PK-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Too much (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Staff member (1 response)

Genesee Christian School 1

Posted August 13, 2016
It was an awful school. The kids there would treat you terribly if you were different in any sort of way. If your child doesn't play sports just know he/she is an all together outcast. A majority of the teachers were overly judgemental hypocrites. Also I noticed if you didn't understand something they would treat you as if you were stupid. The dress code is sexist and overly strict... Let's think logically here, the guys must wear khaki pants, and the high school has no air conditioning and it get ridiculously hot there in the early fall days. Heaven forbid a girl show her shoulder because they guy might be sexually attracted to her/ her shoulder. Etc The curriculum is confusing and definitely not for everyone. Security system is a joke. It makes me embarrassed as a Christian that others judge our religion off of these people. The vice principal is one of the only good things I say the school has.

Genesee Christian School
Grateful to: Staff member

Posted August 13, 2016
I feel great full to the vice principal Mrs. Major for being genuine and understanding even if you were different and unlike the other students. I want to thank her for being truly kind and having a respect for me.

Posted January 30, 2015
First Post of 4... I believe one thing that has always been horribly misunderstood about GCS is when it comes to the rules and mistaking that for horrible morals or legalism. GCS plainly states on their website, GCS supports Christian families from many local churches while maintaining a distinctively conservative doctrinal approach. The key phrase is the last part of that sentence . distinctively conservative doctrinal approach. Ok, so it is plain, clear as day, on their website for all parents to see and read. They also provide a pdf of the Dress Code and standards/guidelines they have set in place to uphold the statement, distinctively conservative doctrinal approach. So what I cannot understand, are parents who write or say things negatively about the school. Mostly about how they don t agree with this or that and yet all you have to do is read?

Genesee Christian School 2

Posted August 11, 2014
Our children have been attending GCS for two years now. We have been so disappointed in just about everything. The religious non-sense that has nothing to do with real life. The bullying that goes on is horrible. The dress code, that again, is not real life. We came here hoping our children would receive a good education while also, building a strong biblical foundation. It has been a bunch of religious rules. People caught up in ideas that have nothing to do with having a relationship with Christ, let alone a solid education. They actually try to tell you what you are and are not allowed to listen to in your own vehicle while on school grounds. My oldest daughter was pulled out of class so many times for not dressing to code. Absurd things, like too much of her shoulder was showing, or too much of her back was exposed through the crocheted design on the back of her shirt. This is NOT Christian education. This is a sad and twisted representation of who Jesus is. Where is the joy and love of Christ? Sadly, I could not recommend this school to anyone. John the Baptist wouldn't have passed their religious rules and regulations and would have been turned away.

Posted April 29, 2014
I attended GCS and graduated in 1993; the education I received was fantastic. But more importantly, the biblical approach to all subjects and life was what I really appreciated. I am still in contact with most of my teachers and I love them all dearly. I am thankful my parents sacrificed to send me.

Posted January 04, 2013
My son is a new student this year. I cannot say enough wonder things about the staff and administration at this school. The homework and classes are very intense and there are high expectations of all students in their learning and walk of faith. If a solid Christ centered education is what you are looking for, I highly recommend Genesee Christian.

Genesee Christian School 1

Posted February 19, 2012
Genesee Christian was a terrible experience, far from pleasant . I came to the US with my family from Mexico and attended 2nd grade through 7th. I experienced many humiliations while attending this school. I was different from everyone, and NO ONE in the school system reached out to make me feel comfortable. I was shy and reserved compared to the other kids. It seemed everyone was stuck in this weird persona of being outgoing, into sports, and "perfect". or else you were an outcast. No one knew how to deal with different personalities, absolutely no cultural competence. It literally felt like being trapped in a box full of clones.Thank God my parent's pulled me out after I had literally no friends or faculty I could rely on and fully developed social anxiety. I began attending Grand Blanc public schools and was exposed to different personalities, thoughts, experiences, and beliefs that helped me compare myself and find who I am. I made friends and had people I could relate to that helped me cope with my anxiety, I was accepted for being me. The public school system prepared me far better for the real world than this school.

Posted June 12, 2011
We've had our son enrolled for the past two years and have loved the school!

Genesee Christian School 4

Posted June 06, 2011
I am trying to remember the name of my first grade teacher I had. My friends and I were talking about stories from elementary and I could not remember the name of my first grade teacher. I graduated in '09, so I guess I was in first grade during 1998. Can someone please help me?! Thank you so much in advance, this is really bothering me that I cannot remember.

Posted June 01, 2010
My son has attended GCS for three years (since Kindergarten) and will be returning next year. The academic programs here are outstanding, and the teaching staff is very engaged. As a result, my son is farther ahead than his public school counterparts. I am thrilled that we chose this school, which has been instrumental in helping me develop a child who is bright, inquisitive, and compassionate. It was important to me to have my child attend a christian school to support the morals and integrity we try to instill in him, and to have like-minded people (both other families and the staff) to support those efforts.

Genesee Christian School
1223 South Belsay Road, Burton, MI  48509
Last modified Genesee Christian School is a Private school that serves grades PK-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.