Bad
Good

My daughter went there for her 6th grade year. We are school of choice because we heard such great things about Hartland. Lunches, the activities and choices they get for recess, the books in each classroom and all around the building BEST ever! Smart Boards in all the rooms. An amazing art room, gym and band is top notch. I am an educator and I've never seen so many opportunities to read. A lot of the teachers were born and raised in Hartland and came back so they are very dedicated to their school. The only reason I gave a 4 vs a 5 is my daughter is gifted and we asked repeatedly for advanced math and other challenges because we heard they had a gifted program, one of the reasons we went there, and she never received any of these challenges. In fact, her teacher who taught math would stop her in class for going ahead of the lecture. So she had to limp along with the lecture like she's done at every school before now.

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly agree

I have not seen or heard of any cases of bullying.

Supports LD students: Agree

They have a gifted program and when that fills I was told my daughter would get some differential instructions as a result. This didn't materialize. She sought out most of the differentiation herself. This may have just been the teacher she had.

Effective school leaders: Strongly agree

Very excellent leadership across the board. There are standards and the kids know it and the leaders follow through every time so it maintains order.

Develops character: Strongly agree

Very highly respectful students. Best I've ever seen in a public school and I am a career teacher myself. Can not speak highly enough about this. I went on every field trip and the students were always exemplary.

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

I think for the most part. My daughter had 3 out of 4 that were very effective. Her math teacher didn't seem to teach to her level. She taught the curriculum but did not challenge a child that clearly needed to be challenged even though we had a few meetings on this and the teacher showed us several ways she would change it up but didn't in the end follow through. .

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

Hartland does a nice balance of homework and class work.

I have heard great things about many teachers at Farms, but unfortunately we did not get one of those teachers. We had a teacher who ridiculed students for asking questions, regularly yelled at the class to "shut up!," threw things at kids couple of times, regularly shared about her bitterness toward parents and abandonment issues, showed offensive movies to class, did not do appropriate planning for school activities, and refused to deal with children in class who were known "bullies" of school. Principal said teacher was a "nice person." She may have been a nice person, just not a good teacher.

The principal mentioned in review 6/1/2012 is no longer at the school. Our experience with the school has been great thus far. The staff are all very friendly and helpful. The teachers reinforce the need for responsibility and accountability; which was sorely missing from CSA. If the child turns in late assignments they lose points the first time and get a zero the second time. The children are being trained how to be responsible and organized with deadlines, planners and consequences matching real world scenarios they will find one day at a job or career. CSA didn't believe in the real world we are much more satisfied with the quality education our child is receiving in the Hartland School District.

Premier school of choice it is not. We made an appointment to meet the principle and discuss the benefits of our child going to school there. The principle at first seemed polite and courteous but this behavior gave way to one of condescending, discourteous, and downright rude and disrespectful when we tried to ask in more detail about english, math, and science programs at the school. During the meeting he even made the comment to someone outside of his office that he would be done soon because he only had parents there shopping around for a school.

Last modified Hartland Farms Intermediate School is a Public school that serves grades 4-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.