Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Ineffective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Charyl Stockwell Academy - High School 4

Posted October 04, 2015
I am currently a sophomore at CSPA and I am loving it! I do agree that the school is not for everyone, but for many, it is perfect. I am honestly surprised by how many awful reviews there are. I never see bullying at our school and if there is any meanness, my friends and I at least, stick up for those being offended. Anything that may happen is nothing compared to the horrible things that happen in public schools like Brighton and Howell. Also, there is relatively little drug usage. If anyone at all uses, they don't talk about; it is definitely not cool here. As for the 80% grade expectations, I have no problem with them. I do not have trouble keeping my grades up and my teachers and peers are very supportive. I have only used the mastery policy a couple of times for small assignments, however, I do think for some students, it has helped them to stay above a 79%. I can't imagine going to another school. I have so many friends here. I feel like the small size helps us all feel like a family. At least in my class of 2018, we have no major issues with one another.

Posted August 12, 2015
If a family has had children in this district since kindergarten , how would they have a balanced opinion? Hartland, Brighton, Huron Valley, Howell, Fowllerville school districts are highly rated and provide busing at no extra expense to a family. These public school districts also provide needed services to ALL children, not a handful that seem gifted. Most teachers are willing to go the extra mile to support a child willing to learn no matter where they teach! CSA District is definitely not for every child.

Charyl Stockwell Academy - High School 5

Posted July 30, 2015
My three children have all gone to CSA since Kindergarten. Now that my youngest is at CSPA high school I am looking back and really appreciating the whole child approach that CSA offers. Anyone can teach academics but I believe it takes much more than that to be successful in life. All three of my children have wonderful work ethic. Then really understand how to produce quality work. Throughout the years many teachers have given things back to them and asked them to re-do, add more, or edit. Although that may have frustrated them at the time, it was a wonderful opportunity that would have been missed if the teacher just accepted their work and moved on. The teachers at CSA really got to know my children and communicated with me. Teachers called me when something was going on with my child and together we worked on the problem. I am appreciative of the “extras” that CSA offered. I know it has made a difference with my children. In today’s world it is not good enough to just be book smart. To be successful in life they need good work ethic, to be able to communicate well, and work well with others. CSA teaches these things.

Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted July 29, 2015
we moved children to other schools because it became more and more clear that CSA was not the place for our open minded family. We also had concerns with academics, especially math and science as the children progressed to higher grade levels. We know many family's that have had success at CSA/CSPA and many families that had horrible experiences that have left them bitter and their children needing a lot of extra help. CSA is a family if your kids fit the mold, not every child fits. Pay attention and be involved to insure that your child's best interest is truly being honored. Be sure to get second opinions if your child is labeled, this place may not be right.

Posted July 24, 2015
I am a former student of the high school, and I have to say it is the worst school I have ever been in. I used to be a straight A  student, until my parents made the unfotunfortunate decision to move here. Here, I developed an anxiety disorder from the amount of stress they put on us to succeed, and I know many others who have had the same stress. While the school may advertise about "educating the whole child" and "academic excellence",  it's the complete opposite. Most students barely pass assignments and classes (if they do at all)... Why? Because of this so-called "mastery", where a student has to get an 80% on and in everything. That sounds fine, right? Well, the teachers also allow them to turn work in at any point, even months late. This doesn't give students the discipline to get work in on time, nor the ability to accept failure. I moved to Hartland High this past year, and the transition was difficult (training myself to study again, working harder to get work in), however I felt a huge burden off of my shoulders; my anxiety had left, and by the second semester I was achieving my regular grades again. In conclusion, please DO NOT give this school your money or support. They have sketchy leadership, a horrible academic program, and do not prepare your child for the real world.

Develops grit: Strongly disagree

Posted July 24, 2015
This school's "mastery" policy gives the students no work ethic, nor discipline to get work done. They basically allow students to turn in homework whenever, and hash out passing grades regardless for credibility.

Posted July 23, 2015
This school was, frankly, awful. I attended CSA since kindergarten, and graduated in 2013. Let me run through a short list of some of the many problems: 1. It was a revolving door for teachers. You could barely count on any teacher making it through the entire year, much less coming back in the fall! 2. The administration did not respect the students and played clear favorites. While I'm sure that happens in every school, it was especially apparent here due to the small size. 3. Curriculum was routinely awful. This was in part a result of nearly every teacher being brand spankin' new, but the course offerings were tiny and electives got the short end of the stick. (A large offender to me was the complete lack of any sort of Sex Ed in the Health class. It's simply mind-boggling to think that a student can make it through 12 years at the same school and not once hear a discussion about the facts of life.) 4. Forgot your tie on a regalia day? No learnin' for you -- you either had to borrow one from a friend, get your parents to bring one, or spend the entire day sitting in a room somewhere doing nothing. Same with most other uniform infractions. 5. The culture of the school was unbearable. Ever want your kids to develop into casually racist conservatives who hate everyone from a slightly different walk of life? Send 'em here! (though to be fair, that was more likely a side effect of being located in between Brighton and Howell.) The only thing that made my experience even slightly bearable were a couple of the teachers and my friends in my graduating class. The small size made us feel like a family of sorts. Those good teachers are gone now, though, so I don't expect much from this school in the future.

Charyl Stockwell Academy - High School 5

Posted February 12, 2015
This is our first year at CSA and we couldn't be happier. The parents are incredibly involved and so are the older kids with the younger kids. The teachers that I've come in touch with have all been amazing. My daughter was having a hard time transitioning in the mornings and her teacher figured out a clever way to engage her immediately so she wasn't sad when I left the classroom. I days we have had a sub she has let the sun know exactly what my daughters morning ritual is so there is no anxiety in my daughters part. The school focuses on the whole child and not simply academics. Although the testing results shows that they are leading in academics too. I couldn't be happier with our decision to send our daughter to this school of choice charter school. It has such a comforting "private school" feel with out the tuition that comes with a private school.

Charyl Stockwell Academy - High School 4

Posted October 29, 2014
I just wanted to clarify that Charyl Stockwell Preparatory High School offers other foreign languages besides Spanish. You can take any on-line language class and the school pays for it. Also, they offer several AP classes with a passing rate of over 90% of those most students score a 4 or 5 on the AP Exam. Yes, we do lose some of the teachers that choose not to return the following school year, but that is because they were not the correct fit for CSPA and that charter schools are underfunded. Charter schools teachers do not receive a pension and some choose to return to a public school to obtain that pension. The teachers that continue with CSPA are dedicated to the hard work and to the students of CSPA. My children have been with CSPA since kindergarden and I would never think of going anywhere else.

Posted October 28, 2014
I considered enrolling my children at the high school but learned course selection is limited (Spanish is only foreign language offered) there are no honors courses and the staff turnover is very high, which means AP courses are taught by inexperienced teachers. My friend pulled his children because they can't keep their good teachers.

1021 Karl Greimel, Brighton, MI  48116
Last modified Charyl Stockwell Academy - High School is a Charter school that serves grades 6-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Charyl Stockwell Academy - High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 55 reviews. Top