PK-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)

Posted November 13, 2015
We put 3 kids through Roeper, one at true genius level who had socialization & developmental problems. To say that all 3 thrived is an understatement - they LOVED school & would have slept on cots in the upper school if they had allowed it. We never had to worry about them skipping school & they loved their teachers. We now have 3 successful adults with their own families. As a testament to their experiences at Roeper, two have children who need that environment & have put their children there. One is in middle school & the other in the lower school. Neither child can wait to go to school every day. Some children are not a fit, but that doesn't mean this school isn't fantastic for those who are!!

The Roeper School - Lower Campus
Amount of homework: Just right

Posted November 13, 2015
There are not hours of busywork to complete to prove to parents that the school is strict. Assignments are appropriate to subject matter and not given to create another school day to complete at night.

The Roeper School - Lower Campus 2

Posted April 16, 2015
Roeper is a school with vision, but not implementation. The older teachers rule the roost even though they are not up to date with kids today. They bully the administration into kicking out any kids that cause them to work any harder. They claim to understand gifted children, but really want perfectly behaved academically advanced students, not real gifted children that come with typical gifted side effects (hyperactivity, questioning, behind in some social ways) The younger teachers were great, unfortunately no one is the administration listens to them.

Posted March 23, 2014
It's hard for me to imagine the reasons for the negative comments below. My son was in a mainstream private school from K-7. When we realized just how miserable he was and the extent to which his needs were not being met, we decided to give Roeper a try. I cannot shower enough praise on this school. 2/3 of the way through his 2nd year there, he is thriving. The teachers and administration know each student and his/her needs and quirks. They foster strengths and work through every type of issue one can imagine. Social skills, emotional issues, organizational skills, academic needs... They know how to deal with gifted children and their unique minds. I look forward to each parent-teacher conference, as I always learn something new about my son from the insights of the teachers. I would highly recommend Roeper to anybody looking for a school for their gifted child.

The Roeper School - Lower Campus 1

Posted December 20, 2013
The first week I sent my child to this school she would come home crying and saying "momma, I hate school!!" So I conferenced with her teacher and the teacher was just plain rude and snotty. She said "you need to work with your child on toughening up most kids aren't that sensitive, my daughter doesn't do that!" I then enrolled my child in the Troy school district and the difference was night and day. All the teachers are nice and my daughter loved it. Don't waste your money. Go somewhere else.

Posted April 23, 2013
I had no idea what to expect when I came to Roeper. I had spent 8 years in public school, and that was all I had known. Roeper has changed me. All of the reviews saying that this school has gone downhill, this school is the greatest school ever. If I have a question or a problem, I can meet with my teachers after school and they will give me their individual attention trying to sincerely help me. The material is interesting, and it is very difficult, but not anything they don't think you can handle. Socially, being a girl, there's probably never not going to be a bit of conflict, but it is nothing like public school. Roeper is amazing. Roeper is worth it. Come to roeper. -A Middle School Student

Posted January 20, 2013
In an area full of really terrific public and private school choices, Roeper is a standout. In fact, I cannot imagine any other place for our son. The school is full of very caring top-notch teachers, with small enough class sizes to allow for an individualized curriculum. Students are given choices that allow them to explore areas of interest without losing focus on the core curriculum. There is a strong focus on acceptance and allowing kids to be who they are. It is a very supportive atmosphere, with a rigid academic focus appealing to the gifted. The art program is really amazing. Could not be happier.

Posted January 18, 2013
It s not so much a school is the BEST or not. It s a matter of how everybody in the mix students, teachers, parents contributes to education. In that regard, Roeper is the best in region. Roeper kids had to pass a rigorous assessment up front they are the cream of the crop in terms of giftedness. Kids just learn better & more effectively by hanging around smarter kids. Now, teachers, not sure if every one of them is best trained, but it seems most of them have gifted kids of their own attending the school. They are kind of forced to understand & become expert in raising and educating the gifted. Parents of this school are the most involved that I ve seen. Many of them volunteer to run clubs (chess, girl scouts ), share their professional kills/cultural events, arrange one-of-a-kind field trips, etc. For teaching methods, I like the modularized learning blocks (eg Astronomy Studies & Charity Shop). They mingle math, reading, writing, art, craft, music, social studies etc. into one theme. In the end, kids not only learn a lot, they also made, produce, , achieve a great deal. Giftedness means more than just academics. Roeper has a more holistic and in-depth understanding of that.

Posted October 16, 2012
I cannot say enough good things about Roeper and the wonderful environment it has provided for my children over the past 6 years. Of course,the education component is exemplary due in part to low teacher/student ratios and well trained teachers. Beyond that though is the ability of the teachers to connect with their students, not only academically but emotionally. They find the best aspects of the child and nurture and feed them. Each child is an individual and Roeper tries so hard to make sure that is not lost. It certainly is not lost on a parent who sees happy children come home everyday and leave every morning, ready to take on a new day at a school they love.

The Roeper School - Lower Campus 1

Posted October 11, 2012
The leadership of this formerly wonderful school has gone down. The director is a man with limited vision who cares more about product than process, and is turning our beloved institution into something foreign and redundant.

The Roeper School - Lower Campus
41190 Woodward Avenue, Bloomfield Hills, MI  48304
Last modified The Roeper School - Lower Campus is a Private school that serves grades PK-12