Canton, MI

Posted March 16, 2015
This is my second child to go through Discovery, and things have not changed. I have a 6th grader who was physically assaulted and because my son pushed the child away to protect himself he was suspended for 3 days. My son is an honor roll student and has never been in an altercation. I find the principal does not bother to get involved with disciplinary actions and the assistant principal does not bother to look at both sides of an altercation. His immediate response is to suspend everyone for 3 days. Textbook. He is not there to protect his students just himself. There needs to be a change in administration fast!

Discovery Middle School 3

Posted October 12, 2013
Good school, but I hear about so many expulsions, detentions, and suspensions. There is drug use and alcohol that I hear about in the bathrooms, even for the sixth graders. Teachers make me feel uncomfortable and you have to choose your friends VERY wisely.

Posted June 06, 2013
I currently have a daughter in 7th grade at Discovery and my son graduated last year. I like the curriculum, the music program, and the willingness of the staff to work with you on assisting your child. The teachers and the principal are accessible via email and/or face to face visits. The principal is stern (in an old school way) letting the students know what behavior is expected. The only criticism is that diversity is lacking in cultural activities and teachers. However, the principal is attempting to address the diversity issues.

Posted June 17, 2011
Yah discovery I am a 7th grader there the school is clean nice it's an awesome school

Posted May 26, 2011
Worst middle school. The rules are ridiculous! If my child were to be beaten up, and my child tried to fight back, or even just block themselves, they'd be suspended. They give 'turning the other cheek' a whole new meaning! The principal isn't exactly mean, but he doesn't do anything. The assistant principal is a nightmare. My all A student had to text her father, just once, and she didn't want to go to the office, as the office workers have the largest attitudes imaginable (other than one, but they're not the one you talk to to get into the office). But anyway, the assistant principal suspended her, because rules are rules. I respect that it was a rule, but the way he conducted the suspension, like all other suspensions, was mean-spirited. The assistant principal also punishes everyone for one kid's mistake. As for the teachers, they are the reason I gave the school a 2 rather than a 1! Some may be harsh, but the majority are very nice. My child has learned more with the nicer teachers than with the strict ones. All in all, when my kid leaves discovery will be a very very good day. You're probably better off with Pioneer or Canton Charter.
2 people found this helpful

Posted March 19, 2010
Im leaving this year and I'm sooooooo sad about it!!!! It's a great school and the choir program is INCREDIBLE!! Forever Dulcissima Sisters

Posted January 08, 2010
Being a first year middle school parent, I was a little nervous about sending my daughter there. However, she ended up loving her school thanks to the inspiring teachers she has. She's discovered that she loves social studies due to the fact that she has an amazing social studies teacher who is younger but very knowledgeable and full of enthusiasm. The administration is great and the support staff is wonderful. I am very happy to see that my daughter is enjoying her middle school year so far!

Posted November 03, 2009
My son is on his second year at Discovery. I find it to be an exceptional learning experience. The school is extremely clean, and when we went to the open house everything was very well organized. I have been very pleased with all the Plymouth/ Canton schools. We should be very proud.

Posted May 20, 2009
I have mixed feelings about the school. Initially my child was very excited about going to middle school but now he hates it. There is so much, too much, homework. It makes no sense to have a child be in school all day and then have to come home and do 3 hours of homework 4-5 days a week. Also, the teachers seem more interested in covering the topic and not so interested in whether the students actually learns it.

Discovery Middle School 3

Posted September 16, 2008
About half the teachers seem to enjoy their job, while the other half seem disgruntled.

Discovery Middle School
45083 Hanford Road, Canton, MI  48187
Last modified Discovery Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Discovery Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 14 reviews. Top