Canton, MI

Posted July 29, 2015
Our daughter started going to Field Elementary in 2014 and is getting ready for the first grade there. I will be honest - I had my doubts about the school. I looked at various sources for information last year: the ratings and feedback were not that great. The school was rated at 7 out of 10 on this website and was listed as a "focus" school, which means that they were being monitored closely by the district for performance. We didn't get into any of the charter schools in the area (a lot of our friends' kids go there and I assumed that was the right choice, considering that neither myself nor my husband went to school in U.S.). We considered couple of private schools as well. This school was on the bottom of our list, but we decided to give it a try. Long story short - it was the right decision. The school has amazing and hardworking staff. It's all about open communication between the parents and the teachers. You want your kid to be challenged - communicate it to the teacher. Show up for parent/teacher conference. Occasionally stop by and chat with the teacher. From my observations, there were a lot of parents who felt that now that their kids are in school, it's all in the teacher's hand. No - it's a collaboration between the teachers and the parents. The lower ratings of this school are also due to the fact that there is a huge gap between the kids who do well and those who don't do well. Again, are the parents involved enough? Do they take time to go over the assignments at home? Yes, the building is a bit outdated and a private school, as an example, will probably have much more technology-advanced environment and newer facilities. The school got IPads last year and the kids had IPad assignments once a week. As a working mom, I have the opportunity to help from home, so again, it's all about your involvement and willingness to be involved in your kid's education. My daughter scored in the high 90th percentile in reading and math throughout the year and after each test, the teacher and I had the conversation about how we can challenge her more. The communications that the schools sends via email and phone are always very timely and I always know what to expect. I know my feedback is a bit disorganized, but I have so much to say :) Don't have doubts in this school, do your research, invest your time in your kids, communicate :)

Posted March 08, 2014
My son transfer to this school in 2013 and is currently in second grade. Since attending Field Elementary School his reading has greatly improved. My wife and I are very happy with this school.

Field Elementary School 4

Posted September 26, 2013
Love this school. Amazing teachers, supportive staff. Very concerned for student safety and achievement .

Field Elementary School

Posted October 13, 2010
The school has a very inviting atmosphere. The teachers are interested in the students.

Posted March 01, 2010
Field school is an excellent school. All of my two children teacher are/were wonderful.

Posted February 15, 2010
I have three children, my youngest is still at Field in 5th grade. We have had a great experience there. All the teachers I have come in contact with there over the years have been wonderful. Even the office staff, kitchen people, and extended day staff I have dealt with over the years have been helpful and kind.

Posted December 09, 2009
I have to disagree with a lot of the reviews on here. The principal has always gotten back to me in a timley matter and has always treated my kids like they were wanted there and made them feel comfortable. All of the teachers my kids have had have really tuned in to who they are and have taught them a lot. I love Field.

Field Elementary School 2

Posted October 29, 2009
The principal has no interpersonal skills. He is rude and forgets who the taxpayer base is.

Field Elementary School 2

Posted July 17, 2009
So disappointed!!!! Had a child in 3rd grade and 1st. We were rezoned 2 years ago from Erickson to Field Elementary. Some of the teachers were excellent but overall I was disappointed. I have a College degree and have sub taught. Anyway, we are moving due to schooling (and taking a big loss on our house)!! Beware of buying a home with Field as its elementary!!!!

Field Elementary School 1

Posted March 25, 2009
I have been reading the past couple of posts and I absolutlely agree with the both of you. I have been so patient with the school and it has not gotten me anywhere. I am very disappointed with the school. If I could send my child somewhere else I would. My daughter is very quiet and well behaved and it has gotten us no where. The principal puts all concerns off on other people but really he is the one not doing his job.

Field Elementary School
1000 South Haggerty Road, Canton, MI  48188
Last modified Field Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Field Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 30 reviews. Top