No rating

Summers-Knoll School

Private | K-6 | 1 student

Living in Ann Arbor

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $205,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,080.

Posted June 6, 2014

I am grateful every day that this school exists. The head of school has created an atmosphere of exploration, curiosity, respect and tolerance that I have not seen in any other school. These are the nicest, smartest kids you could meet anywhere, and they genuinely support each other's learning. The curriculum includes Latin, art, and music for all kids, all grades, in addition to the 4 core subjects. Students can progress at their own pace in math. Writing assignments are interesting and relevant. The teachers seem to really enjoy the kids, and the kids love school.

Posted June 11, 2013

We enjoy being part of this school and community. School Head and all the teachers are extra-ordinary people that see education as a life long expericence, not only loading data. Every kid is different and members of this school are not here for easy way out. They are not trying to put all individuals in the same mold. This school respects differences and acknowledges that all good things come from people that can find the best in themselves, not necessarily the normal as others perceive. You can see a 2nd grader working on 5th grade math at her own pace. This is not reflected to others as fearce competition. Teachers achieve to promote this as a positive motivation factor focusing on strengths of all. Our son started Summers Knoll in 2012 as a 2nd grader after a not so good experience with a Montessori school in the area. If you are a parent excepting your children the way they are and what to bring out the best in them not necessarily what is best for you or others, this is the school and community you should be part of. Go Summers Knoll.

Posted April 6, 2012

After finding out that we were being transferred for my husband's job in the middle of the school year, my first thought was about my son and his transition. We visited several schools in the Ann Arbor area. We came from a Parochial background and felt certain that we would maintain that course. I visited several websites, did lots of research and settled on a long list of schools to visit. Summers-Knoll was our first stop. From the moment we came through the front door, we were welcomed by staff, parents dropping their children off and even students. They approached us with warmth and a very high level of self confidence. It is true that it doesn't feel as structured as a traditional school, but isn't that one of the reasons we are seeking out alternatives? Traditional environments can be great for many students. For my son, we feel most comfortable at S-K. Our son is thriving! His creativity is being developed and praised. His self confidence is constantly being built up. There aren't any sports programs offered after school, but there are tons offered through the parks and recreations in A2 and the surrounding areas. Bottom line, S-K is passionate about their students learning!

Posted November 7, 2011

The teachers at this school are exceptionally dedicated, thoughtful, innovative and caring. I am thankful for the school every day- and in response to the parent who thought there was a lack of communication with parents, I have found that teachers are extremely approachable, connected, and responsive and they all post on their class blogs so you can get a sense of what is going on at all times. My child is having an amazing experience at this school she is learning to love learning.

Posted September 1, 2011

Lack of communication with parents. No homework assignments, so parents have no clue how a child is doing and WHAT he is doing at school until it is a time for a parent and teacher conference. Elitist spirit of the school is very disappointing.

Posted August 21, 2011

Perfect elementary school for my gifted but dyslexic son who attended this school for 3 years. He found a group of friends, enjoyed learning, and developed leadership and self-advocacy skills. Highly recommended without reservation.

Posted June 8, 2011

My son has had an exceptional year at Summers-Knoll and I could not be happier with his experience. It is a nurturing yet demanding environment with abundant creative learning methods. Not only has my son learned a great deal academically, the school emphasizes personal responsibility in interactions with others and with regard to the community and environment. It is a truly wonderful thing to watch the students from five years old to pre-teens playing and interacting together. I highly recommend S-K.

Posted January 30, 2011

As an educator, I was familiar with the effectiveness of activity-based learning (themes that integrate multiple subjects and experiences that utilize new knowledge/skills). Even then, our son s transformation over the last five months as a kindergartener has been beyond our imagination. After the first French class, he came back counting to 12 and now enjoys watching French movies. He made tremendous improvements in his art, and I get unsolicited compliments on his artwork in my office frequently. He is making strides in learning to read, and recently I found out rather accidentally that he could do multiplication and division. They also teach the importance of caring for one another and for the environment. He absolutely loves being at school so much that he complains when I pick him up early! S-K is giving him a high-quality body of knowledge and experiences that only a school with this unique approach, curriculum flexibility, and terrific teachers can provide (including frequent field trips like horse-back riding, theatres and museums). Great teachers, bright and kind kids, and friendly and committed parents create this amazing community. I cannot recommend S-K highly enough.

Posted January 17, 2010

I am a former student of this school, and I had a great experience overall at the school. It was an amazing experience that not only was the best thing for me at that time, but has helped me now that I am in the public school system. Summers-Knoll provides a great, unique atmosphere in which to learn and have a good time. The teachers at the school are very effective in helping you learn. They give you a lot of personal attention and time to work. They suit what they do to the student and not a class as a whole, which enhances the learning experience for each kid. The teachers are high quality and say respectful things. They show class while being good with kids in a class environment that stresses the kid not the teacher.

Posted October 7, 2009

Because it allowed my son to learn at his own rate and in his own style.

Posted September 18, 2009

I'm a parent and have been at Summers-Knoll for a few years now. The school is an amazing place that nurtures the creativity and intelligence of its students in wonderfully creative ways. I never cease to be amazed by the new and interesting curricula at the school. Problems did once exist in the management and direction of the school, but these have ended in recent years, with a whole new team in charge and really enthusiastic dedicated parents taking part in the direction of the school. The student body is highly diverse along any scale you would care to use. Scholarship money is available to those in need, so don't let your income level scare you away from taking a look. I really can't recommend SK highly enough!! Oh, and this site is a bit out of date: SK is a K-5 school these days.

Posted May 23, 2009

My daughter attends Summers-Knoll and has just completed first grade. The teachers we have encountered so far are wonderful. The small class sizes allow the teachers to be very responsive the each individual child. My daughter always wants to go to school and comes home happy. The workbooks used for handwriting and math let us know she is getting the basics. Her reading has developed and she is so eager to learn. I love the way the little S-K buses take the kids all over town and beyond on field trips- often going out weekly in the younger grades. I love being able to drop by and see what is going on at any time.

Posted January 21, 2009

After I watched my son s school life at Summers-Knoll for half a year, I wish I could go back to such a wonderful elementary school. The fun-filled curriculum is motivating and educational. Homeroom teachers are capable, caring, creative, committed, and highly experienced. The extracurricular teachers are fantastic! Parents involvement adds another dimension and enriches the children s experience. The kids truly enjoy learning. They are taught according to their unique learning styles while they are being well-respected children. Different personalities thrive at Summers-Knoll. This is an amazing place if you can get a spot!

Posted December 28, 2008

I knew this was the right school for my child the first time I visited Summers-Knoll. The atmosphere is warm and inviting, and the small size makes it easy for all the children to know one another. The small class sizes also allow the teachers to provide individualized instruction. My son is eager to go to school each day and seems to truly enjoy every aspect of the school. His academic and social skills have developed considerably even in the few months he has been enrolled. I find Summers-Knoll to be the ideal educational environment for gifted children.

Posted December 22, 2008

Summers Knoll is a wonderful place. I have a child who comes home happy every day. The teachers and staff are extremely supportive, as are the families involved with the school. The school philosophy is to view each child as a unique individual. My child is being taught in a way that suits his needs right now. After several months, I can see how he has grown and developed in many areas-social, emotional and academic. They are also able to provide unique experiences to help fill the minds of children who never stop wondering why the world is as it is. I would highly recommend Summers Knoll for people looking for a warm environment that honors children and teaches the whole being.

Posted December 21, 2008

I am a parent of a kindergartener at Summers-Knoll and we have loved what the school has had to offer our child. Our son comes to school every day excited to begin learning and leaves school brimming with new information, adventures and insights. I think it's a wonderful school, with a robust parent community and a solid curriculum that focuses on skills development, creativity and excellent teaching. Our son's reading and math skills have gone through the roof, in a matter of months he has picked up new french language skills and has been exposed to a great music and arts curriculum. I am sure there are challenges at S-K, as there are in any school environment, as well as trade offs. But I feel that S-K offers a challenging and exciting educational experience truly customized for my son. It's worth the money and a joy to be part of.

Posted September 5, 2008

this school is terrible its tiny and has no money so theres no textbooks or anything and no after school activities and NO SPORTS

Posted March 31, 2008

After one year of Atendance at Summers Knool I realized the lack of school resourses such as text books made it hard to learn. It has some benifites but there is not many other after school activitys.

Posted December 6, 2007

I love SK, I just started going here and I'm really excited about it!

Posted September 3, 2007

I have had two children attend Summers-Knoll as middle school students, and both of them felt that it was a life-saving experience. They felt welcomed, accepted for who they are, challenged with unusual and invigorating experiences, and truly loved and cared for as unique human beings. They have gone on to high school now and are ahead of the game as far as both academics and social comfort are concerned. I loved SK as much as they did, and am hugely grateful for the innovativie, rich approach that these great teachers have.

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Multiracial 17% 2%
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 3%
African-American 2% 19%

Teacher resources

Foreign languages spoken by school staff French
Chinese (Mandarin)
Nepalese
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

• Nepalese

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Gifted / high performing

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school
  • Ms. Joanna Hastings
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

Foreign languages spoken by staff
  • Nepalese

School culture

Dress Code
  • Neither uniforms nor dress code