Posted October 29, 2014
I just wanted to clarify that Charyl Stockwell Preparatory High School offers other foreign languages besides Spanish. You can take any on-line language class and the school pays for it. Also, they offer several AP classes with a passing rate of over 90% of those most students score a 4 or 5 on the AP Exam. Yes, we do lose some of the teachers that choose not to return the following school year, but that is because they were not the correct fit for CSPA and that charter schools are underfunded. Charter schools teachers do not receive a pension and some choose to return to a public school to obtain that pension. The teachers that continue with CSPA are dedicated to the hard work and to the students of CSPA. My children have been with CSPA since kindergarden and I would never think of going anywhere else.
2 people found this helpful

Posted October 28, 2014
I considered enrolling my children at the high school but learned course selection is limited (Spanish is only foreign language offered) there are no honors courses and the staff turnover is very high, which means AP courses are taught by inexperienced teachers. My friend pulled his children because they can't keep their good teachers.
4 people found this helpful

Posted April 24, 2014
My student said the word "lesbian" and was held in the office for hours. I wasn't aware that is a bad word? How unfortunate!

Posted December 20, 2013
I'm a grandmother of a student at CSA. My own children went to a private school and then 1 eventually transferred to public high school (a big mistake since it was like party time all the time). My grandson is doing very well so far. I love the uniforms (easy and no issues getting dressed in the am and no competition at school). My only issue is not being on a public school schedule (especially the end of the year. End of school being in the middle of June is not ideal for our family as we have to take him out each and every year for a week. Public schools in the area are finished by then. Personally, I don't like hte 1/2 day Fridays but I'm sure other parents are happy with it. Parents definitely have to be flexible. Although emails are addressed by staff quickly, notification re: parties, activities, etc. are not given very far in advance. I haven't heard issues with bullying (although I did when he went to public pre-K) and I am sure he would have mentioned it if he saw or was a victim of it. This is his 2nd year at CSA. So far, so good!

Charyl Stockwell Academy - High School 5

Posted November 20, 2013
CSPA is an outstanding school. This in our children's first year at CSPA and we are very impressed with the school. We have two middle school students that previously attended a private school. The teachers and staff are wonderful and we appreciate the strong parent / teacher connection. Our children are thriving and taking advantage of the AP classes. We feel CSPA has a outstanding curriculum and philosophy. CSPA has strong leadership and high expectations from the teachers and the students. We feel very blessed to have our children in this type of learning environment. Note: No school is perfect and all schools have room for improvements.

Charyl Stockwell Academy - High School 3

Posted November 07, 2013
I am in the middle school now but obviously have seen and heard enough. To clarify to everyone: the elementary school is amazing. Great environment, teachers, education, kids, school, etc. But the middle school gets a little more choppy, and then the high school- it's nothing like the elementary. We have a different administration than the elementary so it's very different.

Posted October 29, 2013
I am a student at Charyl Stockwell preparatory academy and I like the school. I find most of the kids nice and kind, although there are a few that are not. I went to a public school before this school and I have seen a great increase in my grades. I enjoy most of my classes and the opportunities that I receive. I have gotten so many opportunities that most school would never give there students.

Posted September 04, 2013
Unless you have the ability and/or are prepared to make last minute adjustments to your family schedule, to meet the schools constantly changing requirments, I would not recommend this school. Families were notified 2 weeks before school began that the cost for the shuttle use was changing from $55 to $800. The first day of school, after parents completed forms, requested by the school, to allow their child to be a walker after school, we were told that no student will be allowed to leave campus as a walker. We all had to postpone family plans for that evening, to figure out how to make new arrangments for our children the following day, with our work schedules.

Charyl Stockwell Academy - High School 3

Posted August 13, 2013
Be careful about these reviews, not all true. There are more than 3 kids still in college, many doing very well. Some were never college bound or moved into their specialty outside a traditional university setting (film, entrepreneurs, etc). There is good and bad about all schools. Bullying while it unacceptable, is common in all schools. CSPA has a very diverse population: some who've only been homeschooled and may not have the skills to deal with these issues. That makes problems seem harder to address. I like that CSPA offers a smaller environment, learn at your pace, project based learning across subjects (mixing math, science, social studies within projects), and stresses community. I don't like the 'mastery' process, so my child has transitioned away from that and takes their first grade, because of my rules. Parents can be more restrictive than the school policy, work w/ the teachers and accept the consequences. CSPA is not for everyone. It is inconvenient (no traditional buses, no hot lunch, half day fridays). But if you work with the school as a team parent-teacher-student, it can be a very good experience. Teachers work well w/ parents who make the effort.

Charyl Stockwell Academy - High School 5

Posted July 05, 2013
My son attends Charyl Stockwell Preparatory Academy in Brighton MI. We are so grateful he is a student in this high school. We moved to MI his freshman year and he had a very difficult time in the huge public high school. He has gone from being lost in the crowd and disengaged to being an active participant in his education. The teachers are exceptional and truly care for each student. He is thriving because of the safe emotional environment and intellectual rapport with engaged teachers.

Charyl Stockwell Academy - High School
1021 Karl Greimel, Brighton, MI  48116
Last modified Charyl Stockwell Academy - High School is a Charter school that serves grades 6-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Charyl Stockwell Academy - High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 34 reviews. Top