Lakeview High School

Public | 9-12 & ungraded | 1348 students

Posted January 27, 2009

great schools and great teachers.

Posted January 20, 2009

Lakeview is phenomenal as long as your child doesn't have any special needs. Believe it or not, the best place for those students is Battle Creek Central.

Posted January 17, 2009

I am a current student at LHS and love the school. We are in a new building and it is beautiful! The teaching staff is excellent. They are very attentive to the students and want them to succeed. They are always available before school and after school! We also have a lot of extra curricular activities. We have many different clubs and sports teams that you can try out for! LHS has a great staff that helps out around the school. The secretaries and pricipals are great! they are sooooo nice! We also have, what i think to have the best counselors! They will listen to anything you want to talk about and have great advice. They also help us to prepare for college early! Trying to get us to think early and plan ahead! Overall I love this school!!!!
—Submitted by a student

Posted December 25, 2008

I've moved a lot, and happened to move to Battle Creek. When I went to this school I was shocked by how terrible it was. Terrible building, almost falling apart, outdated furniture and equipment. Terrible staff, teachers do not care about the students, office workers are always angry at you, and are never helpful. Students do not take this school seriously, and as a result this place runs in chaos. This school is for troubled children who want to get a HS diploma and get on with their lives.
—Submitted by a student

Posted December 5, 2008

As a teacher I feel the need to update some of the older previous responses. LHS has a recycling club now that recycles, paper and plastic semi monthly. We have a new club called Rachel's Challenge that assists and helps new students feel welcomed. We also have a new after school program geared at students who are struggling academically. I feel that these changes as well as administration changes over the past year has further lifted our school to the best in the area. As for fine arts, we have a strong music program that is highly supported by administration. Our Drama department is fantasitic and puts on three shows a year. We have various Art classes as well as a new TV studio that puts on a daily news program. This is all run by LHS students. The arts are alive and well at LHS.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted November 13, 2008

Our family planned an out of state relocation last summer. We'd visited the new community several times, had family and friends there, and had chosen our children's schools - supposedly the best in the area. However, we returned to Michigan in spite of the failing economy because of one thing: Lakeview Schools. The curriculum is superb, the buildings are in good repair, and the staff is excellent. We have found most parents to be involved and friendly. Our only criticizm is the athletic program. While most coaches produce winning teams, one should ask 'at what cost?' Many coaches we've encountered at Lakeview seem to forget they are coaching children and are over-zealous & harsh w/ behavior bordering on emotional abuse. Good news is that there are so many activities & clubs from which to choose that your child can easily find their niche elsewhere as ours has.

Posted November 12, 2007

I love this school my kids love it!

Posted June 25, 2007

I was open to visit school whenever I wanted, I did. My questions were answered promptly and sincerely by teachers. The standards set at Lakeview are the highest in the area, I pay tution release to allow my kids to go here over other schools. If it is so bad why is it getting all the schools of choice kids wanting to go there, over 400 last year alone. That by iteself should tell you it's the school of choice in the area. The teaching staff is outstanding and really cares about the students. That is the most important thing to me as that is who my child is with all day long.

Posted June 10, 2007

I am not a parent of a child at Lakeview, but am a former LHS student. I am sad to read the reviews from others that feel that LHS is deteriorating in quality. I had amazing teachers. I do agree with one reviewer who said that there is a lack of regard for the arts. I have seen, since my graduation five years ago, a major disregard for the arts. Whether or not this is tied to the negative effects of NCLB, I do not know. However, I was a loyal student in the music program. I will also agree that while I was a student at LHS, it was apparent that the administration (really, just two administrators in particular) were unfair and unkind. It was also apparent that there was a lack of support for the teaching staff on the part of administrators.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted January 4, 2007

I have just moved my children to this area and have so far been severly disappointed with the lack of fairness so to speak about the students in general. I had a hard time just getting my b+ student enrolled in this school. I also dont feel they give enough attention to new kids who might not know the ropes they are pretty much left out there to sink or swim. This school system used to be top notch,, I think they have had a fall from grace. All schools have their problems, but this one is top of the list.

Posted May 19, 2006

My son is graduating this year from LHS and I was also a graduate. I feel his education was very good, as was mine. Quality was excellent, the educators did a good job and parent involvement was appreciated when given. I have found Lakeview to be an excellent environment for my son.

Posted February 21, 2005

I currently have 2 children at Lakeview High School - The only disappointments I have is the fact that the time off, for the teachers and staff, cuts into our summer together, lack of recycling efforts and the fact that it seems literally retarded when it comes to other cultures and arts, very white bred (I am not black or hispanic) To be 'World Class' you must understand other cultures and art, not fear them - I can only compare to what I know, but I believe overall my kids are getting a great education on the 3 r's - which is what schools basic function is. It is up to the parents to take it from there.

Posted December 14, 2004

My second child is now going through LHS. I am extremely disappointed in the deteriorating quality here. I mainly focus my frustration on administrative decisions, and the quality of the curriculum. The school district is so concerned with getting more money they will accept any and all students, irregardless of the students' past performance. A direct consequence of this is a total lack of compassion for all students, good ones included. LHS is becoming a police state with no discretion used for individual records. There is a lack of respect for students on the part of the administration. In turn, they do not receive the respect of the students. There is an atmosphere of coercion, bullying and threats. I would not recommend this school to anyone, there are others in the area that care about the quality of the education and the students more. It is sad to see.

Posted November 5, 2004

Like any school LHS has it's good points and it's not so good points. Good points-with the exception of one or two teachers, the teaching staff is excellent. They genuinely care about the students. They work their tails off and receive very little in return from the administration for it. Time and again the quality of teaching is listed as a strength for Lakeview and time and again the administration treats them poorly. Lakeview considers itself a 'world class' system. It makes me laugh when I read that. They aren't even the best in the county or state-let alone the world. Lakeview has always had an ego problem. Until they realize they are not the best they will not be able to move forward and truly become a better educational system for our children.

Posted September 29, 2004

I have had 3 children graduate in the last ten years, I feel the first child received a better education than the third. The administration has changed quite a bit. All of my children were in the top 10% of their class. The last two didn't feel they were prepared for college and they took a solid college preparation coursework. They didn't feel that the English classes prepared them for the college writing that they needed to do. Computers, and math were another weakness. Parental involvement is not welcome or appreciated by the current principal. I don't have a lot of confidence in the current superintendant either. I hope websites like this will wake these people up. Unfortunately, they just seem to make excuses. I agree the teaching staff, for the most part is excellent, but does the administration appeciate it? It doesn't seem like it.

Posted May 5, 2004

I have lived in the Lakeview School District for 30 years. All four of our children are Lakeview grads and college grads. Now our grandchildren are attending the schools. They have all been provided with great learning opportunities. The district has a history of hiring highly qualified teachers and administrators. My wife and I, and our children have high regard for the schools and their employees. Our family's children have done well by the Lakeview Schools.

Posted April 22, 2004

I think that every school has there problems and things that they have towork with but they do what they can with what they have. Lakeview is a excellent school with excellent staffing that truly cares about their students and there well being.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted April 19, 2004

Lakeview Schools have a long way to go to achieve a quality system. The biggest problems have to do with curriculum choices. Standards are not set high enough. Classes are not challenging. This is prevalent throughout the K-12 system. The Core Plus math program does not prepare the students for college math. Remedial work has to be done in college. The english curriculum does not emphasis writing skills enough. Again something college goers need to learn. Students having to pass an English Mastery test with 100% is ridiculous. This is their answer to higher standards, but the curriculum does not support it. Maybe if they taught the mastery content throughout the K-12 curriculum, it wouldn't be so bad. Juniors don't even know what a verb is. Overall, I am very disappointed in the education my children (2) have gotten and are getting. No administrator seems receptive to listening to parent concerns.

Posted February 16, 2004

The main problem with Lakeview is its lack of involvement with students. It seems like a machine that churns out drones rather than real thinkers. It's sometimes ridiculous that the best answer supplied to students with actual questions is the primitive 'Because.' Students are not required to try their best, and are not rewarded for doing their best. In fact, students are almost penalized when they think outside the box. Students who do not bend their lateral thinking will fail, so they realize all original thought must be quashed in order to survive. The standards are set low, also. Only stating you need 2 Math and 2 Science to graduate, when most colleges would generally make you take remedial classes if the student only graduated with two.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 26% in 2014.

321 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 29% in 2014.

313 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 59% in 2014.

314 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 28% in 2014.

312 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 44% in 2014.

314 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2014.

315 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2013-2014 Michigan used the Michigan Merit Examination (MME) to assess students in grade 11 in reading, writing, math, science and social studies. The MME is a standards-based test, which measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Michigan. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Beginning in the 2011-2012 school year, the Michigan State Board of Education implemented new definitions of what it means to be proficient on the MME test. In addition, they have recalculated past years' results using these new standards for proficiency, making the above year-over-year results comparable.

Math

Economically disadvantaged26%
Students with disabilities13%
Students without disabilities45%

Source: Michigan Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
College readiness rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

College readiness rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

ACT participation

Average ACT score

Graduation rate

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 MEAP results from the state of Michigan.

2 This rating is based on composite ACT scores from 2012-13 and four-year adjusted graduation rates from 2011-12. ACT participation represents the percentage of 11th graders taking the ACT. Because the ACT is mandated in Michigan high schools, ACT participation is NOT included in the GreatSchools rating.

African-American 9% 18%

Source: MI Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

• Mr. Christopher Doyle
Fax number
  • (269) 565-3708

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Special education