Bad
Good

Rogers is a wonderful school with a caring & compassionate staff. We are so lucky to have this school in our neighborhood. I have one child that still attends Rogers and another that did a few years ago. Over the course of time more and more positive things have been developed and are happening at Rogers. The community garden is really a neat addition. Students thrive at Rogers!

Rogers Elementary does not offer any extra curricular activities besides music to 5th graders. My child is like a sponge at this age and for there not to be a language, sports, academic club or anything other than a snack shack is disappointing. The latch key is very expensive Bloomfield Hills charge $7.00 a day for PM care, Oak Park is 9.00, Kidz Zone is $23.00 a day. And still they are not doing anything special to enrich the children who attend. My son was in the 2nd grade last year and they barely made it through addition and subtraction. The administration does not support parents who work and are trying to survive the work life balance.

This school only had good scores because any child who isn't the "ideal perfect angle" is forced out. If your child needs a little more guidance the teachers and principle are SUPER quick to label them as "special" or trouble makers. If your child IS in fact special needs, they ship them off to a different school. Hey anything to keep the numbers up! My children have each attended Rogers for one year separate times and both times it has been anything but pleasant or smooth. There doesn't seem to be much focus on exercise but lots on buying junk food and fund raising. One morning the kindergarten teacher complained to me that all her male students are chatter boxes and have excessive energy. If you happen to be a working parent without lots of time to volunteer they talk to you with their noses up in the air. So if you have all the time to hang out at the school and chat it up with all the other non-employed parents" your golden. I however am VERY disappointed with the Administration at Roger's elementary and my children will not be attending.

This school is good. Not great. The principal is young and has some rough edges. Especially her use of the word "expecially". Not really a good role model when she doesn't know basic vocabulary. The curriculum is easy. There are no foreign language opportunities. Many of the younger students are afraid of the music teacher and admit to faking sick on days they have her class. There are opportunities if your child has learning disabilities, but there is nothing to stimulate gifted children. A problem for those of us who have them. Basically I homeschool my kids and send them to Rogers for social development. The school is more concerned with raising money then teaching kids healthy habits, as evidenced by offering pizza two or three days a week then peddling it directly outside the school doors on wednesdays along with an assortment of other junk food. There are always kids crying when their parent responsibly says "you can't eat pizza every day". It's a big scene blocking access to the school and even cutting the librarian off from his library. The school is ok, good even, but we're looking to move. I do believe it's the best the district has to offer.

There have been some positive changes with literacy instruction which is more in line with current best practices in education. My 4th grader has been challenged and is excelling in most areas. However, have not seen a whole lot of writing pieces at conferences or otherwise?? My 2nd grader is doing fine too, but again would like to see the actual writing pieces. I have no idea if writing units are being taught ??? I am pleased with the implementation of Reading Workshop, but think phonics based instruction should be added during workshop in the lower grades. Very happy that common core standards have been adopted. I think this will step up everyone's game including teachers, students, and parents!

I have been extremely pleased with the quality of education my daughter is receiving at Rogers. We have found the curriculum both rigorous and engaging. Our daughter is an advanced learner and we have found that the curriculum and teachers encourage her to expand her learning beyond what is simply benchmark for her grade. Most of all, we have found her teachers to be innovative, thoughtful and compassionate. The teachers she has had have sparked a love of learning that we know will follow her throughout her life. We could not have asked for a better school to lay the foundation for her learning!

As a parent over the years, I have been less than confident regarding the quality of education my child is receiving at Rogers. I agree with many of the comments regarding low academic expectations and lack of current best practices being implemented in the classroom. All things start at the top, and so the Principal should give specific attention to teacher effectiveness and how it relates to student achievement. I think this piece is being neglected. On a positive note, my child does enjoy coming to school and the Rogers community is overall friendly.

I would like to see students held to higher academic standards in literacy and math. Expectations overall seem low. Also, I believe teachers need to implement more effective teaching strategies which includes "best practices" in education. Research shows that teacher effectiveness is the number one factor in student learning and success. I do not feel that my children are being adequately challenged at this school. The new principal appears nice, but not sure she can lead in a way that gets results. So far not impressed.

My children attend Rogers and the social experience there has been positive, but Rogers has little to offer in terms of exciting learning opportunities. A majority of the teachers have taught 20 plus years and are inexperienced with current practices for teaching literacy, etc., or they are just not that interested in making a change to promote higher learning and student achievement. I definitely think the Principal needs to be more involved in keeping teachers accountable for learning outcomes, as opposed to putting all the responsibility on the kids' performance. Food for thought Rogers!

Your life comes full circle as grandparents.It is extremely important that children want to learn and develop in a school setting. Rogers is more than a school it is a journey of utmost importance in the life of every student. We have seen such a beautiful growth in our grandchildren in all aspects of their education. To listen to your grandchildren read to you was an experience that will be cherished forever! Rogers has the most caring, happy and supportive teachers and principal. You know they have a great school when your grandchildren love to go to school. I taught school a long time ago. The lasting effect you have on a student will live with them for a lifetime. Rogers deserves to be the best school in the United States becasue they realize that learning is far more the the basics of'reading, writing and aritmetic.' It is about giving the children all of the skills in life that will mold them into productive and wonderful citizens of the world. The involvement of parents is also an important facet of this school. The enthusiasm of the children, teachers and parents is heartwarming. This school should be a model of what an education is meant to be.

Last modified Rogers Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.