School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Shepherd of the Lakes provides an excellent Christ-centered education for students in preschool-8th grade. Our school has wonderful support from a church community of more than 1000 members. Parents are also involved regularly. Our teachers meet and exceed state standards for educators. Our school has experienced growth in student enrollment and extra-curricular programming over the last five years and is looking forward to continuing to be a great place for parents and their children.
January 25, 2015

Posted May 31, 2015
Love the teachers and the way they interact with students at this school! A truly safe place for our children to thrive both academically and spiritually. SOTL has done a superior job balancing faith and reason. Thank you SOTL!!!!!

Shepherd of the Lakes Lutheran School 1

Posted May 11, 2015
The school has lots of cliques among adults (you'll swear you're back in junior high school) and unfortunately it trickles down to the children. I sometimes wonder if it has anything to do with the friends/family hiring policies. Academically, they're average (I compare my child's school work against public school work of the same grade), however, they'll tell you they're superior.

Posted March 31, 2015
Superior place to assist parents in educating their children. We are very happy with our choice. We cannot say enough about the teachers, principal and staff! A pleasure to visit, learn and thrive!

Posted January 26, 2015
Feel very thankful for Shepherd of the Lakes. Lots of great programs and support, and most of all a Christ-centered education. The teachers and administration communicate well with me. The school atmosphere is very loving.

Message to families
SCHOOL LEADER
Posted January 25, 2015

Posted January 23, 2015
Our family has had a wonderful experience at Shepherd of the Lakes. The teachers have been kind, caring, and gone above and beyond what we had experienced at public schools. The best part is that my children get to PRAY for others on a regular basis! Everyone from the head pastor, to the Principal, and the teachers have the children s best interest in mind. This year they started a sports program that my daughter has been able to participate in. They also have many other extra-curricular activities for the students. Our family is very pleased with the school at Shepherd of the Lakes.

Posted January 22, 2015
Initially we chose Shepherd of the Lakes because we wanted half day kindergarden. Once our children started going to school there we quickly realized that it was where our children belong. Each teacher from preschool to 8th grade truly cares about the children in that school. Because of the smaller class sizes, the teachers are able to individualize some of the school work to meet your child's needs. The administration strives to add curriculum and activities to add to your child's learning . When I drop my children off I feel they are safe and happy. I would encourage anyone thinking about kindergarden or changing schools to go there meet the staff and the school .
5 people found this helpful

Posted January 21, 2015
What a Blessing this school has been to my children and our entire family! I never thought of sending my kids to private school....I went to public school and turned out fine! 5 years ago when it was time to send my oldest to preschool a friend suggested Shepherd of the Lakes saying" how much she loved it there". We were impressed with the curriculum, Christian values, class size, administration and over all loving environment. All of our kids are now students there and we couldn't be happier. That being said, no school is perfect. Any issues that have concerned my husband and I have been handled the in most professional and timely fashion. We have been nothing but impressed with the principle that joined the staff 4 years ago. Juli Van Deven has brought our school to new heights of achievement. Can't wait to enroll for next year!
6 people found this helpful

Shepherd of the Lakes Lutheran School 4

Posted June 08, 2014
No school is perfect. . .and that's why I LOVE Shepherd of the Lakes. At SOTL God's grace is understood and shared. I had the recent experience of observing a class prepare for the end of the day. The students gathered what they needed, packed their bags, and then together the students and teacher sang the song every child at SOTL learns in chapel, "Father bless us as we go, Jesus walk beside us, Holy Spirit guide us." Those students leave, daily, knowing that they have a God who loves them, walks with them, and guides them. That is priceless. Thankful!
3 people found this helpful

Posted May 29, 2014
Our child has been in of Shepherd of the Lakes School for 7 years! Our child has grown into such a well rounded person in great part because of this school. Every single teacher, including the Specials, and Pastors have been extremely supportive of our child and family. Their doors are always open! The children have a unique bond with each other and at any given moment will pray for one another! We love that our child can ask questions about God and get a well educated Christian response. Our entire family have made lasting friendships through the school too! We could not say enough wonderful things about Shepherd of the Lakes!
3 people found this helpful

Shepherd of the Lakes Lutheran School
2101 S Hacker Road, Brighton, MI  48114
Last modified Shepherd of the Lakes Lutheran School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
Shepherd of the Lakes Lutheran School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 40 reviews. Top