Auburn Hills, MI
Students enrolled: 1,029

Teacher effectiveness: Effective

Posted June 04, 2015
With solid, true, and dedicated leadership in the administration, they would be unstoppable! We have found that most are truly dedicated to their craft.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted June 04, 2015
We have not had an issue with the teaching staff at all other than having to wait a few weeks to see grades and assignments updated on the parent portal.

Develops grit: Strongly disagree

Posted June 04, 2015
No! Too much of a disconnect that even our child saids why bother! If anything is said all you get is into trouble...

Develops respect: Disagree

Posted June 04, 2015
No...students are either disciplined by the administration or left to deal with issues on their own!

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted June 04, 2015
The current administration is only concerned with maintaining some kind of order. If you are a student that has any type of concern, issue, disagreement, or your having difficulty fitting in or getting along with a group of others, there is no compassion and no one to help you work through them. It is truly sad to say...there is a HUGE disconnect with the student body and the current administration.

Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted June 04, 2015
If you don't act like a normal high school student with the usual craziness that goes on from time to time. If you are never talked to or dealt with and just go about your day all to yourself maybe...

Posted June 04, 2015
Our child is a freshman at Avondale High School. I am extremely disappointed in the current administration there. To me, they waste so much time "investigating" petty "crimes" that are a normal part of working with high school students, that they are failing to reach out or connect with the student body. The part that is most frustrating for me is that I work in the public school system as a building administrator, (23 years) and I find their priorities so upside down! If they would spend 1/2 of the time investing/connecting with ALL the students as they do their crazy "investigations", that school would be an amazing institution. They must be out and interacting with the student body on a daily basis! The building lacks real true leadership, a clear vision for the students, and a sense of belonging for all students. It is the "flag ship" of the Avondale School District and I feel that there is NO ONE at the helm steering the ship! The current administration needs solid training on LEADERSHIP ! They need to visit buildings where there is solid leadership such as the Middle School right there in the district. We were very happy at the Middle School, but this year is a totally different story! It is truly disappointing!

Avondale High School 5

Posted April 02, 2015
I am a graduate of AHS, attended Avondale District my entire school career, and still live within the Avondale community. It is an absolutely phenomenal place to be. Not only did I receive an excellent education, but the entire district and community is both friendly and welcoming. The diversity in the district is astounding and gives both students and families an opportunity to become culturally educated. I recommend this district again and again to families and encourage everyone to consider Avondale School District.

Posted March 27, 2015
First off, The band Program is PHENOMENAL! The teacher is a nice young person who really knows what he's doing. The schools Academic Center(AC) was very helpful to me. The problem is discipline/administration. AHS has changed, and the administration doesn't handle/resolve the problems the way they should be. I had many problems here. THE ONLY REASON I STAYED WAS FOR THE BAND PROGRAM! While you have the chance, DONT come here for 9th-12th. THE MIDDLE SCHOOL IS EXCELLENT! Then, after that, I suggest you find a new district.

Posted February 05, 2015
I have two children and two nieces who attend Avondale (K-12). The teachers are hit and miss; at best. Some care and do a good job - the problem is that my children always seem to get a healthy dose of the one who teach off of YouTube.com before getting the good teacher. This puts them behind (AKA: there is a lack of continuity throughout the school.). Some of the assumptions made about me and my children are appalling. My daughter returned from a funeral to be greeted by "glad you finally decided to show up." As is she had been skipping. However, I called and told them 3 times. The band teacher is nice, but even someone who is scatterbrained is more organized & less overwhelmed. It makes it very difficult to keep up. We are currently investigating another district to move to. There is also the additional problem of the ranking - more to the point the removal of it. It doesn't hurt college applications, but it does affect the amount of grants or scholarships that are available to them. It pains me that Avondale has crumbled before my eyes. My children are the 3rd generation to attend. This is NOT the Avondale my family once knew.
2 people found this helpful

2800 Waukegan Street, Auburn Hills, MI  48326
Last modified Avondale High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Avondale High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 26 reviews. Top