No rating

The Roeper School - Lower Campus

Private | PK-12 | 270 students

We are best known for commitment to gifted education.

Living in Bloomfield Hills

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $201,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $880.

Posted March 23, 2014

It's hard for me to imagine the reasons for the negative comments below. My son was in a mainstream private school from K-7. When we realized just how miserable he was and the extent to which his needs were not being met, we decided to give Roeper a try. I cannot shower enough praise on this school. 2/3 of the way through his 2nd year there, he is thriving. The teachers and administration know each student and his/her needs and quirks. They foster strengths and work through every type of issue one can imagine. Social skills, emotional issues, organizational skills, academic needs... They know how to deal with gifted children and their unique minds. I look forward to each parent-teacher conference, as I always learn something new about my son from the insights of the teachers. I would highly recommend Roeper to anybody looking for a school for their gifted child.

Posted December 20, 2013

The first week I sent my child to this school she would come home crying and saying "momma, I hate school!!" So I conferenced with her teacher and the teacher was just plain rude and snotty. She said "you need to work with your child on toughening up most kids aren't that sensitive, my daughter doesn't do that!" I then enrolled my child in the Troy school district and the difference was night and day. All the teachers are nice and my daughter loved it. Don't waste your money. Go somewhere else.

Posted April 23, 2013

I had no idea what to expect when I came to Roeper. I had spent 8 years in public school, and that was all I had known. Roeper has changed me. All of the reviews saying that this school has gone downhill, this school is the greatest school ever. If I have a question or a problem, I can meet with my teachers after school and they will give me their individual attention trying to sincerely help me. The material is interesting, and it is very difficult, but not anything they don't think you can handle. Socially, being a girl, there's probably never not going to be a bit of conflict, but it is nothing like public school. Roeper is amazing. Roeper is worth it. Come to roeper. -A Middle School Student

Posted January 20, 2013

In an area full of really terrific public and private school choices, Roeper is a standout. In fact, I cannot imagine any other place for our son. The school is full of very caring top-notch teachers, with small enough class sizes to allow for an individualized curriculum. Students are given choices that allow them to explore areas of interest without losing focus on the core curriculum. There is a strong focus on acceptance and allowing kids to be who they are. It is a very supportive atmosphere, with a rigid academic focus appealing to the gifted. The art program is really amazing. Could not be happier.

Posted January 18, 2013

It s not so much a school is the BEST or not. It s a matter of how everybody in the mix students, teachers, parents contributes to education. In that regard, Roeper is the best in region. Roeper kids had to pass a rigorous assessment up front they are the cream of the crop in terms of giftedness. Kids just learn better & more effectively by hanging around smarter kids. Now, teachers, not sure if every one of them is best trained, but it seems most of them have gifted kids of their own attending the school. They are kind of forced to understand & become expert in raising and educating the gifted. Parents of this school are the most involved that I ve seen. Many of them volunteer to run clubs (chess, girl scouts ), share their professional kills/cultural events, arrange one-of-a-kind field trips, etc. For teaching methods, I like the modularized learning blocks (eg Astronomy Studies & Charity Shop). They mingle math, reading, writing, art, craft, music, social studies etc. into one theme. In the end, kids not only learn a lot, they also made, produce, , achieve a great deal. Giftedness means more than just academics. Roeper has a more holistic and in-depth understanding of that.

Posted October 16, 2012

I cannot say enough good things about Roeper and the wonderful environment it has provided for my children over the past 6 years. Of course,the education component is exemplary due in part to low teacher/student ratios and well trained teachers. Beyond that though is the ability of the teachers to connect with their students, not only academically but emotionally. They find the best aspects of the child and nurture and feed them. Each child is an individual and Roeper tries so hard to make sure that is not lost. It certainly is not lost on a parent who sees happy children come home everyday and leave every morning, ready to take on a new day at a school they love.

Posted October 11, 2012

The leadership of this formerly wonderful school has gone down. The director is a man with limited vision who cares more about product than process, and is turning our beloved institution into something foreign and redundant.

Posted September 5, 2012

I have three children in the Roeper Lower School (this is our fourth year), and we are so pleased with just about every aspect of the school. The educational model should be replicated at every school; two teachers per room with class sizes under 20 children. The schedule is structured so that in addition to the "core" academic subjects, the students get to choose many of the special classes they get to take, depending on their areas of interest. The teachers are for the most part amazing; they really get to know and care for the students. The administration is supportive and responsive. The school has a genuine community feeling. I can't recommend Roeper highly enough.

Posted December 22, 2011

It is impossible for me to say how much Roeper has meant to me in only 1200 characters, but I'll try. I have gone to Roeper from kindergarten all the way through 12th grade and it has been wonderful. In my mind there is one thing that distinguishes Roeper: the students are happy here. Whether it is the teachers, the admissions policies, the extra-curricular activities, the administration, I really have no idea. All I know is that I'm sitting here on Christmas break bored and waiting to go back to school. I am academically challenged (I have been moved up in multiple different classes) and engaged in the community (I do more activities than I can count). I credit Roeper with making me the person I am today.

Posted October 26, 2011

Moving my children to Roeper in 6th and 3rd grade, respectively, was truly life changing. For the first time my children are in classrooms with MANY other children with whom they connect - socially, emotionally and academically, & have teachers who really get what interests and motivates them. Passions are not put on hold while "academics" are taught. Rather, academics are taught through interplay with the children's passions. The philosophy and curriculum fully support the students in ways I've never witnessed in other schools. Communication about the philosophy is an ongoing endeavor, which is what makes the school so unique. Many schools ask parents and students what they think and feel, but then do a superb job of manipulating the answers received to fit preconceived ideas, expectations & consequences that would be, or already are, in place, regardless of what those answers might be. Roeper, on the other hand, not only asks the questions, it listens to, and responds to the answers within it's strong and broad framework of how those answers support equality and respect for all. Is it PERFECT? No. But, it's as close to it as any school I've had experience with.

Posted October 5, 2011

Dear Parents of Gifted Children: Do the research and make your own informed decision before enrolling your child at Roeper. As a former Roeper family and one of many who have taken our children out of Roeper, take this into consideration: class sizes have increased several students above prior year levels, teachers are being hired with no experience teaching gifted children, admission requirements/scores are being lowered to allow children with lower WSC scores into the school to fill up classrooms and generate more revenue, and the new management of the lower school has no understanding of George and Annemarie's vision of what Roeper is about, nor does it understand the gifted child. Does this sound like a place you want your gifted child to attend? Funny how the "positive" reviews and comments are coming from Roeper staff members and not current or former Roeper families. As a former Roeper family, our children will not be back! It's sad how far this school has fallen from what it used to be, but it shows no signs of recovering. Their ARE other education options out there for gifted children. Don't get hung up on Roeper as a "gifted school" because it isn't anymore.

Posted September 27, 2011

Sad State for a great school. Once upon a time this was the best school for gifted kids. Now with each older staff member that retires, a new inexperienced teacher is put in place with little or no gifted background and no training as to the true meaning behind the philosophies. Add this to leadership that doesn't know or care about giftedness and what you have is a school loosing its wonderful ideals and identity. I have seen its ups and downs over the years and they are at the lowest point I remember. The worst part is that its the kids who suffer from poor newer teachers and poor management. It is no longer a school that strives to be a place for gifted kids but a school that strives to fill seats and raise tuition. Its a shame to see George and Annemarie's vision fade away. Don't waste your money until they figure out who the New Roeper is going to be.

Posted August 25, 2011

As someone who has been with The Roeper School for years, I can confidently state that we have never wavered and will never waver in our commitment to educational excellence for the gifted children in our care. I can attest to the school's gifted IQ levels, which have maintained or increased since the economic downturn in 2001. This is something we take seriously and work diligently to monitor and ensure. At Roeper, we hold our admissions standards stringently. As an organization that has long embraced diversity, Roeper certainly welcomes and appreciates diversity of thought, even in the form of dissenting opinions. In fact, our school was founded on, and maintains to this day, a passion for independent voices that challenge convention. While we acknowledge that our school is not for everyone, we are affirmed by the positive feedback we receive from students, parents, alumni and faculty on a regular basis. I warmly welcome anyone who is interested to learn more about The Roeper School to contact me, or better yet, to set up a personal visit. Lori Zinser Director of Admissions The Roeper School

Posted July 22, 2011

Plain and simple: Roeper does not have adequately trained staff to work with the gifted. Any educator who works with gifted kids must be familiar with internal processes/conflicts of the gifted mind and what drives the gifted person forward to replace current ways of thinking. If the gifted child is not nurtured and understood at Roeper the child who has the most to offer society will be the least likely to get their emotional and educational needs met. High IQ + Emotional Immaturity =a gifted child in which Roeper is unable to handle.

Posted June 17, 2011

Had I gone to Roeper, I feel I would have graduated with a better sense of who I was and what I wanted to be. Roeper helps students discover and build upon their passions and embraces diversity of all kinds more than any other academic establishment in which I have worked. It is absolutely true that children in all grades - preschool through 12th grade - are actually happy to be here. It may not be the right fit for everyone, and like any business, dissatisfied customers are inevitable, but for the vast majority of the student body, staff/faculty, and community at large, this place is home.

Posted May 20, 2011

I <3 Roeper, it is a great school. I go there. me and all of my friends love it to :)

Posted May 19, 2011

Roeper is an amazing place. The teachers and administration are wonderful. My kids love school and can't wait to go each day. It is so refreshing to be around a school with such caring and thoughtfulness for the kids. I am lucky to have found such a wonderful place for my kids.

Posted April 26, 2011

Like many parents I didn't know how "lost" my sons were until we found Roeper. They were largely misunderstood at their previous school and chastized for their sense-of humor and excess of questions. The teachers in the Lower School are saint-like. Their patience and support for our kids and our family has been astouding to say the least. I have always found the support staff and administration to be helpful as well- it is a family school where the community supports one-another. While giftedness has a broad range of definitions (not just IQ), we as parents feel like our boys are in challenged and interested in learning for their own sake for the first time ever. Our kids love coming to school- they know themselves and have circles of friends now. We couldn't be happier!

Posted April 21, 2011

We appreciate feedback and take your comments very seriously. Remaining true to the ideals and philosophy that Roeper was founded upon, we place great value in the perspectives and beliefs of each individual. As Head of School, I welcome open and honest discussion, and encourage anyone interested in voicing observations, concerns and opinions to reach out to me. Please feel free to contact me at 248.203.7301 or randall.dunn@roeper.org. Sincerely, Randall Dunn

Posted April 21, 2011

It is hard to put into words how indebted I feel toward AnneMarie and George Roeper for founding this school and to the teachers and administrators who continue to carry on their important philosophy of education. This is a school community. The foundation of the community is built through deep relationships between teachers, students and parents/care givers. It is through these relationships that the educational passion of each student is explored and supported. My children have thrived in this environment. And I have watched other children that have come from other schools absolutely blossom. Nowhere else will you see such an environment of trust and security. The students encourage and cheer for each other instead of competing. It is a nurturing environment that is remarkable. There are no rows of desks or drill seargent teaching methods. Roeper is about a love of learning and a passion for knowledge that only comes through creativity, love, and community support - not through tests, homework and memorization.

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

African-American 15% 20%

• Gym

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Gifted / high performing

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school
  • Randall Dunn, Head of School
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• Library
  • Playground

School culture

Dress Code
  • Neither uniforms nor dress code

Apply now