needed in both situations. The principal is always available and knows each student by name. My boys have always felt welcome to go see him about any issues they were experiencing in middle school. I tire of people speaking poorly of Scarlett, only to discover their opinions are based on hearsay and not personal current-day experience. My children have experienced many passionate, dedicated, talented teachers at Scarlett. It has been a positive experience for our family.

Posted September 09, 2013
As a parent to a current 7th grader, I think Scarlett is an excellent school. The principal is engaged and shows leadership and presence. The teachers are great and very involved! Scarlett is the most diverse middle school in Ann Arbor and this affects their scores in comparison to the other schools. However, the extracurricular opportunities and education given are outstanding!

Scarlett Middle School 1

Posted September 21, 2010
Scarlett Middle School has always been the worst of Ann Arbor's middle schools. It's ten-times worse than the other three combined and Dr. Edmondson was extremely over-rated. Teachers are the kind of hands-off "do-your-own-work" types who don't inform pupils or parents about tests or assignments, and let classroom bullies keep good kids down. It's just disgusting that teachers and administrators can have so little accountability.

Scarlett Middle School
3300 Lorraine Street, Ann Arbor, MI  48108
Last modified Scarlett Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Scarlett Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 22 reviews. Top