Battle Creek Central High School

Public | 9-12 & ungraded | 1173 students

Posted Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Battle Creek Central is one of the worst schools I have ever laid eyes on. The staff are completely un-involved in the students academic progress, they offer no help to students, the violence in this school is so high that gangs are formed. It is a terrible learning and pubescent playground of adults who do not care, parents who add to the equation and pupils who turn against each other. An unhealthy, un-beneficial, and cannibalistic school where humans turn against each other. I recommend that no one should attend this school. Ever.

Posted November 3, 2012

I attended Central from 2007 to 2009 -- obviously, I dropped out. My experience here was terrible. The vast majority of the teachers will not give you any extra help (and usually belittle you for "not paying enough attention in class" regardless of how hard you try) It's almost impossible to fully focus on lessons when other students are constantly disruptive and disrespectful. None of the administration is willing to help and will talk over you when you're trying to explain your issues. Even my community counselor supported my decision to drop out because the curriculum was designed for the "average student," which doesn't exist. He said I'd be better off getting a GED! Your child(ren) will be treated like a number here. Want an example? My community principal begged me to go to a class I'd been skipping just so they could get their $4,000 for every enrolled student and ADMITTED that was the reason why. No wonder the students don't even care about their education -- they can plainly see that no one else does! If I were a parent and still lived in Battle Creek, I would homeschool my child before sending them here. We didn't call it Battle Creek Central Penitentiary for no reason!

Posted March 5, 2011

When I came to this school my freshman year,I was so scared. I heard all about this school and was not looking forward to all the B.S. I was gonna have to put up with.At first,school was okay,but it has gotten so much worse over the years of me going there.I hate it so much.Kids are disrespectful and ruin everything for the kids who actually want to learn. The school is dirty and smelly! And,the teachers don't care about us students at all!! All we are is a number to the staff. I can't wait to graduate next school year...I don't want to be here anymore. This school seriously depresses me :(

Posted January 22, 2011

Horrible school. Horrible teachers, horrible students, horrible academics, just plain horrible!!! The majority of the students are rude and disrespectful, most of the teachers just don't seem to care, and there's nothing that ever gets done about it! They've spent so much time and money trying to build this new high school, but the problems they had before are worse then ever! And not to mention the fact that the new building is already looks horrible due to the extreme disrespect of the students, and it's not even finished yet! Plus, the district spends too much money on the most ridiculous things! Huge flat screen tv's all over the cafeteria that don't even get used, but the students don't have enough of the supplies (paper, pencils, calculators, books, etc.) that they need in class! It's no wonder that so many students are opting out for other schools once they reach the high school level! Ever wonder while BCC's enrollment keeps going down even though St. Philip's, Lakeview's, Pennfield's, and Harper Creek's keep going up? GET IT TOGETHER BCPS!!!!!

Posted May 26, 2010

New High School, and Superintendent! WoW! like that's gonna fix it. :( Now all the district needs to do is clean house downtown and K-12... then get the students that skip school, in fights all the time, and some of the teachers that don't need to be there, OUT!!!! And for the students that want to learn can. BCPS stop catering to the parents and make them accountable for there kids, you are so worried about them leaving the district, the good students are already gone, Take a look at the staff and where there childern attend school. NOT BCPS!!!! Because the focus isn't on education!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 25, 2010

BCPS is a BIG JOKE! Nofs was crazy and not there for the kids, Jones Ad, is just plan old and evil, it's time to just go. Stop holding up progress for the future! And the district lets this go on, The only thing I have to say is Good Luck to the New Superintendent! You need to CLEAN HOUSE. K-12 Visit each and every school for about a week sitting in class rooms, some teachers can't even teach, do to bad behavior. And don't let them know your coming Just show up! My prayers are with you!

Posted November 11, 2009

I am a former BCC student who graduated in 2006 and I have to say that I genuinely appreciate all of the knowledge and guidance I received from this school. I am currently a senior at Western Michigan University with a 4.0 GPA. I think that BCC played a big part in helping me achieve this and no matter what anyone says about the school, I wouldn't trade the experiences I had there for anything. I strongly believe that school will be what you make of it. I can't believe that anyone who really tried could say that the teachers there don't care because I have experienced first hand how many, many of the teachers care about education and helping the students in any way possible. I will send my (future) children to this school because that is how much I value the education I received there. Go Bearcats!

Posted April 24, 2009

Oh my were should I start, The pressure our teens have these days are greater then ever, yet our teachers may be book smart.(maybe key word). But they lack the knowledge on how to deal with a student(our kids) that may not be the perfect student. They show little or no respect to these kids and think the only way to handle a situation is to put the child out of class which eventually leads to suspion. Which effects the childs education. I understand bad behavior effects those trying and willing to learn. But lets face it we all have different personalities and not every child is going to be the same. If our teachers would show are these students some respect and learn how to communicate with kids that may come from a different background. I think they really need some additional training.

Posted May 18, 2006

I attended Battle creek central and recently moved to grand rapids, i loved going to BCC. The teachers werent the most helpful but most students dont try so its only predictable for the teachers to give up on them. BCC had a sense of unity, and most people who go there belong. I wouldnt trade my experience at BCC for the world, it was the best school i have ever attended!

Posted February 15, 2006

I graduated from BCC in 2004 and I loved it. I wouldn't have gone to another highschool in Battle Creek. And the teachers are wonderful also, are you kidding me... after reading these reviews and seeing parents put that the teachers did not help their children. Are you sure that your child was doing all they could to get help? Probably not! I do believe there are something that the teachers could have done to prepare me better...But, I am please with my diverse education and wouldn't change it for the world. I am now a sophomore in college at Central Michigan University where I hold a 3.12 GPA...why you ask? Because I have a solid base of academics thanks to Battle Creek Central! -NHS member& Womens Swim Team Captain

Posted January 13, 2006

I was a student from BCC and I graduated in 2005. Central was a great school to go to but some of the children that go there give the school a bad reputation. The teachers there are wonderful and do there best everyday to educate the young minds that are there today. The policies and rules that Central have are respectable. Face it nobaody wants to see your jelly rolls hanging out of your belly shirt. Also, the closed lunch policy is because the students can't get to class on time.

Posted August 14, 2005

Battle Creek Central High School is a great place to learn. If the child is willing, the school is willing, alot of kids today are very defiant in school which makes it harder for the teacher and the other children in the classroom. Another thing I have noticed is that the parent believes that the child does no wrong and by opposing school rules they get mad when they are repremanded for breaking a rule that a parent doesnt agree with. These rules are made for a reason and when they are broken, the person is accountable which many parents dont like! I have children in this school and have attended this school...It is what the child allows it to be.

Posted May 23, 2005

When I attended Battle Creek Central, it was at its prime; top academics, the finest choir and band ensembles, Class A football, basketball, swimming, wrestling, and track champions. Most of it was our pride in being Bearcats. We knew we lived in a great town ('The Best in the Land'), and we did our best to make it that way. Whether you were black, white, or hispanic, BCCHS was a great place to be. Our teachers had spirit and wanted to teach us (sometimes, we probably should have been more attentive!). The experiences I had at BCCHS, and in the Battle Creek Schools, in general, helped me become a successful person. Today, I live in a town similar to Battle Creek. My own daughter and son are seeking similar success in school. Yeah, it's not easy, but it's what I made of it, and what they will, too. Good Luck.

Posted May 19, 2005

I have two in this school and I think its the worst school I have been to. I have two great students getting good grades, but when one on them needed help the teachers were not willing to help. I have tried several times to get there emails to try to stay in contact with them and they don't get back to you. I have yet to see a caring teacher stop and help a child understand. I have also had trouble with the teachers losing papers and then blaming it on the student.

Posted October 12, 2004

I was a student at this high school for 3 years. The school is ok, but watchthe corces your students take. I've had to retake courses in college because the high school didn't teach the correct subject(s.

Posted August 26, 2004

This school is historically diverse, which in my opinion is fundamentally essential in preparing a child for interaction with other cultures and races in the real (Adult) world. There are things they could improve upon if funding were available such as converting the courtyard between the McQuiston Learning Center and the Music building into a commons area for outdoor dining possibilities.

Posted May 13, 2004

I'm not very happy with this school. Teachers don't put in much effort to help the children. Good students are punished for the obnoxious students doings. No open campus lunch, but yet they can walk to a field house down the street. They even tryed to ban students from wearing hoodies. It's very ridiculous.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 26% in 2014.

310 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 29% in 2014.

242 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 59% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 28% in 2014.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 44% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2014.

244 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2013-2014 Michigan used the Michigan Merit Examination (MME) to assess students in grade 11 in reading, writing, math, science and social studies. The MME is a standards-based test, which measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Michigan. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Beginning in the 2011-2012 school year, the Michigan State Board of Education implemented new definitions of what it means to be proficient on the MME test. In addition, they have recalculated past years' results using these new standards for proficiency, making the above year-over-year results comparable.

Math

Economically disadvantaged13%
Students with disabilities4%
Students without disabilities24%

Source: Michigan Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Below average

Test score rating
College readiness rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

College readiness rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

ACT participation

Average ACT score

Graduation rate

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 MEAP results from the state of Michigan.

2 This rating is based on composite ACT scores from 2012-13 and four-year adjusted graduation rates from 2011-12. ACT participation represents the percentage of 11th graders taking the ACT. Because the ACT is mandated in Michigan high schools, ACT participation is NOT included in the GreatSchools rating.

African-American 41% 18%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 66%N/A48%
Source: MI Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

College readiness and student pathways

Students typically attend these schools prior to attending this school WK Kellogg Middle School
Springfield Middle School
Northwestern Middle School
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Media arts
  • Video / Film production

School culture

Dress Code
  • Neither uniforms nor dress code

Apply now

What are your chances?

Students typically come from these schools
WK Kellogg Middle School