School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Shepherd of the Lakes provides an excellent Christ-centered education for students in preschool-8th grade. Our school has wonderful support from a church community of more than 1000 members. Parents are also involved regularly. Our teachers meet and exceed state standards for educators. Our school has experienced growth in student enrollment and extra-curricular programming over the last five years and is looking forward to continuing to be a great place for parents and their children.
January 25, 2015

Posted March 31, 2015
Superior place to assist parents in educating their children. We are very happy with our choice. We cannot say enough about the teachers, principal and staff! A pleasure to visit, learn and thrive!

Posted January 26, 2015
Feel very thankful for Shepherd of the Lakes. Lots of great programs and support, and most of all a Christ-centered education. The teachers and administration communicate well with me. The school atmosphere is very loving.
4 people found this helpful

Posted January 23, 2015
Our family has had a wonderful experience at Shepherd of the Lakes. The teachers have been kind, caring, and gone above and beyond what we had experienced at public schools. The best part is that my children get to PRAY for others on a regular basis! Everyone from the head pastor, to the Principal, and the teachers have the children s best interest in mind. This year they started a sports program that my daughter has been able to participate in. They also have many other extra-curricular activities for the students. Our family is very pleased with the school at Shepherd of the Lakes.

Posted January 22, 2015
Initially we chose Shepherd of the Lakes because we wanted half day kindergarden. Once our children started going to school there we quickly realized that it was where our children belong. Each teacher from preschool to 8th grade truly cares about the children in that school. Because of the smaller class sizes, the teachers are able to individualize some of the school work to meet your child's needs. The administration strives to add curriculum and activities to add to your child's learning . When I drop my children off I feel they are safe and happy. I would encourage anyone thinking about kindergarden or changing schools to go there meet the staff and the school .
4 people found this helpful

Posted January 21, 2015
What a Blessing this school has been to my children and our entire family! I never thought of sending my kids to private school....I went to public school and turned out fine! 5 years ago when it was time to send my oldest to preschool a friend suggested Shepherd of the Lakes saying" how much she loved it there". We were impressed with the curriculum, Christian values, class size, administration and over all loving environment. All of our kids are now students there and we couldn't be happier. That being said, no school is perfect. Any issues that have concerned my husband and I have been handled the in most professional and timely fashion. We have been nothing but impressed with the principle that joined the staff 4 years ago. Juli Van Deven has brought our school to new heights of achievement. Can't wait to enroll for next year!
5 people found this helpful

Shepherd of the Lakes Lutheran School 2

Posted January 18, 2015
In the last few years the school has been declining in the administration of the educational component. While they do a good job with the moral and religious component, their hiring practices are questionable. When there is a professional vacancy, it is filled from within the church congregation or friends/family of the administration. The goal should be to hire the best, most qualified teacher(s) and staff for the good of the students.
20 people found this helpful

Shepherd of the Lakes Lutheran School 4

Posted June 08, 2014
No school is perfect. . .and that's why I LOVE Shepherd of the Lakes. At SOTL God's grace is understood and shared. I had the recent experience of observing a class prepare for the end of the day. The students gathered what they needed, packed their bags, and then together the students and teacher sang the song every child at SOTL learns in chapel, "Father bless us as we go, Jesus walk beside us, Holy Spirit guide us." Those students leave, daily, knowing that they have a God who loves them, walks with them, and guides them. That is priceless. Thankful!
2 people found this helpful

Posted May 29, 2014
Our child has been in of Shepherd of the Lakes School for 7 years! Our child has grown into such a well rounded person in great part because of this school. Every single teacher, including the Specials, and Pastors have been extremely supportive of our child and family. Their doors are always open! The children have a unique bond with each other and at any given moment will pray for one another! We love that our child can ask questions about God and get a well educated Christian response. Our entire family have made lasting friendships through the school too! We could not say enough wonderful things about Shepherd of the Lakes!

Posted May 26, 2014
Our family is blessed by loving staff, knowledgeable and loving teachers, and a wonderful environment that is Christ centered in their approach to education. My kids learn the necessary facts in school but they also learn about God's love for them.

Posted May 17, 2014
My children have attended this school for 3 years and will continue! The school staff and teachers are kind and are supportive not only to the children but the parents as well! There is no doubt that the best interests of the children are always at the forefront of every decision and event. The church staff and congregation is filled with families who are united in one mission to transform homes through God's grace! We are blessed to be a part of this Christ centered environment!

Shepherd of the Lakes Lutheran School
2101 S Hacker Road, Brighton, MI  48114
Last modified Shepherd of the Lakes Lutheran School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
Shepherd of the Lakes Lutheran School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 38 reviews. Top