Pierce Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 621 students

Posted August 22, 2013

Knowledgeable teachers, very open and friendly principal and involved parents. Very well situated in a green and safe environment.

Posted August 18, 2013

I had 3 of my children go to that school we recently moved , I have to say that they are racist , and whoever has more money has a say here . The principal does nothing . Some staff is very rude . And I don't find some teachers even teaching my kids came with homework of things they didn't teach them . They want us as parents to teach them at home that's ridiculous if you are a so called great school .

Posted July 24, 2013

Academically this school was great for my child. She is really prepared for middle school but I am happy she is finished with Pierce. The principal does NOTHING in regard to bullying situations. He picks and chooses whom he prefers to associate with. He is a clueless, cowardly man who forms his opinion on solely what he thinks. He was the one and only thing I despised at that school.

Posted July 9, 2013

Great school. I had two kids go through Pierce. They are both very different students and both were prepared for middle school. Focus is beginning to shift to be more thinking skills then just memorizing facts. Has a wonderful ESL program that gave my girls an opportunity to meet and become friends with other kids from around the world. Almost all the teachers are high quality. Leadership strong.

Posted June 10, 2013

We moved to Pierce from another state. Everyone told me how great the Birmingham schools were, but I'm quite unimpressed, at least at the elementary level, which is the level in which we have a student. We came from a very academically challenging school, and Pierce is laughably easy. My third-grader is being given work that she honestly did in the first semester of first grade. The test scores on schooldigger.com & the B'ham district website are very telling, too. (Greatschool's reports are delayed by a year.) Last year, when the MEAP changed to be nationally-normed rather than Michigan-normed, all B'ham schools saw their scores plummet, including Pierce. (Only Covington, the STEM school didn't.) Pierce is a safe, loving school, but my child isn't really learning anything new besides Spanish. We are looking to move to the west side of the Troy district where scores are higher than even at Covington and the student population more diverse. (The two are related, given the higher population of immigrant engineers in Troy.) B'ham might have cache, but I think the schools have a case of the Emperor's New Clothes.

Posted September 14, 2012

Great teachers! The parents are all helpful not demanding and crazy...I'm enjoying my expierence with the school and so is my child.

Posted February 9, 2012

My son is enjoying his second year at Pierce and I feel the principal and staff are amazing. There is a sense of community and academics that I have never seen before. The foodservice team, librarians, special education professionals, counselers and everyone at the school are always helpful, kind and responsive. Tons of parent involvement means the kids have great role models all around them, all the time from the staff and the great parents.

Posted September 13, 2011

The principal is arrogant and non-responsive, a careerist interested in social gatherings rather than academics.The assistant principal is a non-presence. Parents should note the rate at which top teachers are leaving.

Posted April 25, 2011

My daughter has been at Pierce for three years. In that time, I've been extremely happy at the quality of learning she has received. She has been challenged in areas where she excels--beyond her grade level. She feels at home in her school, and looks forward to going every day. That says a lot about the involvement by the faculty in making Pierce a safe, fun, and interesting place to learn. Personally, I enjoy volunteering as a way to meet other parents. One substitute teacher commented that she'd never been to a school with so much parent involvement!

Posted April 15, 2011

Our children attend Pierce and we cannot say enough about the Pierce community. The principal is great. The teachers are dedicated and caring. The families are very supportive of the school. One small example: Our daughter is reading the Harry Potter series. She finished one of the books and we didn't own the next one. The next morning, my child's teacher realized that my daughter had finished the book but couldn't get the next one from the school library as all the copies were checked out. The teacher, without being asked by my child or me, emailed other teachers in the building and found a copy of the book for my daughter that same day. My daughter was thrilled. The principal and the staff at Pierce always seem willing to go above and beyond for their students.

Posted April 14, 2011

Our first impression of Pierce was extremely favorable. During an open house, we were greeted by the principal who then remembered us by name three months later. He later took the time to meet with us one-on-one, answer questions and give us a personal tour of the school. And, now that we are a Pierce family, we love the school. The kids do, too. All the teachers have been exceptional. Any concerns we've had have been properly addressed and feedback is well-received. Even more impressive, parents are a valued partner. I would recommend this school to any parent.

Posted May 25, 2010

We just started in elementary schools and have been thrilled with our experience at Pierce. The leadership of the principal and assistant principal has been dynamic, friendly and forward-thinking. In the face of difficult financial times, the school continues to maintain the highest quality. Pierce has an "old time" traditional feel in the best sense while embracing change that makes sense and is research-backed. We are lucky that our children can thrive at Pierce.

Posted June 16, 2008

My daughter is new to Pierce this year and although she started mid-year, she has adjusted very well. The staff at Pierce is amazing and the parent-teacher involvement is exceptional. We could not be happier with our choice of school systems - which was are number one reason for the move. If you have a choice in elementary schools, Pierce is the one.

Posted May 21, 2008

Our daughter is in her 2nd week at Pierce, transferred from a highly regarded school in California. So far this school has been the best part of our move. Starting with the principal: we were in contact by email before we moved and he was helpful and welcoming. Gave us a personal tour. Knew how to talk to a child, allay her fears, get her excited. He observed a conversation between our child and some other girls who immediately welcomed her, saying 'come to our class, we have the best teacher in the school;the principal picked up on that- guess what class our daughter was placed in? The class is at the same point in the material as they were in CA. but so far she seems to be thriving in the more relaxed atmosphere. There are plenty of eyes to watch the campus for strangers.

Posted January 22, 2008

I agree that the teachers are great at Pierce but don't understand how they can say the principal is not. He is young, energetic and has made many improvements since he began in Sept. 2005. As far as security goes, I cannot imagine how it could be improved. Doors are all locked and the recess door even has a code for teachers. Visitors are asked to sign in and if they don't they are approached. The principal and assistant principal are seen out front every morning greeting students and every evening saying their goodbyes to assure the safety of our kids. Finally, I happen to have a child that might be classified as 'difficult' and I feel that this school has very supportive and my child is learning and has grown in so many ways. They are great with modifying lessons and adjusting behavior plans. I also suggest visiting... The assistant principal took me on a great tour and answered all my questions, I went with my gut.. Pierce and I couldn't be happier.

Posted May 5, 2006

Please check out the other 7 elementaries in this district before sending your child here. The teachers and parents are great, but you can only do so much vs. principal. The school sells anyone with the beautiful grounds, new playground, computers, etc., but the security is very poor-inside and out. Easy access to your children by strangers all day long. We have been here for 3 years and are switching. Overall, parents are very active...not your most diverse schools -mostly married, caucasian families. The school has some great programs, but not very flexible with students that do not automatically go with flow. If you have a hyper, difficult child or a different learner, this is not a good learning environment. I suggest visiting, go with your gut not test scores:)

Math

The state average for Math was 40% in 2014.

76 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

75 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2014.

86 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2014.

85 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2014.

85 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2014.

98 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2014.

95 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 17% in 2014.

98 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Source: Michigan Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Above average

Reading growth at this school

Above average

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 MEAP results from the state of Michigan.

2 This rating is based on 2012-13 net growth (significant improvement/improvement - significant decrease/decrease) according to Performance Level Changes from the state of Michigan.

African-American 5% 18%

Source: MI Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

• James Lalik
Fax number
  • (248) 203-4393

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Special education