Posted December 13, 2013
This is my 4th year as a parent at Pattengill. All of the teachers are amazing. They are kind, caring, thorough, and strive to make sure every student is above their grade level standard. They are teaching students how to be successful academically and in the real world. They do a good job teaching and expecting respect, courtesy, responsibility, and integrity. They help them with confidence, composure, and out of the box thinking. The kids get a well rounded academic and social education. I believe it is not their place to teach indepth cultural differences. Some of the things parents think a school should teach should be taught at home. As a matter of fact, some parents forget how much responsibility they have to teach their kids things from academics to how to treat others and behave properly, and teach differences around the globe. From what I see all the kids are given the same opportunity. Budget has a lot to do with what a school can do, and it must be made up from donation of time and money from parents. As for the lunch program. it's not that bad as some posted and there is always the packed lunch option! Pattengill is a great school and I am happy my kids attend.

Posted December 13, 2013
The principal is a narcissist, she believes in a one size fits all education approach. The bright children are bored and the special needs children are ignored. If you have another option, stay clear of Pattengill.

Posted November 21, 2013
I would give Pattengill a negative score if that were available. I agree 100% with the comments regarding Mrs. Robbins. The teachers are not capable or caring. If you have a child with special needs, stay clear!

Posted June 13, 2013
We chose this school as a school of choice in 2009 and now have both children enrolled there. I have nothing but great things to say about Pattengill. In regards to tightening budgets all schools are going through tough times. One of the reasons I love it here is the high level of parental involvement. The PTA works hard to make sure needed items are addressed and raises funds to help support needed improvements. The studies for the children are top notch and supported by some of the best teachers. As for diversity I believe there is an excellent mix of religions and ethnicities. All are not equally represented but they are equally respected. In the 5 years there I have never been denied coming in to help or volunteer at the school. I've enjoyed many hours volunteering with the wonderful staff and students. At the very beginning of the school year teachers may ask that parents wait 2 weeks before volunteering in the classroom but that is because they are establishing the student teacher relationship and routine. Principal Robbins is excellent. She is involved and knows all students and families and expects consistency. They have a no tolerance policy for bullying and enforce it.

Posted May 26, 2013
The biggest problem with this school is the Arrogance and insensitivity of the school principal (Robbins). Her office is very nice and air conditioned while our children are stuck in 80 degres temperatures. The food served in the gym is the kind you serve to animals not kids. She refuses to create an anti-Bullying system because she has everything under control. This lady is so self absorbed that its a joke. If you complain to the Berkley superintendent he just closes his eyes and send you back to this power munger. Its her way or the Highway. The school is old and falling apart. The ceiling leaks water, the school should be torn down and rebuilt. The best months we had in this school was when this principal went on Maternity leave, her replacement was a very sensitive sincere lady. Anyone out their that wants to defend this principal should really stop sucking up to this lady and for once think about your kids.

Pattengill School 2

Posted March 31, 2013
In response to the March 17th post, yes I am aware of a bond proposal to improve facilities that was voted down. However, Pattengill could use some fresh paint, new carpet, and landscaping to make it a more pleasant and appealing environment for the students and community. Regarding the principal, glad your experience has been positive. I still cannot express the same sentiments. Arrogance and insensitivity are NOT admirable qualities in a school leader.

Posted March 18, 2013
In response to the March 17, 2013 review, repairs and updates (building and technology) to Berkley schools were voted down a couple of years ago. This is something that is NOT handled by each building in the district individually. I'm sure you're aware of the current budget/funding issues that are affecting our schools. As far as the Principal, she is definitely a "micro-manager" but, she is fair, knows EVERY student and family and strives for success and safety in the Pattengill community. There are "issues" in every school. I find that here [Pattengill], they are outweighed by by the impressive staff, building safety and education given to the children in this district!

Pattengill School 4

Posted February 04, 2013
This is my son's 2nd year at Pattengill and I believe that the teachers do a really good job with the children. My concern is that there is not my openness to diversity with in the school or by the principal. I have had conversations with Mrs. Robbins and she always comes off very belittling and condescending, not easy to talk to at all. She even has made a few statements that I felt were very wrong. Maybe she is a very nice nice person but my experiences with her have been very different.

Posted January 27, 2013
I enrolled my child due to being pleased with the wonderful school rating as well as some of the parent reviews. How every I quickly learned the Principal is in fact very hands on but in a manner in which she attempts to create a cookie cutter environment. If your child is not cookie cutter and just like all the other children the diversity will not be welcomed. In fact there is no diversity. Parents are not welcomed to do observations to ensure their children are at ease in the new environment. Needless to say I opted to enroll my child at another school which promoted diversity. We live in a world in which diversity is the key to greater opportunity for all. The lack there of will enable closed minds and give students a false sense of what the real world and workforce is actually like. The test scores may say great school but the social interaction and lack of diversity may have a negative impact on a child who does not fit the cookie cutter mold. It appeared some of the teachers in fact may be great teachers but were micro-managed by the Principal.

Posted October 05, 2011
I did all the research on all the Great Schools "high rated" schools and weighed all my options as I considered applying for Pattengill. I made my tough decision and wanted to entrust my child to Pattengill. To my surprise the staff was very unwelcoming and rude not only to me, but even to some of their own students. I was appalled by what I observed. Needless to say, I changed my mind on this "Great School" and enrolled my child into a school that fostered and nurtured a healthy, culturally/racially respectful environment. High test scores are great to have on paper, but they are not everything! It was an invaluable visit. Thank you for showing your true colors and saving my child from being traumatically offended.

Pattengill School
3540 Morrison Avenue, Berkley, MI  48072
Last modified Pattengill School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Pattengill School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 23 reviews. Top