Beverly Hills, MI

Posted October 23, 2013
Detroit Country Day offers a wide variety of courses which I am very happy with. They keep their students busy with their intense and extremely rigorous courses along with the requirement of participating in two competitive and time consuming sports per year. All of this provides a worthy challenge for the students who strive to get into tough colleges such as Stanford or Harvard.

Posted April 17, 2013
Country Day is one of the most academically rigorous schools out there. If there's one thing I've learned in my 7 years at this school (enrolled in 4th grade), it's time management skills - between early morning orchestra rehearsals, a full day of honors classes, and sports practices in the afternoon that run until 5:30 or 6:00, Country Day is not the place for you if you're not willing to work hard. Despite common belief, it IS possible to have a 4.0 even if you're not brilliant, as long as you work hard and use all of the opportunities given - the teachers are for the most part more than willing to help in any way they can. The music and performing arts programs are incredible, and I'd highly recommend either. The social situation may be a bit cliquey, but everyone ends up finding their niche. The honors classes are marginally harder than the regular level, but the honors teachers really know what they're talking about and their classes are so much more interesting. All in all, I would definitely recommend DCDS to anyone wanting to work hard and see their work pay off. I've had some of the best years of my life at Country Day, and it's for sure 1 of the best schools in the state.

Posted September 23, 2012
Detroit Country Day School has a variety of programs and is very diverse, but the biggest problem is their true philosophy. They say that their philosophy is a sound mind in a sound body, but I'm a student there and I think their philosophy is to make a large crop of ineffectual average students. They will make everything easier for the student who really doesn't care about his/her studies, and everything harder for the student who is devoted to working hard for his/her success. When a female student wears her middle school skirt seven inches up her thigh, but is expected to wear it eight inches up her thigh, everyone is fine. However- when a female student wears her middle school skirt one inch above her knee (at the knee is the policy), but is expected to have it two inches below, everyone is ready to pounce on her. Similarly, if a student wants to test out of a math course, and is behind in maths, he/she can take the summer course and skip over it! However- if a student is trying to get ahead in math courses by skipping out, every teacher will line up in a row and tell you how you shouldn't do this and how they won't let you.

Posted May 29, 2012
The school is excellent, and although it is tough, it will definitely prepare students for college because obviously in college you have to work very hard and the school prepares students so well by teaching a lot and then giving a larger amount of responsibility. It is all about time management there so you are required to do sports, clubs, and community service. Even though it is a tough school day, they always manage to give you some spare time during the school day to wind down/exercise, catch up on school work, socialize, or get help on school work. Lunch has 2 periods so that at one you may eat and the other period you can use a free period to do as you chose. You can also chose to put in one study hall or free block into your day. There is always another time for a break during the day. The school always offers extra help for students and in many ways encourages that students should seek help in any area needed. The lunches are high quality and there are so many amenities including the wonderful school building, nurses office, trainers and there training room, the performing arts center, 3 gyms, a workout room, and a field house all just in the upper school!

Posted February 28, 2012
I have never enjoyed school as much as I did during my days at DCD. The teachers were great, and so were the students. In the years since moving, my mom has often complained about how no school will ever be as good. As an accelerated program, each class challenges the students in a way that no other school I have ever come across has been able to. Learning is a fun and continuous process in Country Day. If I had to rate it, I'd give it 10/10. Go Yellow Jackets!

Posted February 08, 2012
I go here and I LOVE IT! Everyone is nice including the teachers. I go to the middle school and it has given me opportunities that i would have never gotten at a public school.

Posted January 19, 2012
Well: The facilities/ building are amazing (they spend a good portion of our tutions upgrading the facility. If you want to meet some smart people come here. Basically they care a lot about the public image so they will "recruit" (buy) students to come here. This really heps if you want good company (smart people). Now which college this will take you to depends on how hard you work, It won't guarantee anything. If you work really hard though chances are you will go somewhere great. Teachers are really nice and good. If you're looking for a great GPA or advanced classes don't come here. It is much harder to get a 4.0 here than in a public school. In 7th grade I was placed in Geometry (9th grade math) even though I could go to Pre-Calculus (11th grade math) if I went to a public. Overall, it is a pretty great school but depends on how much you are willing to spend. Note: Somebody who works really hard can go to Harvard no matter what school they will go to.

Posted February 16, 2011
The school's academic program is wonderful, yet its transportation system is horrific. A door-to-door service you purchase does not guarantee your child will be on the bus until you beat the "2-minute-only wait" rule. As a parent and a consumer, all I saw is grade A bus service charge, grade D excuses, and grade E communication and actual service. Aside from the bus services, the school is a phenomenal.

Detroit Country Day Middle School 1

Posted December 22, 2010
i think that DCDS could be a good school if they cared more about the students more so then what the media has to say about the school,also in sports they wouldn't care if the child was failing to try and keep them off they care about how good that one specific person is and have them on teams like basketball and football to be "a 1 man team" where that student scores the most points in the whole game instead of the kids that deserve to be in the game and that have good grades i think they need to get it together before you pay for your child to attend this school

Detroit Country Day Middle School 3

Posted October 15, 2010
As a graduate of DCDS (3rd-12th grade) I have mixed feelings about the school. Like most school there are both incredible and abysmal teachers,& those in between. I think every student can find a teacher that they can connect with (at least in high school) I admit that they prepared me for college. I attended MSU school of education (the top in the country) and I found it very easy. I was never stressed about papers, tests/exams or presentations. I was surprised how many of my piers were so unprepared. Socially the school was awful. The girls were incredibly cruel (I am a female). Teachers picked the favorites at an early age and they were the stars the rest of our time there, giving them, along with students who had parents wave money around, a lot of leniency. It all depends on you & your child. However, outofthebox people don't fitin.

Detroit Country Day Middle School
22400 Hillview Ln, Beverly Hills, MI  48025
Last modified Detroit Country Day Middle School is a Private school that serves grades 6-8
Detroit Country Day Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 29 reviews. Top