Posted March 23, 2014
It's hard for me to imagine the reasons for the negative comments below. My son was in a mainstream private school from K-7. When we realized just how miserable he was and the extent to which his needs were not being met, we decided to give Roeper a try. I cannot shower enough praise on this school. 2/3 of the way through his 2nd year there, he is thriving. The teachers and administration know each student and his/her needs and quirks. They foster strengths and work through every type of issue one can imagine. Social skills, emotional issues, organizational skills, academic needs... They know how to deal with gifted children and their unique minds. I look forward to each parent-teacher conference, as I always learn something new about my son from the insights of the teachers. I would highly recommend Roeper to anybody looking for a school for their gifted child.

The Roeper School - Lower Campus 1

Posted December 20, 2013
The first week I sent my child to this school she would come home crying and saying "momma, I hate school!!" So I conferenced with her teacher and the teacher was just plain rude and snotty. She said "you need to work with your child on toughening up most kids aren't that sensitive, my daughter doesn't do that!" I then enrolled my child in the Troy school district and the difference was night and day. All the teachers are nice and my daughter loved it. Don't waste your money. Go somewhere else.

Posted April 23, 2013
I had no idea what to expect when I came to Roeper. I had spent 8 years in public school, and that was all I had known. Roeper has changed me. All of the reviews saying that this school has gone downhill, this school is the greatest school ever. If I have a question or a problem, I can meet with my teachers after school and they will give me their individual attention trying to sincerely help me. The material is interesting, and it is very difficult, but not anything they don't think you can handle. Socially, being a girl, there's probably never not going to be a bit of conflict, but it is nothing like public school. Roeper is amazing. Roeper is worth it. Come to roeper. -A Middle School Student

Posted January 20, 2013
In an area full of really terrific public and private school choices, Roeper is a standout. In fact, I cannot imagine any other place for our son. The school is full of very caring top-notch teachers, with small enough class sizes to allow for an individualized curriculum. Students are given choices that allow them to explore areas of interest without losing focus on the core curriculum. There is a strong focus on acceptance and allowing kids to be who they are. It is a very supportive atmosphere, with a rigid academic focus appealing to the gifted. The art program is really amazing. Could not be happier.

Posted January 18, 2013
It s not so much a school is the BEST or not. It s a matter of how everybody in the mix students, teachers, parents contributes to education. In that regard, Roeper is the best in region. Roeper kids had to pass a rigorous assessment up front they are the cream of the crop in terms of giftedness. Kids just learn better & more effectively by hanging around smarter kids. Now, teachers, not sure if every one of them is best trained, but it seems most of them have gifted kids of their own attending the school. They are kind of forced to understand & become expert in raising and educating the gifted. Parents of this school are the most involved that I ve seen. Many of them volunteer to run clubs (chess, girl scouts ), share their professional kills/cultural events, arrange one-of-a-kind field trips, etc. For teaching methods, I like the modularized learning blocks (eg Astronomy Studies & Charity Shop). They mingle math, reading, writing, art, craft, music, social studies etc. into one theme. In the end, kids not only learn a lot, they also made, produce, , achieve a great deal. Giftedness means more than just academics. Roeper has a more holistic and in-depth understanding of that.

Posted October 16, 2012
I cannot say enough good things about Roeper and the wonderful environment it has provided for my children over the past 6 years. Of course,the education component is exemplary due in part to low teacher/student ratios and well trained teachers. Beyond that though is the ability of the teachers to connect with their students, not only academically but emotionally. They find the best aspects of the child and nurture and feed them. Each child is an individual and Roeper tries so hard to make sure that is not lost. It certainly is not lost on a parent who sees happy children come home everyday and leave every morning, ready to take on a new day at a school they love.

The Roeper School - Lower Campus 1

Posted October 11, 2012
The leadership of this formerly wonderful school has gone down. The director is a man with limited vision who cares more about product than process, and is turning our beloved institution into something foreign and redundant.

Posted September 05, 2012
I have three children in the Roeper Lower School (this is our fourth year), and we are so pleased with just about every aspect of the school. The educational model should be replicated at every school; two teachers per room with class sizes under 20 children. The schedule is structured so that in addition to the "core" academic subjects, the students get to choose many of the special classes they get to take, depending on their areas of interest. The teachers are for the most part amazing; they really get to know and care for the students. The administration is supportive and responsive. The school has a genuine community feeling. I can't recommend Roeper highly enough.

Posted December 22, 2011
It is impossible for me to say how much Roeper has meant to me in only 1200 characters, but I'll try. I have gone to Roeper from kindergarten all the way through 12th grade and it has been wonderful. In my mind there is one thing that distinguishes Roeper: the students are happy here. Whether it is the teachers, the admissions policies, the extra-curricular activities, the administration, I really have no idea. All I know is that I'm sitting here on Christmas break bored and waiting to go back to school. I am academically challenged (I have been moved up in multiple different classes) and engaged in the community (I do more activities than I can count). I credit Roeper with making me the person I am today.

Posted October 26, 2011
Moving my children to Roeper in 6th and 3rd grade, respectively, was truly life changing. For the first time my children are in classrooms with MANY other children with whom they connect - socially, emotionally and academically, & have teachers who really get what interests and motivates them. Passions are not put on hold while "academics" are taught. Rather, academics are taught through interplay with the children's passions. The philosophy and curriculum fully support the students in ways I've never witnessed in other schools. Communication about the philosophy is an ongoing endeavor, which is what makes the school so unique. Many schools ask parents and students what they think and feel, but then do a superb job of manipulating the answers received to fit preconceived ideas, expectations & consequences that would be, or already are, in place, regardless of what those answers might be. Roeper, on the other hand, not only asks the questions, it listens to, and responds to the answers within it's strong and broad framework of how those answers support equality and respect for all. Is it PERFECT? No. But, it's as close to it as any school I've had experience with.

The Roeper School - Lower Campus
41190 Woodward Avenue, Bloomfield Hills, MI  48304
Last modified The Roeper School - Lower Campus is a Private school that serves grades PK-12
The Roeper School - Lower Campus Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 30 reviews. Top