Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Effective (1 response)

Hulsing Elementary School 1

Posted May 13, 2016
My son, a kindergartner, was lost in the shuffle. The teacher left him with an attendant. The attendant left him with the secretary. The secretary put him on a school bus (unaware that he should have been in the aftercare program.) When I arrived the teacher was gone. Another teacher said he was picked up. The secretary solved the mystery but was completely apathetic. I scheduled a meeting with the principal; and he was defensive. Ultimately a plan was put in place to avoid this from happening again but unfortunately he was left in the school during recess along with another student a few weeks later. Each time he was safe but regardless of the rhetoric and promises I could no longer risk leaving my child in Hulsing's care.

Teacher effectiveness: Effective

Posted May 13, 2016
I received great reports from the start about my child's ability to grasp concepts and his citizenship. I was concerned though that he was not being challenged or prepared for the next grade-level when it came to reading. However, once I talked to his teacher about this, in the beginning of the 2nd semester, things changed and his reading ability improved significantly.

Develops empathy: Disagree

Posted May 13, 2016
I do not believe this is a practice of the school. Some of the office staff seemed bothered by the students and in general pretty apathetic.

Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted May 13, 2016
There was an incident where 3 students kicked and pushed another student. The principal stated it was not bullying because the 3 students were good kids. The principal's view of bullying did not align with the districts definition; and it is not fair to allow bullying to take place simply because you favor the aggressors. I can't imagine a principal can teach/develop fairness within the school without practicing it

Posted October 10, 2013
Very happy with this school. The teachers that my daughter has had in the three years attending have done very well with her. She is advanced for her age and each teacher approached that with care, making sure she was challenged, motivated and recognized for her achievements. Taking time to educate an advanced student and take the time to make sure that their learning environment is challenging and interesting is just as important as tending to students who are struggling. I recommend this school for this reason, as well as safety, kind and involved principal, and the location is wonderful. It's nestled into the subdivision, away from the main roads. Great place to learn!!!!

Posted December 27, 2012
My son attends this school, and I am pleased with his experience there so far. His teacher, Ms. Jenkins is wonderful, along with the principal, Mr. Johnson. The curriculum seems to be advanced, and the extra activities are great for the students.

Posted February 23, 2012
My child in currently enrolled at Hulsing in the 2nd grade. We have never seen such a caring and family atmosphere as we have seen at Husling. Teacher is calls are e-mails quickly with answers to any of my concerns. She has a structured classroom yet is like a mom, compassiontate and understandig. Sheis able to reach all types of learners. The rest of the staff seems to have a "family atmosphere. Thank you Plymouth Canton for the staff at Hulsing

Posted August 08, 2011
My son attended Hulsing and had a great start for his school experience. He loved his teachers and the extra after school activities. I found his teachers to be very dedicated and caring. The parents for the most part are involved in the school and after school activities. The PTG is very active and welcomes parent support and involvement. This is one of the smaller schools and has a close knit community feel which we really liked. There is support for students who need extra help in academics, speech, learning english, and special education. The MEAP scores are higher than the state and usually the district, too. Great school!

Hulsing Elementary School 4

Posted November 15, 2010
I'm confused about the October 27, 2010 review. Both my son and daughter went to preschool there and they DID learn about the different holidays, including Hannukah and Kwanza. They both went to the Plus program, the one you pay for. I wonder if things have changed in the past two years for the preschool? They now both go to the school (1st and 4th grade) and I know they definitely learn about different cultures' holiday celebrations. I like the school. I know a lot of the teachers and they really seem to care about the students. My daughter has a new teacher, Ms. Medley, and she is GREAT! Very structured, disciplined and NICE. I've liked every teacher the kids' have had and the principal is great, too. Very hands on and in touch with what's going on at the school. I've talked to her on numerous occasions and she is approachable and involved.

Hulsing Elementary School 1

Posted October 27, 2010
My son goes to the preschool here and I am very saddened by the lack of diversity and culture education. The preschool program does not believe in celebrating or educating children on any holidays at all. Students can not read a book about Kwanza or send valentines to one another or experience any other tradition based on a holiday. This lack of attention to helping children learn about different cultures and beliefs does not help build acceptance or empathy in others. When asking the director or principal they are very set that it does not belong in school and will not even discuss it. Teachers are also blaming lack of a contract on reasons why they do not attend after school functions or hold parties in their classrooms. It is not a fun place to go to preschool- pick another school.

8055 Fleet Street, Canton, MI  48187
Last modified Hulsing Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.