Battle Creek, MI

Posted August 29, 2013
Westlake is a wonderful school with an amazing staff. They continue to go above and beyond to meet the needs of every child and their communication with families is top notch. Westlake also has a very active and PTA who continue to find innovative ways to support the school. This school creates a positive and caring atmosphere for not only the children but the parents as well. They continually strive to work with the parents to ensure the success of each and every child in their care. Westlake is under the direction of principal Carol Disler. There are no words to describe how wonderful she is. She truly loves the children and will bend over backwards to help them. She cares about her staff and supports them to the fullest which fosters a very enthusiastic and positive group of teachers. The school is like a family and I feel very blessed to have my children in their care.

Posted January 27, 2009

Westlake Elementary School 4

Posted July 09, 2007
Westlake is a nice school for a small city where many parents are involved and care. Mrs Edwards is the ideal K teacher. A good school.

Posted October 18, 2005
My family came from a school district that was very imited in all resources. We moved to the Lakeview School District because of the level of commitment of staff in all the schools. We have been delighted with Westlake. The academic programs are preparing my kids for future grades and more. My son has loves his teachers and so have my husband and myself. My daughter also had a very successful 5th grade at Westlake 2004-2005. Teachers are professional, happy, smart, and relate well to students. Jeni Harris, Principal, is wonderful at running the school. The kids love her but they know she expects them to follow the rules. This school has kept extras that many schools have cut. The parent involvement blew me away our first year! I am very pleased with the caring teachers and parents. I know my kids are safe and happy at Westlake.

Posted July 31, 2005

Westlake Elementary School 4

Posted February 23, 2004
I read the review of the math frustrated parent and while I understand her frustration I do disagree with her opinion. Westlake is one of the most wonderful schools I have ever seen. The principal is a very caring woman, who stands outside to greet and say goodbye to the kids. The teachers are top notch with a caring attitude and willingness to help. My daughter has had trouble with the new math so I went to the teacher and got some instructions on what they wanted. The new math is trying to teach a way of reasoning to get the answer, instead of only memorizing. I wonder how someone whose children don't even go to Westlake can know what she is talking about. I work three 12 hour shifts and spend Tuesday morning in my sons kindergarten class and Wednesday afternoon in my daughters 3rd grade class. The teachers are definitely much too busy to be baby sitters. I love Westlake and am very happy that there is such a wonderful place for my children to go to school. I'm a Dad who is more than satisfied with the quality Westlake provides in teaching. As a matter of fact all of the staff from the lunch ladies to the custodians to the teachers are Great!

Westlake Elementary School 1

Posted September 09, 2003
I don t know what to say they are teaching some type of new math and English and the teachers send tons of homework home, and this is just their kindergarten. The first and second grade are the same way, how am I supposed to help the child when I don t understand what these teachers are thinking, I believe that the new system is set up to make the teacher an overpaid babysitter, with a degree. When I do try to help I end up confusing the child, and its because I am trying to teach him the way I was taught, and he just doesn't get it. It is my opinion that he be sent back to kindergarten and that I attend the classes with him so that I may be able to help him actually learn instead of trying to re-teach him how to do his work the way I learned it. One message for the teachers of this school teaching the children make sure they absorb it and teach the adults in their life. I didn t start to be book smarter than my parents until high school, and I don t mean to imply that the boy is smarter than I but I don t understand how they come to their answers, I understand the question, it is just the equation that the teachers use. All I know is that I am glad that my children do not attend this school.

Westlake Elementary School
1184 South 24th Street, Battle Creek, MI  49015
Last modified Westlake Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-4. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Westlake Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 7 reviews. Top