Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

Our children have attended CSA/CSPA for four years. We are very pleased with our experience with the district. Our children transferred from a christian based, private school that we loved. We regret not transferring them sooner though after experiencing firsthand what an outstanding, tuition free school district CSA is. We count our blessings every day that our children are a part of such a wonderful school community. The teachers/administrators are dedicated to education, the students, and parents. Both campuses are run very professionally. The kids are kind and the district sets the tone for a kind, nurturing, loving environment. Our children have wonderful friends. We feel that the smaller scale of the school has enabled us to effectively get to know our children's friends as well as the parents and teachers. That is important to us. The CSA community is a big family that wants the very best for our children. Our children are challenged, take advantage of the advanced placement courses, the athletics programs and are excelling. The CSA district has high expectations for their students, teachers/administrators and strives for excellence. We are very dedicated and particular parents when it comes to our children's education and the environment that our children spend their day in. We're so grateful this is an option for us. Needless to say, we love CSA and CSPA! My hope would be that every parent could feel as blessed as we do to find the perfect place and fit for their family. Mom of a Junior, Freshman, Second grader and soon to be Kindergartener.

The individualized attention and family atmosphere cannot be beat!

Okay. I feel like I need to set the record straight about inaccuracies, first the negatives. I am currently a middle school student, and have attended this school since 1st grade. No, there is no sex-ed class, yes, you have to have an 80% to pass, yes, the bus is expensive and you can't have walkers, and yes, sometimes the dress code is unreasonable, yes, the teachers change, and yes, this school is not for everyone. The teachers are all very nice, despite the occasional swap and are generally very accepting. We are not a large school by any means, nor do we have a lot of money, but such a size makes it easy for everyone to know each other. This also goes to explain our short list of electives of extra classes, but I assure you, as a new school, we still have struggles but it's definitely being worked on. We have a fairly successful sports program, but are lacking in the arts (our bands base drum is a marching band drum on a laundry basket stand) and are, as of a few years ago, a School of Excellence. According to my sister, in the high school, drug use is little. Of course, there will always drama, but bullying is little too. The grades however, although is may seem difficult to stay on top, are alright. I've never been a good student, and my grades range from high b's to high a's. Mastery is quite useful, but there are due dates for them, so you only have about a week to fix any errors, and you only get mastery on things you turn in on time. As having an inside source (daughter of a teacher), I know that all the staff work hard to keep a safe environment, and it seems much better than what I've heard from public schools. Honestly, the biggest problem I have with my school, is the lack of proper middle/high school color schemes. First, maroon and grey/silver, to maroon and gold, to maroon and white, to maroon and black, to the disgusting teal and orange carpet squares. Honestly. Pick a single color scheme. Although, if you have any questions and need a inside look, just review.

I am currently a sophomore at CSPA and I am loving it! I do agree that the school is not for everyone, but for many, it is perfect. I am honestly surprised by how many awful reviews there are. I never see bullying at our school and if there is any meanness, my friends and I at least, stick up for those being offended. Anything that may happen is nothing compared to the horrible things that happen in public schools like Brighton and Howell. Also, there is relatively little drug usage. If anyone at all uses, they don't talk about; it is definitely not cool here. As for the 80% grade expectations, I have no problem with them. I do not have trouble keeping my grades up and my teachers and peers are very supportive. I have only used the mastery policy a couple of times for small assignments, however, I do think for some students, it has helped them to stay above a 79%. I can't imagine going to another school. I have so many friends here. I feel like the small size helps us all feel like a family. At least in my class of 2018, we have no major issues with one another.

If a family has had children in this district since kindergarten , how would they have a balanced opinion? Hartland, Brighton, Huron Valley, Howell, Fowllerville school districts are highly rated and provide busing at no extra expense to a family. These public school districts also provide needed services to ALL children, not a handful that seem gifted. Most teachers are willing to go the extra mile to support a child willing to learn no matter where they teach! CSA District is definitely not for every child.

My three children have all gone to CSA since Kindergarten. Now that my youngest is at CSPA high school I am looking back and really appreciating the whole child approach that CSA offers. Anyone can teach academics but I believe it takes much more than that to be successful in life. All three of my children have wonderful work ethic. Then really understand how to produce quality work. Throughout the years many teachers have given things back to them and asked them to re-do, add more, or edit. Although that may have frustrated them at the time, it was a wonderful opportunity that would have been missed if the teacher just accepted their work and moved on. The teachers at CSA really got to know my children and communicated with me. Teachers called me when something was going on with my child and together we worked on the problem. I am appreciative of the “extras” that CSA offered. I know it has made a difference with my children. In today’s world it is not good enough to just be book smart. To be successful in life they need good work ethic, to be able to communicate well, and work well with others. CSA teaches these things.

Develops character: Disagree

we moved children to other schools because it became more and more clear that CSA was not the place for our open minded family. We also had concerns with academics, especially math and science as the children progressed to higher grade levels. We know many family's that have had success at CSA/CSPA and many families that had horrible experiences that have left them bitter and their children needing a lot of extra help. CSA is a family if your kids fit the mold, not every child fits. Pay attention and be involved to insure that your child's best interest is truly being honored. Be sure to get second opinions if your child is labeled, this place may not be right.

I am a former student of the high school, and I have to say it is the worst school I have ever been in. I used to be a straight A  student, until my parents made the unfotunfortunate decision to move here. Here, I developed an anxiety disorder from the amount of stress they put on us to succeed, and I know many others who have had the same stress. While the school may advertise about "educating the whole child" and "academic excellence",  it's the complete opposite. Most students barely pass assignments and classes (if they do at all)... Why? Because of this so-called "mastery", where a student has to get an 80% on and in everything. That sounds fine, right? Well, the teachers also allow them to turn work in at any point, even months late. This doesn't give students the discipline to get work in on time, nor the ability to accept failure. I moved to Hartland High this past year, and the transition was difficult (training myself to study again, working harder to get work in), however I felt a huge burden off of my shoulders; my anxiety had left, and by the second semester I was achieving my regular grades again. In conclusion, please DO NOT give this school your money or support. They have sketchy leadership, a horrible academic program, and do not prepare your child for the real world.

This school was, frankly, awful. I attended CSA since kindergarten, and graduated in 2013. Let me run through a short list of some of the many problems: 1. It was a revolving door for teachers. You could barely count on any teacher making it through the entire year, much less coming back in the fall! 2. The administration did not respect the students and played clear favorites. While I'm sure that happens in every school, it was especially apparent here due to the small size. 3. Curriculum was routinely awful. This was in part a result of nearly every teacher being brand spankin' new, but the course offerings were tiny and electives got the short end of the stick. (A large offender to me was the complete lack of any sort of Sex Ed in the Health class. It's simply mind-boggling to think that a student can make it through 12 years at the same school and not once hear a discussion about the facts of life.) 4. Forgot your tie on a regalia day? No learnin' for you -- you either had to borrow one from a friend, get your parents to bring one, or spend the entire day sitting in a room somewhere doing nothing. Same with most other uniform infractions. 5. The culture of the school was unbearable. Ever want your kids to develop into casually racist conservatives who hate everyone from a slightly different walk of life? Send 'em here! (though to be fair, that was more likely a side effect of being located in between Brighton and Howell.) The only thing that made my experience even slightly bearable were a couple of the teachers and my friends in my graduating class. The small size made us feel like a family of sorts. Those good teachers are gone now, though, so I don't expect much from this school in the future.

This is our first year at CSA and we couldn't be happier. The parents are incredibly involved and so are the older kids with the younger kids. The teachers that I've come in touch with have all been amazing. My daughter was having a hard time transitioning in the mornings and her teacher figured out a clever way to engage her immediately so she wasn't sad when I left the classroom. I days we have had a sub she has let the sun know exactly what my daughters morning ritual is so there is no anxiety in my daughters part. The school focuses on the whole child and not simply academics. Although the testing results shows that they are leading in academics too. I couldn't be happier with our decision to send our daughter to this school of choice charter school. It has such a comforting "private school" feel with out the tuition that comes with a private school.

Last modified Charyl Stockwell Academy - High School is a Charter school that serves grades 6-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.