Public charter
Brighton, MI

Posted July 30, 2015
My three children have all gone to CSA since Kindergarten. Now that my youngest is at CSPA high school I am looking back and really appreciating the whole child approach that CSA offers. Anyone can teach academics but I believe it takes much more than that to be successful in life. All three of my children have wonderful work ethic. Then really understand how to produce quality work. Throughout the years many teachers have given things back to them and asked them to re-do, add more, or edit. Although that may have frustrated them at the time, it was a wonderful opportunity that would have been missed if the teacher just accepted their work and moved on. The teachers at CSA really got to know my children and communicated with me. Teachers called me when something was going on with my child and together we worked on the problem. I am appreciative of the “extras” that CSA offered. I know it has made a difference with my children. In today’s world it is not good enough to just be book smart. To be successful in life they need good work ethic, to be able to communicate well, and work well with others. CSA teaches these things.

Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted July 29, 2015
we moved children to other schools because it became more and more clear that CSA was not the place for our open minded family. We also had concerns with academics, especially math and science as the children progressed to higher grade levels. We know many family's that have had success at CSA/CSPA and many families that had horrible experiences that have left them bitter and their children needing a lot of extra help. CSA is a family if your kids fit the mold, not every child fits. Pay attention and be involved to insure that your child's best interest is truly being honored. Be sure to get second opinions if your child is labeled, this place may not be right.

Posted July 24, 2015
I am a former student of the high school, and I have to say it is the worst school I have ever been in. I used to be a straight A  student, until my parents made the unfotunfortunate decision to move here. Here, I developed an anxiety disorder from the amount of stress they put on us to succeed, and I know many others who have had the same stress. While the school may advertise about "educating the whole child" and "academic excellence",  it's the complete opposite. Most students barely pass assignments and classes (if they do at all)... Why? Because of this so-called "mastery", where a student has to get an 80% on and in everything. That sounds fine, right? Well, the teachers also allow them to turn work in at any point, even months late. This doesn't give students the discipline to get work in on time, nor the ability to accept failure. I moved to Hartland High this past year, and the transition was difficult (training myself to study again, working harder to get work in), however I felt a huge burden off of my shoulders; my anxiety had left, and by the second semester I was achieving my regular grades again. In conclusion, please DO NOT give this school your money or support. They have sketchy leadership, a horrible academic program, and do not prepare your child for the real world.

Develops grit: Strongly disagree

Posted July 24, 2015
This school's "mastery" policy gives the students no work ethic, nor discipline to get work done. They basically allow students to turn in homework whenever, and hash out passing grades regardless for credibility.

Posted February 12, 2015
This is our first year at CSA and we couldn't be happier. The parents are incredibly involved and so are the older kids with the younger kids. The teachers that I've come in touch with have all been amazing. My daughter was having a hard time transitioning in the mornings and her teacher figured out a clever way to engage her immediately so she wasn't sad when I left the classroom. I days we have had a sub she has let the sun know exactly what my daughters morning ritual is so there is no anxiety in my daughters part. The school focuses on the whole child and not simply academics. Although the testing results shows that they are leading in academics too. I couldn't be happier with our decision to send our daughter to this school of choice charter school. It has such a comforting "private school" feel with out the tuition that comes with a private school.
4 people found this helpful

Charyl Stockwell Academy - High School 4

Posted October 29, 2014
I just wanted to clarify that Charyl Stockwell Preparatory High School offers other foreign languages besides Spanish. You can take any on-line language class and the school pays for it. Also, they offer several AP classes with a passing rate of over 90% of those most students score a 4 or 5 on the AP Exam. Yes, we do lose some of the teachers that choose not to return the following school year, but that is because they were not the correct fit for CSPA and that charter schools are underfunded. Charter schools teachers do not receive a pension and some choose to return to a public school to obtain that pension. The teachers that continue with CSPA are dedicated to the hard work and to the students of CSPA. My children have been with CSPA since kindergarden and I would never think of going anywhere else.
6 people found this helpful

Posted October 28, 2014
I considered enrolling my children at the high school but learned course selection is limited (Spanish is only foreign language offered) there are no honors courses and the staff turnover is very high, which means AP courses are taught by inexperienced teachers. My friend pulled his children because they can't keep their good teachers.
9 people found this helpful

Posted April 24, 2014
My student said the word "lesbian" and was held in the office for hours. I wasn't aware that is a bad word? How unfortunate!
3 people found this helpful

Charyl Stockwell Academy - High School 4

Posted December 20, 2013
I'm a grandmother of a student at CSA. My own children went to a private school and then 1 eventually transferred to public high school (a big mistake since it was like party time all the time). My grandson is doing very well so far. I love the uniforms (easy and no issues getting dressed in the am and no competition at school). My only issue is not being on a public school schedule (especially the end of the year. End of school being in the middle of June is not ideal for our family as we have to take him out each and every year for a week. Public schools in the area are finished by then. Personally, I don't like hte 1/2 day Fridays but I'm sure other parents are happy with it. Parents definitely have to be flexible. Although emails are addressed by staff quickly, notification re: parties, activities, etc. are not given very far in advance. I haven't heard issues with bullying (although I did when he went to public pre-K) and I am sure he would have mentioned it if he saw or was a victim of it. This is his 2nd year at CSA. So far, so good!
2 people found this helpful

Posted November 20, 2013
CSPA is an outstanding school. This in our children's first year at CSPA and we are very impressed with the school. We have two middle school students that previously attended a private school. The teachers and staff are wonderful and we appreciate the strong parent / teacher connection. Our children are thriving and taking advantage of the AP classes. We feel CSPA has a outstanding curriculum and philosophy. CSPA has strong leadership and high expectations from the teachers and the students. We feel very blessed to have our children in this type of learning environment. Note: No school is perfect and all schools have room for improvements.
2 people found this helpful

1021 Karl Greimel, Brighton, MI  48116
Last modified Charyl Stockwell Academy - High School is a Charter school that serves grades 6-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Charyl Stockwell Academy - High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 46 reviews. Top