Byron Center Charter School 1

Posted June 27, 2014
My child attended Byron Center Charter and I was not satisfied with how it turned out. The first couple years went fine but as of recently (2013-2014) a large majority of the teachers have become obsessed with power, rather then trying to teach and help students. I feel as though they are more worried about their popularity standings than they are in our childrens education. It saddens me but it seems to be this way. Unfortunately, I wouldn't recommend this school to anyone because I believe they are headed in a bad direction that isn't in favor of helping the future students. Unless they make major improvements, I do not suggest enrolling your student here.

Posted July 20, 2012
The Kindergarten teacher and assistant are outstanding. They show personal interest, and really care about each child's development. Principal is very nice, and very visible. Student to teacher ratio is outstanding.

Posted October 03, 2011
We brought our kids here after a few years of Public School issues of wanting a "Cookie Cutter" student. Overcrowded school didn't allow the teacher to give each child individual attention they need. Before coming to BCC my son was bullied by both students and teachers. He kept coming home depressed thinking he wasn't smart or was a "naughty" boy. And this was in lower level grade school. After transferring to BCC he absolutely loves school and has many friends! We have been VERY pleased with BCC as most of the teachers truly care and desire for each child to succeed to the best of their ability. They take the extra step toward helping the parent/child achieve that level. There are only 1 or 2 teachers there that I feel have a difficult time adjusting their teaching to vary depending upon the child's learning style but overall it is a GREAT school. They are now growing and each year will be adding a new class so their soon will be a choice of teachers for each grade level. I highly recommend this school!

Posted June 15, 2011
What I like best about Byron Center Charter School is the teachers. They really care about their students and put in the extra effort to teach them. The K-12 music program is lovely; the teacher/director inspires them so they look forward to playing instruments early on. The administration gives the teachers the space and freedom to teach from their strengths and character abounds. The students bond together and even my very quiet unassuming teenage boy is sought out and encouraged to interact by the others. We were new to the school this year, but chose it because my children's older cousins attend here (some have graduated) and they're so proud of BCCS. Their pride and pleasure in their school isn't based on a successful sports team or a particular academic emphasis. They're proud of their school because it's their extended family; the teachers/administration and other students encourage and support them. Plus this school feels safe. The principal & vice principal are out in the parking lot EVERY afternoon directing traffic and watching those kids like hawks, but still keeping it warm and friendly. Bullying, fighting, & bad language are simply not tolerated. How refreshing!

Posted May 23, 2011
Byron Center Charter is amazing. For a school of its size it truly is amazing. My son is in high school and just loves it. First off, the math teacher really knows her stuff. My son is always learning something and she knows most of it by heart. The English teacher is phenomenal, he has got my son to read books that are classics and he knows how to motivate. The history teacher is loved by everybody and makes learning fun. They have online classes available for students that want a new challenge. The principal is a good man who knows how to do his job which he is actively involved in. The Assistant Principal doesn't undermine the principal, he just loves what his boss does and wishes he could be like him one day.

Byron Center Charter School 0

Posted March 19, 2010
Problems with their administration. Principle is very nice and helpful but Asst. Principle under minds his authority and talks poorly about him behind his back. Some of the teachers have provisional teaching certificates. School has a great opportunity to be A+ but needs some overhauling.

Byron Center Charter School 4

Posted September 07, 2009
Our children enjoy the school after leaving a larger district school. One child has a few extra needs and BCCS has been ableto accomodate these without a 504 or IEP. Due to the size,this is possible Good teachers.Principal is kind and wonderful. Secondary leadership is very inexperienced and problematic when it comes to being a positive role model for youth. This is really our only complaint. Extra curricular activities would be more helpful. Lots of opportunity for feedback, which is nice. Office staff is VERY helpful and kind.

Byron Center Charter School 3

Posted June 30, 2009
My daughter attended another charter school in which I begged them to test her on her speech. The other charter insisted my daughter had no problems and that I was an over worried parent and that she would out grow her speech problem. After 4 years I left the school and brought my children to Byron Center Charter. After 3 days they called me up asking if they could help my daughter with her speech problem. Something i've been begging at another school for years. Byron Center charter found it in days. My only complaint with this school is that I wish their stage for concerts was in layers/steps so that you can see each child rather than everyone crowded on one stage. And that they had some kind of sports.

Posted April 17, 2009

Posted November 23, 2008
We have 2 children in this school, and have had nothing but good things to say. They are doing much better here than in indiana schools. The principal is awesome.

Byron Center Charter School
9930 Burlingame Ave Sw, Byron Center, MI  49315
Last modified Byron Center Charter School is a Charter school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Byron Center Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 12 reviews.