St. Hugo of the Hills Elementary School 2

Posted June 02, 2015
St. Hugo of the Hills fosters a social culture that is very competitive and seems to go against what a Catholic School should encompass. Our experience is that many children are quick to single out others for ridicule such as when providing an incorrect answer. Teachers and administration seem to accept this behavior as normal and beneficial. Rigorous academics are a badge of honor here however the discipline for behavior is not commensurate. Homework level is fair, however proper study preparation, for continuous quizzes and tests, is non-ceasing. Lack of communication between teachers leads to the common occurrence of 3 to 4 tests on a given day as well as projects also being due. In some classes, there is very little teaching and the students are really learning the material independently. In some classes a difficult concept is not addressed by additional instruction but by simply moving on to the next student for an answer. Class turnover in the upper grades may be a sign of issues. In recent years, as many as 15% to 20% of a class may not return. St. Hugo of the Hills does many things well. For our family the negatives outweighed the positives. St. Hugo of the Hills does prepare students for high school but the methods and philosophy are not for everyone. There is a way for a school to have high expectations and a challenging academic program without being unrealistic.

Posted December 12, 2014
Our children have attended St. Hugo School from K through 8. It has been and continues to be a wonderful education for our children. The community of families is so strong, faithful, supportive and positive. We feel blessed to be a part of it. The teachers at our school are committed and experienced. The administration is remarkable. The teachers and admin work very closely on every aspect of the school. Lesson plans are reviewed weekly by administration and the teachers have a great relationship with fellow teachers and admin. We felt very strongly about sending our kids to our parish school. Attending Mass weekly is just one small part of this. A parish school is such a big part of building a strong Catholic foundation in our children and families. St. Hugo school is a great place. I strongly encourage anyone who might be interested to come check us out!

St. Hugo of the Hills Elementary School 1

Posted December 01, 2014
It is a wonderful experience to have your child attend a Catholic school. My middle school children are much more innocent. My children have been there for 7 years now. It started out so wonderful when they were young. However, the older the kids get, the worse the teaching becomes. The teacher's are very crabby, and not very christian-like. I am often baffled why they yell and punish so much- and my kids are very well behaved!!I don't remember teachers being so grumpy. There is tons of redundant homework, and many times I feel I am teaching my own kid. The administration has no idea what is going on in the classrooms curriculum. They do not check the weekly teaching plan. I have not heard this about other Catholic schools. I am sad to say this but if I had to pick all over again, I would never pick this school.
5 people found this helpful

Posted August 07, 2014
Our son transferred to St Hugo at the beginning of 5th grade and everyone from students to teachers, the principal and the priest made sure he felt welcomed and adjusted to the school. Our once shy son was encouraged to participate and now plays sports year round, plays in two bands at St Hugo and performed in the Jr High play. Our experience at St Hugo has been very positive!

Posted February 17, 2014
St Hugo has provided an excellent atmosphere and commitment to educational excellence and community for our family.

Posted August 21, 2012
All three of my children attended St. Hugo through 8th grade graduation. They were very well prepared for the rigors of high school academics in all subjects and I have no doubt this was/is largely due to the consistent high expectations of St. Hugo teachers and administration, the solid academics taught and reinforced, tradition, and strong morals and values that were taught and modeled. Although there are very good schools in the surrounding area, St. Hugo's students receive much more than an excellent education. They learn strong study habits, discipline, responsibility, and Christian values. An excellent school!

St. Hugo of the Hills Elementary School 4

Posted January 09, 2012
Great school, very strong academically .I agree,classes way to big, and poor kindergarden program with no preK at all.This school teaches very strong believes and good morals, all families very supportive , teachers very friendly and cooperative.

Posted November 13, 2011
Have 2 children at Hugos and love it. Sister Margaret runs a great school. Very dedicated teachers. Great community with very involved families. I could have sent my kids to any school in the area but have no doubt I've made a great choice for my kids. Although other schools have beautiful facilities The education couldn't be better than Hugos!

St. Hugo of the Hills Elementary School 3

Posted August 31, 2009
Great parents and great kids, but the class sizes are far too big, and school leadership doesn't seem to be interested in improvement.

St. Hugo of the Hills Elementary School

Posted February 27, 2009
I am very happy and have been at the school since 1987 this is our last year and i will be very sad to not be here any more

St. Hugo of the Hills Elementary School
380 East Hickory Grove Road, Bloomfield Hills, MI  48304
Last modified St. Hugo of the Hills Elementary School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
St. Hugo of the Hills Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top