Auburn Hills, MI
Students enrolled: 1,029

Posted April 02, 2015
I am a graduate of AHS, attended Avondale District my entire school career, and still live within the Avondale community. It is an absolutely phenomenal place to be. Not only did I receive an excellent education, but the entire district and community is both friendly and welcoming. The diversity in the district is astounding and gives both students and families an opportunity to become culturally educated. I recommend this district again and again to families and encourage everyone to consider Avondale School District.

Avondale High School 2

Posted March 27, 2015
First off, The band Program is PHENOMENAL! The teacher is a nice young person who really knows what he's doing. The schools Academic Center(AC) was very helpful to me. The problem is discipline/administration. AHS has changed, and the administration doesn't handle/resolve the problems the way they should be. I had many problems here. THE ONLY REASON I STAYED WAS FOR THE BAND PROGRAM! While you have the chance, DONT come here for 9th-12th. THE MIDDLE SCHOOL IS EXCELLENT! Then, after that, I suggest you find a new district.

Avondale High School 2

Posted February 05, 2015
I have two children and two nieces who attend Avondale (K-12). The teachers are hit and miss; at best. Some care and do a good job - the problem is that my children always seem to get a healthy dose of the one who teach off of YouTube.com before getting the good teacher. This puts them behind (AKA: there is a lack of continuity throughout the school.). Some of the assumptions made about me and my children are appalling. My daughter returned from a funeral to be greeted by "glad you finally decided to show up." As is she had been skipping. However, I called and told them 3 times. The band teacher is nice, but even someone who is scatterbrained is more organized & less overwhelmed. It makes it very difficult to keep up. We are currently investigating another district to move to. There is also the additional problem of the ranking - more to the point the removal of it. It doesn't hurt college applications, but it does affect the amount of grants or scholarships that are available to them. It pains me that Avondale has crumbled before my eyes. My children are the 3rd generation to attend. This is NOT the Avondale my family once knew.
2 people found this helpful

Posted March 25, 2014
This school is amazing. The teachers are helpful, the students are all so nice, and you can definitely tell that Avondale cares. I'm very pleased to go here. And I love how everyone gets involved in everything, and there isn't really a separation between students due to cliques. It makes for a nice learning environment, knowing that you're surrounded by people who care

Avondale High School 4

Posted November 02, 2010
I am a graduate of this school...class of 1974. During the years I spent there, I found the teachers and staff to be very dedicated and willing to go the extra mile to ensure a student's success. I feel that I received a very competitive education there...the only thing that hindered me was myself. I remember my years there fondly. I am amazed by the growth and improvement in the facility...and just a touch jealous that I missed some of the improvements.

Posted January 27, 2010
This school is amazing..the disclipline is very good as well they dont let the kids run wild like other public schools.

Posted October 12, 2009
I very much enjoy attending this school on a daily basis. The work load is not super hard but it challenges me just enough. The teachers are very nice and extremely helpful when it comes to the work. If there is ever a time when you do not understand something, there are multiple oportunities to recieve extra help. They have many extracuricular activites to get students involved. The school spirit is awesome and unlike any other school in the area.

Posted October 17, 2008
I have a child in Avondale high and Graham elementary and the work that they give these kids is outrageous, they think these kids are in college already, the work makes these kids struggle, it's not fare to them we did not have this type of work growing up in school, i will say if you are thinking about your kids attending don't it will be the worst mistake ever, i fill like i force my kids in this school district.

Posted October 10, 2008
Some teacher are very mean and some are not. the give out to much homework week days and weekends

Avondale High School 4

Posted October 09, 2008
We have several children in the Avondale school district - this is our 12th year. Our senior was 'falling through the cracks' and behind UNTIL she got to AHS. *Phenomenal* teacher involvement has helped turned our student into a college bound senior, who is active in several groups. Our teens enjoy high school - especially the staff. Teachers truly, truly care and know our children as individuals, and go the extra mile to help them succeed. The classes are cold and few have windows. Student dress code could be a bit more professional (pants hanging down is not conducive to an academic environment.) LOVE the academic centers where kids can catch up on missing assignments and get tutoring daily, if/when needed. Staff is just - impressive.

Avondale High School
2800 Waukegan Street, Auburn Hills, MI  48326
Last modified Avondale High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Avondale High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top