Pattengill School

Public | K-5 | 348 students

Sweep tile

Posted January 26, 2014

Pattengill does a very poor job of offering individualized support for children with special needs. Instead of working together with the parents to offer positive alternatives to the typical classroom environment they utilize a "one size fits all" approach. The resources are very limited and the principal offered us a very abrupt "we don't do that here", when we proposed some of the services our child had in their current IEP. It became very apparent they are lacking in funding for special needs. In addition some teachers are very young, uninformed on special needs and overwhelmed with the large class sizes. If your child has any type of special needs I would extensively research other schools outside of the Berkley school district.

Posted December 13, 2013

This is my 4th year as a parent at Pattengill. All of the teachers are amazing. They are kind, caring, thorough, and strive to make sure every student is above their grade level standard. They are teaching students how to be successful academically and in the real world. They do a good job teaching and expecting respect, courtesy, responsibility, and integrity. They help them with confidence, composure, and out of the box thinking. The kids get a well rounded academic and social education. I believe it is not their place to teach indepth cultural differences. Some of the things parents think a school should teach should be taught at home. As a matter of fact, some parents forget how much responsibility they have to teach their kids things from academics to how to treat others and behave properly, and teach differences around the globe. From what I see all the kids are given the same opportunity. Budget has a lot to do with what a school can do, and it must be made up from donation of time and money from parents. As for the lunch program. it's not that bad as some posted and there is always the packed lunch option! Pattengill is a great school and I am happy my kids attend.

Posted December 13, 2013

The principal is a narcissist, she believes in a one size fits all education approach. The bright children are bored and the special needs children are ignored. If you have another option, stay clear of Pattengill.

Posted November 21, 2013

I would give Pattengill a negative score if that were available. I agree 100% with the comments regarding Mrs. Robbins. The teachers are not capable or caring. If you have a child with special needs, stay clear!

Posted June 13, 2013

We chose this school as a school of choice in 2009 and now have both children enrolled there. I have nothing but great things to say about Pattengill. In regards to tightening budgets all schools are going through tough times. One of the reasons I love it here is the high level of parental involvement. The PTA works hard to make sure needed items are addressed and raises funds to help support needed improvements. The studies for the children are top notch and supported by some of the best teachers. As for diversity I believe there is an excellent mix of religions and ethnicities. All are not equally represented but they are equally respected. In the 5 years there I have never been denied coming in to help or volunteer at the school. I've enjoyed many hours volunteering with the wonderful staff and students. At the very beginning of the school year teachers may ask that parents wait 2 weeks before volunteering in the classroom but that is because they are establishing the student teacher relationship and routine. Principal Robbins is excellent. She is involved and knows all students and families and expects consistency. They have a no tolerance policy for bullying and enforce it.

Posted May 26, 2013

The biggest problem with this school is the Arrogance and insensitivity of the school principal (Robbins). Her office is very nice and air conditioned while our children are stuck in 80 degres temperatures. The food served in the gym is the kind you serve to animals not kids. She refuses to create an anti-Bullying system because she has everything under control. This lady is so self absorbed that its a joke. If you complain to the Berkley superintendent he just closes his eyes and send you back to this power munger. Its her way or the Highway. The school is old and falling apart. The ceiling leaks water, the school should be torn down and rebuilt. The best months we had in this school was when this principal went on Maternity leave, her replacement was a very sensitive sincere lady. Anyone out their that wants to defend this principal should really stop sucking up to this lady and for once think about your kids.

Posted March 31, 2013

In response to the March 17th post, yes I am aware of a bond proposal to improve facilities that was voted down. However, Pattengill could use some fresh paint, new carpet, and landscaping to make it a more pleasant and appealing environment for the students and community. Regarding the principal, glad your experience has been positive. I still cannot express the same sentiments. Arrogance and insensitivity are NOT admirable qualities in a school leader.

Posted March 18, 2013

In response to the March 17, 2013 review, repairs and updates (building and technology) to Berkley schools were voted down a couple of years ago. This is something that is NOT handled by each building in the district individually. I'm sure you're aware of the current budget/funding issues that are affecting our schools. As far as the Principal, she is definitely a "micro-manager" but, she is fair, knows EVERY student and family and strives for success and safety in the Pattengill community. There are "issues" in every school. I find that here [Pattengill], they are outweighed by by the impressive staff, building safety and education given to the children in this district!

Posted February 4, 2013

This is my son's 2nd year at Pattengill and I believe that the teachers do a really good job with the children. My concern is that there is not my openness to diversity with in the school or by the principal. I have had conversations with Mrs. Robbins and she always comes off very belittling and condescending, not easy to talk to at all. She even has made a few statements that I felt were very wrong. Maybe she is a very nice nice person but my experiences with her have been very different.

Posted January 27, 2013

I enrolled my child due to being pleased with the wonderful school rating as well as some of the parent reviews. How every I quickly learned the Principal is in fact very hands on but in a manner in which she attempts to create a cookie cutter environment. If your child is not cookie cutter and just like all the other children the diversity will not be welcomed. In fact there is no diversity. Parents are not welcomed to do observations to ensure their children are at ease in the new environment. Needless to say I opted to enroll my child at another school which promoted diversity. We live in a world in which diversity is the key to greater opportunity for all. The lack there of will enable closed minds and give students a false sense of what the real world and workforce is actually like. The test scores may say great school but the social interaction and lack of diversity may have a negative impact on a child who does not fit the cookie cutter mold. It appeared some of the teachers in fact may be great teachers but were micro-managed by the Principal.

Posted October 5, 2011

I did all the research on all the Great Schools "high rated" schools and weighed all my options as I considered applying for Pattengill. I made my tough decision and wanted to entrust my child to Pattengill. To my surprise the staff was very unwelcoming and rude not only to me, but even to some of their own students. I was appalled by what I observed. Needless to say, I changed my mind on this "Great School" and enrolled my child into a school that fostered and nurtured a healthy, culturally/racially respectful environment. High test scores are great to have on paper, but they are not everything! It was an invaluable visit. Thank you for showing your true colors and saving my child from being traumatically offended.

Posted October 12, 2010

My granddaughter attends Pattengill Elementary School and she loves it and I love it also. The teachers are very good with the students. The principal, Ms. Robbins, knows each student by face and interacts with the students on a regular basis. It is just a great school.

Posted May 17, 2010

Pattengill is an excellent school that teaches children to respect each other and that every child is the same, no matter what color they are, no matter what gender they are and no matter what social back ground they come from. The sense of security and excellent team of teachers make this school one to be recognized. I stand proud to have my children at this school. This school has produced wonderful children that are ready for middle school. Thank you Pattengill!

Posted May 10, 2010

Absolutely love this school. Left another district because of the students and behavior issues. Have found a safe school with an excellent curriculum and teachers!!

Posted April 21, 2010

I'm not sure why that parent thinks this school is violent. Do they go into the classroom ever? It completely confuses me, because we find the school to be extremely wholesome and nurturing. We just moved there this year (Schools of Choice). My kid is blissful as a kid should be. He is soaring.

Posted March 30, 2010

This school is not all its cracked up tobe. The building is very old and has lead in its construction. The school has issues with violence. The Administration is very relaxed when it comes to school when it comes to violence. The teachers are outstanding and provide excellent education. However a false sense of security is very real in this school. The schools answere to there problems is getting more funding to improve the school. Safety and security of children is second when it comes to their budget and trying yo dispalay a false picture about the school. We are looking into moving our child into another school. Detroit, Berkley whats the difference. Detroit is more noticable.

Posted March 25, 2010

This is a wonderful and school. I am very impressed with the teachers and the adminstration. The principal and teachers are amazing at the school. This school is a hidden gem!

Posted September 17, 2009

Their before and after school program ( Kids' Zone ) is the greatest program. The teachers there are the best. I know my children are safe there!!

Posted February 6, 2009

We are a schools of choice family that has had two children attend Pattengill for the past year and a half. I cannot say enough good things about the entire staff. From the principal, to the teachers, to the parents to the latchkey staff, all are sincerely interested and engaged in my children's well being and education

Posted October 2, 2008

My son has attended Pattengill elementary since kindergarten and is now a 2nd grader. I must say that I am pleased with the community feel and the parental involvement. It's nice to know that while I can't be a stay at home mom whose totally infused with the schools daily ongoings, there are so many other parents who step up and involve themselves giving me a sense that my child is in good hands. The school receives excellent support from the surrounding community and offers some of the latest technology. I think that the annual math pentathalon is an excellent academic competion and I look forward to seeing other school events in the future. The only negative aspect of the school is that it lacks diversity in its student population and also in its curriculum as it pertains to learning about the history of our country and society.

Math

The state average for Math was 40% in 2014.

42 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

42 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2014.

54 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2014.

53 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2014.

53 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2014.

59 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2014.

59 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 17% in 2014.

62 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Source: Michigan Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Above average

Reading growth at this school

Above average

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 MEAP results from the state of Michigan.

2 This rating is based on 2012-13 net growth (significant improvement/improvement - significant decrease/decrease) according to Performance Level Changes from the state of Michigan.

African-American 22% 18%

• Ms. Daryl Robbins
Fax number
  • (248) 435-0184

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

Apply now