Atherton High School

Public | 9-12 & ungraded | 282 students

Posted September 2, 2013

Atherton High school is an atmosphere that you'll never forget. Everyone's such a big family. You know everything about everyone and everyone sincerely cares about how you are doing and try to help you in the best way possible. Anyone looking for a school in the burton area, I recommend Atherton for you or your child. Yes there are bigger schools with more money and everything, but Atherton has one thing that those schools don't have. A feeling when you walk in the doors of the High school that you are family. You are another wolverine, whether you just got there or have been there since kindergarten. I am incredibly sad that I have to move schools after attending Atherton since 1st grade(I'm now in 10th) and hope that anyone who gets the opportunity to attend Atherton loves it here just as much as I do. Go wolverines! By the way, I reccomend any band students from previous schools to definitely join band at Atherton. The band director Mr.Cutting is amazing.

Posted October 12, 2010

Atherton High School is a small community school that has a big heart. Our teachers know all the students by name and really care about our kids.

Posted June 8, 2006

I was a student for two years at Atherton, and now that I'm about to leave I am going to miss it. At times (in certain classes only) I don't feel they always challenged us enough and poor grades are just a result from laziness but the teachers are wonderful. Having attended large public schools in the past, it was nice being a part of a big family. For the most part, the teaching is excellent (except for the few classes that I mentioned above) and the teachers are always patient and even dedicate their time after school, sometimes even their lunch. I will greatly miss Atherton.

Posted June 7, 2006

I have been going to this school for about 2 yrs now it has a great tight-knit community but lacks the money for needed material. The teachers try hard to work with what they have but overall is behind most other schools and has a very high drop out rate. I am also about to go to a new school and I am behind because atherton does not let freshman take history classes in which my new school requires 4 yrs.

Posted March 2, 2005

Small schools like Atherton has definite advantages. Students are not a number, and they have a real connection with the teachers and administrators as they move from building to building. I believe the Atherton Staff & Administration along with the Board of Education do a good job in providing as many 'Elective' Classes as possible and extra curricular activies also. My children have benefited from the small school environment and I would gladly recommend the district to all.

Posted January 30, 2005

I am an Atherton teacher. I am one of the few that work with students in grades 4 through 12. I have the unique opportunity to see the school from a vantage point of employee and district resident and voter. Our district is not without it's problems. Most of them stem from the lack of funding from the state and federal goverments. I appreciate the size of our district. This allows for unique and special relationships with parents students and staff. I have great respect for what the teachers are accomplishing and even greater respect for the students who work so hard and keep trying in the face of adversity. We have real winners in all disciplines from fine arts to sports and we can be equally proud of all.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted January 19, 2005

This school is horrible. I had four kids that went here and I pulled them all out. One of my children had faced a massive bullying problem and went to the princliple and counciler numerous times. They wanted to know what kids were doing this so that they could 'take care of the problem', and during the whole ordeal, they kept saying what a 'valuble asset' my chilren were. They are also begining to face overcrowding issues, and do not have enough supplies for the students (text books). The staff is very un-cooporative.

Posted August 11, 2004

I am a student at Atherton and I love going there. I have been in the district since the second grade and now I'm going to be in 9th grade. I love how they teach things at just the right speed and I love knowing most of the middle and high schoolers. The theachers are very nice and helpful. I have formed close relationships with a lot of students and teachers. I feel like I go to school to see my family. I'd give my school 5 stars easily.

Posted March 4, 2004

I love going to Atherton High School I know everyone that goes there and I love knowing that if I ever need something I can go to a teacher or the office staff and they will help!

Grade level

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 26% in 2014.

89 students were tested at this school in 2014.

2014

Scale: % proficient or advanced

Source: Michigan Department of Education

Math

The state average for Math was 29% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 53% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 26% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 38% in 2013.

68 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 50% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Michigan used the Michigan Merit Examination (MME) to assess students in grade 11 in reading, writing, math, science and social studies. The MME is a standards-based test, which measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Michigan. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Beginning in the 2011-2012 school year, the Michigan State Board of Education implemented new definitions of what it means to be proficient on the MME test. In addition, they have recalculated past years' results using these new standards for proficiency, making the above year-over-year results comparable.

Source: Michigan Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
College readiness rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

College readiness rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

ACT participation

Average ACT score

Graduation rate

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 MEAP results from the state of Michigan.

2 This rating is based on composite ACT scores from 2012-13 and four-year adjusted graduation rates from 2011-12. ACT participation represents the percentage of 11th graders taking the ACT. Because the ACT is mandated in Michigan high schools, ACT participation is NOT included in the GreatSchools rating.

African-American 22% 18%

Source: MI Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

• Mrs. Jamie Johnston
Fax number
  • (810) 591-9180

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Special education