Bloomfield Hills, MI

Posted December 13, 2014
My family moved to Michigan from Nevada. Whenever we looked at a home that was zoned for Way Elementary, the "Selling" Realtor would STRESS the selling point that "This house is zoned for Way." There is a culture at this school that is concerned with actually teaching the child through almost a socratic method. "Visible Thinking" is used in every grade and it brings forth interactive conversation about any and every subject that the children are studying. Children discuss things as young adults would in a college setting in an effort for them to really "get it," to understand, appreciate and relate to what they are learning. Every teacher has been thorough, yet extremely caring. Our principal sets the mood of the entire school giving the kids high-fives every day both at drop off and pick up, knowing every child's name and making himself available to parents daily. The PTO and other parents are very welcoming - especially to newcomers. I have only one child and she will have only one elementary school experience. I feel extremely lucky that we found Way Elementary and that she will have not only learned so much, but will have also gained such wonderful memories.

Posted October 26, 2014
This is an outstanding school for a children and parents. They pride themselves on teaching the 'whole' child. This means differentiated teaching to all levels in class, the social aspect of the child and even welcoming parents into the school to participate in activities. The community of parents is welcoming and educational. The principal is an exceptional leader in the school and educational community at large. It's great to see him high fiving kids on the way into school and playing soccer at recess. We are so fortunate to be part of this school! It will be a sad day when our youngest moves on to the middle school (which is just as great, but we'll still miss Way).

Posted September 22, 2014
This is now a K-4 school now. The best part of this school is the Methodology of teaching using Visible Thinking. Teachers are wonderful, extremely dedicated and highly trained. Parents are involved in all areas of the school and even take time to read to children of other grades that are not their own.

Posted September 22, 2014
Way Elementary is an exceptional place for learning and developing thinking skills. The Visible Thinking program helps students understand information in a deeper way and expand creativity. My kids are having the most amazing experience. All of the staff are well trained, passionate, talented professionals who share best practices. I cannot imagine a more happy school where students want to be and teachers love their work! My neighbor told me that "Way is like going to a private school. We hit the lottery with this school. " Obviously, she is a fan as well. I completely agree. Bloomfield Hills School District really supports each school and produces great results. The learning culture here is inclusive and learners are met where they are. From the tech in the classrooms, the student organic garden, to the all-school art show, and learning exhibitions, the children get to be hands on, skilled learners from kindergarten on. We love the school, staff, and the amazing collection of families that attend this school.

Posted October 07, 2013
I must say that after reading these review I agree with most of them. I went to the principle last year with a problem regarding my child and a teacher and it was addressed immediately! In fact the principal has searched me out to make sure that my child is doing well this year and see if more action is required. It is not. I applaud his immediate action and overall administrative style! this is a fabulous school with great staff and involved parents!

Way Elementary School 3

Posted August 19, 2012
As with most schools, there are some great teachers and some not-great teachers. The principle is a good public face, but not great with parents or issues wih kids. The parents are very supportive. For a public school, they are probably above average, but there is definite room for improvement. Some classes are below average in my opinion.

Posted April 27, 2010

Way Elementary School 0

Posted January 02, 2009
Teachers are incredible. My son loves his teacher. We had trouble with his teacher in Kindergarten at another school. His performance had improved greatly from the first week in first grade. Very culturally sensitive. We are very very satisfied

Posted October 18, 2008
You will not hear any complaints about this great elementary school...it is the best public elementary school in the area for the past 30 years, especially with the Harvard Visual Thinking program that was recently initiated. There are over 80 students who transferred to Way from the other elementary schools in the district for their top notch instruction and leadership in education by the principal and teachers.

Posted March 01, 2008

Way Elementary School
765 West Long Lake Road, Bloomfield Hills, MI  48302
Last modified Way Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-4. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Way Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 12 reviews. Top