9-12|Private

Bad
Good

If your child is intellectually and/or physically mature at a young age as well as interested in Catholicism then the school may be appropriate. However if any of these things don't describe your child, I would choose another school. I graduated from the school in the 80s and at that time it was very conservative, not very welcoming to non-athletes, and did not provide much of a religious education. I found the curriculum very dogmatic and they did not have many outlets for students with any form of creativity. There seem to be two sets of rules, one for athletes and one set of rules for non-stars. And strangely enough teachers even smoked cigarettes in the classrooms! My recommendation would be to visit several schools and even shadow students during daily and afterschool activities to make sure this is the right fit. I would not send my children to the school.

I love the most staff members are very engaging and my son is happy the work is challenging and the Brothers are wonderful

Brother Rice turns your son from a boy into a man. Not only will he be ahead of the curve academically, but also emotionally, physically, psychologically, socially and spiritually. He may not realize it when he is at the school, but once he gets to college (and yes he will go to college), he will be light years ahead of his peers.

My two sons attended Brother Rice High School and the experience was extremely positive. The education was superlative. The teachers were very demanding but fair. One area that I really appreciated was how the students helped each other in their classes. They were very competitive with each other but were always there to work together. Extra curricular activities were well rounded and some endeavors were jointly conducted with Marian High School. They were both involved in athletics and the high level of competition and dedication of the student athletics made challenged them to be the best they could be. I would highly recommend Brother Rice High School to anyone seeking an excellent education in a nurturing environment.

I graduated from Brother Rice and it is still one of the most important and influential decisions of my life. I was lucky enough to be a member of the Band of Brother and experience Academic Excellence in the Catholic Tradition. To this day some of my closest friends and mentors from Brother Rice are still a part of my life. I highly recommend this elite college prep school for anyone looking for more than just and education. Brother Rice helps to craft the body, mind and soul.

I have a son who is a Junior at Br. Rice and think that sending him here was one of the greatest decisions we made. I knew Br. Rice was a great school as everyone I had met at the University of Michigan who was a Br. Rice graduate was mature, focused and had great values. I cannot say the same about other more expensive private schools in the Birmingham area. My son is gifted both academically and athletically and has thrived here. The academics are outstanding and a simple look at the test scores, AP courses offered and the schools graduates are accepted to; will show the prowess of the faculty. While the school is an athletic powerhouse, I do not think too much emphasis is put on sports. Nearly every boy here has played at the travel level of their sport since they were young. As a result, it is difficult to make teams, but there are also no-cut sports. The Band of Brothers process of assigning every incoming student a mentor and having mentoring sessions that include all grades builds networks and bonds that are apparent anytime you encounter alumni. I don't think there is a better public or private school in the area and would highly, highly recommend Br. Rice.

After having had 2 sons graduate from there and move on successfully to college I feel Brother Rice has the makings to be GREAT. It has provided many tools to succeed in every way for the future but that being said I hesitate to send my remaining sons there based on the internal politics which "everyone" is concerned with. It seems the strong beliefs and philosophies in place are adhered to and enforced with the "commoners' only. Loyalties to students of involved parents, certain past alumni,staff, coaches, or large contributers are clearly exempt from theses rules which are bent to fit their needs.We have experienced both sides of this and understand it occurs in the real world. it is not something i feel a Catholic institutiion should so obviously support. I had hoped they would focus more on you earn your place based on YOUR actions and attributes rather than who you are or who you know which goes against Catholic teachings. Hopefully this newer leadership is working on irradicating this practice to teach the men they are responsible for who they are and their actions. This direction would truly make Brother Rice the great institution it has every componenet to be.

Great school, very difficult curriculum but prepares you for life. I would recommend Brother Rice to anyone.

I loved brother rice except for one thing all they care about is sports. I believe my son would have had a better experience at UofD or CC.

Happy with the school in every way. My three boys went to Rice and my daughter went to public school in the area. The boys were well prepared for college and had no transition troubles. My daughter was not prepared and struggled for two year.

Last modified Brother Rice High School is a Private school that serves grades 9-12