Posted October 06, 2014
Kids with adhd are completely left behind. The school will go through the 504 process, but then say the kid doesn't qualify for services. Principle and counselor are worthless and refused to listen to teacher's advice regarding services. Zero communication between parents and teachers when child is falling behind. New common core assessments are not allowed to be finished at home, but parent is not told assignment isn't even started until after due date when child can no longer recieve full credit. Only positive thing was when my son was bullied, bully was suspended.

Posted August 30, 2013
Good school, but if a child is being bullied, they give the bully umpteen million chances. There are no consequences for the bully that do any good. What about the No Bullying Policy? Why have it if they're not going to do anything about it? Extremely poor communication between teachers and parents. I have to work very hard to extract information and get flyers concerning anything going on at the school. I have almost begged the school to let me volunteer, but they don't want parents' help in the classroom.

Robert L. Nickels Intermediate School 4

Posted September 28, 2010
We have had a great couple of years at Nickels Intermediate. Loving teachers and great staff. I do understand about the the poor comunication. It is all on the teacher to get info out and there should be a better process. More web info would be great! Like forms and reminders sent out . It is a hard transition for a 5th grader because they are use to being Coddled at the Elem. level. The busing was the worst of the whole transition, if I could rate the busing for Byron I would give it one star. I feel the new Principal is a great Leader and has made some awesome changes to Nickels. We all have to be an advocate for our children, stay positive, give constructive criticism , and be involved.

Posted April 17, 2010
I am in full agreement with review by Parent. The new principal unfortunatly is not a leader and doesn't bring excitment to the school. In most of the state and country, 5th and 6th graders are still considered older elementary, but Nickels quickly throws them into the Middle School mentality. Byron Cener Schools is no longer reaching its potential. Also, no special functions such as Odyessey of the Minds or Science Olympiad.

Robert L. Nickels Intermediate School 3

Posted March 24, 2009
I love Byron Center Schools as a whole but Nickels is a different story. The parents are not keep in the loop of things with the children and the office staff is very Rude. They treat the children more like adults and have them call when they are sick or hurt instead of having the school call. I do not agree with this.

Posted October 28, 2008

Posted October 04, 2007

Posted August 21, 2005
Our son has experienced excellent teachers and staff (from the principle to the jantor)who invested in him academically and socially. They also kept us as parents informed as to our son's progress and issues. We were new to this area last year and when our son felt left out the teachers found a positive and construstive way to deal with it without drawing attention to our son or embarassing the other children. We were impressed. Academically they created an environment where our son was challenged and encouraged. He was honor role 3 out of 4 quarters. We always felt invited and welcome in our son's classes and I even volunteered in his room for awhile, until my work schedule would not allow it. We cannot say enough about the excellent education available at Nickels Intermediate School.

Robert L. Nickels Intermediate School
8638 Byron Center Avenue Southwest, Byron Center, MI  49315
Last modified Robert L. Nickels Intermediate School is a Public school that serves grades 4-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Robert L. Nickels Intermediate School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 8 reviews. Top