Burton, MI

Atherton High School 5

Posted August 09, 2015
A lot of this information is false. First, we are no longer a high school, we serve 7-12 grade and are considered a Jr/Sr High. We are also changing principals this year. Programs wise, we have Workshop, Spanish, Sign Language, Health, Gym, Technology, Art, Band, and Choir. Our band and choir programs are wonderful and the director is amazing. Sport wise, we have football, powderpuff, bowling, basketball, softball, track. We also have 21st century after school programming and tutoring. The teachers are always able to help and dedicate more of their time than most students care about. Club wise, we have a robotics team, key club, green team, and SLS. (Which I would push everyone to join. ), plus a bunch of other clubs following 21st century. We also offer classes at the career center. We also have AP classes and other great things, including online courses and credit recovery during the summer. The test scores are mainly pure laziness. The teachers work their hardest but the students do not. Just this year we had a student go on a full ride to Yale, and countless others graduating with high GPAs. This school is really great, and I don't think that test scores should be what gives it such a low score.

Develops grit: Agree

Posted August 09, 2015
I have been to much higher rated schools and never have I ever been in a school where I felt like they really wanted me to succeed. They all work together to bring students the best possible courses for their present and future.

Develops respect: Agree

Posted August 09, 2015
We follow the Golden Rule. If you give respect to the teachers, you will gain respect.

Develops empathy: Agree

Posted August 09, 2015
This school honestly shows that they care about their students. They listen when you are having issues and try to find the best way possible to help.

Posted September 02, 2013
Atherton High school is an atmosphere that you'll never forget. Everyone's such a big family. You know everything about everyone and everyone sincerely cares about how you are doing and try to help you in the best way possible. Anyone looking for a school in the burton area, I recommend Atherton for you or your child. Yes there are bigger schools with more money and everything, but Atherton has one thing that those schools don't have. A feeling when you walk in the doors of the High school that you are family. You are another wolverine, whether you just got there or have been there since kindergarten. I am incredibly sad that I have to move schools after attending Atherton since 1st grade(I'm now in 10th) and hope that anyone who gets the opportunity to attend Atherton loves it here just as much as I do. Go wolverines! By the way, I reccomend any band students from previous schools to definitely join band at Atherton. The band director Mr.Cutting is amazing.

Posted October 12, 2010
Atherton High School is a small community school that has a big heart. Our teachers know all the students by name and really care about our kids.

Posted June 08, 2006
I was a student for two years at Atherton, and now that I'm about to leave I am going to miss it. At times (in certain classes only) I don't feel they always challenged us enough and poor grades are just a result from laziness but the teachers are wonderful. Having attended large public schools in the past, it was nice being a part of a big family. For the most part, the teaching is excellent (except for the few classes that I mentioned above) and the teachers are always patient and even dedicate their time after school, sometimes even their lunch. I will greatly miss Atherton.

Atherton High School 2

Posted June 07, 2006
I have been going to this school for about 2 yrs now it has a great tight-knit community but lacks the money for needed material. The teachers try hard to work with what they have but overall is behind most other schools and has a very high drop out rate. I am also about to go to a new school and I am behind because atherton does not let freshman take history classes in which my new school requires 4 yrs.

Posted March 02, 2005
Small schools like Atherton has definite advantages. Students are not a number, and they have a real connection with the teachers and administrators as they move from building to building. I believe the Atherton Staff & Administration along with the Board of Education do a good job in providing as many 'Elective' Classes as possible and extra curricular activies also. My children have benefited from the small school environment and I would gladly recommend the district to all.

Posted January 30, 2005
I am an Atherton teacher. I am one of the few that work with students in grades 4 through 12. I have the unique opportunity to see the school from a vantage point of employee and district resident and voter. Our district is not without it's problems. Most of them stem from the lack of funding from the state and federal goverments. I appreciate the size of our district. This allows for unique and special relationships with parents students and staff. I have great respect for what the teachers are accomplishing and even greater respect for the students who work so hard and keep trying in the face of adversity. We have real winners in all disciplines from fine arts to sports and we can be equally proud of all.

3354 South Genesee Road, Burton, MI  48519
Last modified Atherton High School is a Public school that serves grades 7-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Atherton High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 24 reviews. Top