Byron Center, MI
Students enrolled: 1,055

Byron Center High School 2

Posted April 15, 2014
Byron kids are not the nicest, no. They're not always accepting, of course not. But it isn't worse than any other public school. Also, Byron still puts sports high up in the food chain. If you don't play sports at Byron, you don't really matter. Just show up on count day and everyone will pretend you matter for a day, but remember; they're only in it for the money. Oh, and all of these required classes? I understand math and social studies and English, but why gym? I have struggled through my high school schedule because every year is filled with required classes. I want to take classes that prepare me for my future in college and my future job. I can't take Psychology and Sociology and English (College Prep) or more AP classes because I've been busting my behind to fit these needed classes into my schedule (PE, health, art). Yes, the teachers here are great at teaching. Teachers always find a way to help you out. I think if Byron focused on college prep courses and their AP program more, the academics program would skyrocket here. You don't always have to live traditionally, Byron. Take a chance. Change. Prepare your students for college.

Posted April 01, 2014
Reading through previous comments, I would suggest much has changed in the past few years. Parents are very involved and most kids are so respectful. Sports programs are not higher on the food chain than academics. My kids joined the district about 4 years ago, and none have had problems fitting in. It is a fairly conservative area, but I wouldn't say "religious". I would say morals abound, and that is a good thing. Teachers and Administrators will not put up with bad behavior for the most part, and that is a good thing. If your child doesn't need a babysitter and is there to be prepped for college, this is a great school system. Expect to be involved as a parent.

Posted August 15, 2012
I graduated from BCHS and went off to the University of Michigan (UM), and I did not feel prepared at all compared to my peers at UM. Looking back, BCHS put far too much emphasis on sports and not nearly enough on science, math, and worthwhile literature. News flash, BCHS: none of your students are going to go off into the world and be professional athletes. They might go off and become scientists, doctors, and business people, however. Put the emphasis where it belongs in your curriculum.

Byron Center High School 4

Posted November 29, 2010
I DO NOT agree with the person who posted on september 22, 2009. That is a horrable review of Byron Center High School. It is a wonderful place. I know because I transferred in, and was the "new kid". All the other schools that I had attended isolated me in this position. At Byron, I found that many poeple approached me and said hello. I found lifelong friends there. Yes, there is alot of "cliques" in Byron Center High School, but Kentwood High and Wyoming High are ALOT WORSE. Also, Byron Center is NOT "conservative". I didn't feel pressured with religion or unreasonable rules and regulations. I currently go to a school in Sugar Land, Texas, and it has much more conservative/strict rules in place. I highly recommend this school.

Posted July 07, 2010
BC High School offers excellent academics and opportunities for students to take college credit in high School. Staff is top notch and willing to go above and beyond to help students! I am a teacher and have worked in other districts and would only choose Byron Center Public for my own children.

Byron Center High School 0

Posted September 22, 2009
Worst place I've ever been. When I got to college I was not prepared at all. The kids arent nice and its super cliquey. Super conservative and in a strange community. If I was a parent in Byron Center I would try very hard to send my child to another school nearby. Its worth it, they will have a much better experience in High School.

Posted May 25, 2009
The kids here were not very open here at all! My child was never comfortable here at all. He attended here his sophmore year and everyday would complain about how cliquey it was. He's a very social kid and usually always finds ways to get new friends, here he had some friends but they were in there cliques so he wasn't meeting a lot of kids. We're very thankful that our child is out and done with the school, he is now attending a school where he felt comfortable right away. This place is great if you have young kids, but not good for a new kid entering in High School.

Posted May 15, 2009
I was a student of the Byron Center Public schools since kindergarden. Throughout all four years of my schooling all the teachers were friendly and considerate, and more than willing to go the extra mile to help a student whether its schooling related or personal. It is because of this faculty that I am now in college, and flourishing in the classes that my peers complain about. The environment is very warm, and although it can be cliquey at times, if you open yourself up to the kids there, you will end up making life-long friendships.

Posted February 21, 2009
I was a new student to this school and I did not enjoy my experience here at all. It's very cliquey and just not that full of very nice kids. Sure there are nice kids, but not enough to make this a fun place. The teachers a pretty great, but if you have a kid who's social and new its not a great place for them. I am very social and love to have fun and talk, but there I was very quite. I tried, trust me I tried very hard to make friends. But they weren't very open to new friends at all.

Byron Center High School 0

Posted September 22, 2008
I would rate the teachers highly, but the leadership poorly. In fact, I have never had one email or phone call returned by either the principal or Mr. Gallop. I find the emphasis on sports of achedemics to be typical and disappointing. Byron Center has high parental involvement and strong family values. This is what makes the school system so strong and is why we chose the Byron Schools.

Byron Center High School
8500 Burlingame Avenue Southwest, Byron Center, MI  49315
Last modified Byron Center High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Byron Center High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top