Canton, MI

Posted October 10, 2013
Very happy with this school. The teachers that my daughter has had in the three years attending have done very well with her. She is advanced for her age and each teacher approached that with care, making sure she was challenged, motivated and recognized for her achievements. Taking time to educate an advanced student and take the time to make sure that their learning environment is challenging and interesting is just as important as tending to students who are struggling. I recommend this school for this reason, as well as safety, kind and involved principal, and the location is wonderful. It's nestled into the subdivision, away from the main roads. Great place to learn!!!!

Posted December 27, 2012
My son attends this school, and I am pleased with his experience there so far. His teacher, Ms. Jenkins is wonderful, along with the principal, Mr. Johnson. The curriculum seems to be advanced, and the extra activities are great for the students.

Posted February 23, 2012
My child in currently enrolled at Hulsing in the 2nd grade. We have never seen such a caring and family atmosphere as we have seen at Husling. Teacher is calls are e-mails quickly with answers to any of my concerns. She has a structured classroom yet is like a mom, compassiontate and understandig. Sheis able to reach all types of learners. The rest of the staff seems to have a "family atmosphere. Thank you Plymouth Canton for the staff at Hulsing

Posted August 08, 2011
My son attended Hulsing and had a great start for his school experience. He loved his teachers and the extra after school activities. I found his teachers to be very dedicated and caring. The parents for the most part are involved in the school and after school activities. The PTG is very active and welcomes parent support and involvement. This is one of the smaller schools and has a close knit community feel which we really liked. There is support for students who need extra help in academics, speech, learning english, and special education. The MEAP scores are higher than the state and usually the district, too. Great school!

Hulsing Elementary School 4

Posted November 15, 2010
I'm confused about the October 27, 2010 review. Both my son and daughter went to preschool there and they DID learn about the different holidays, including Hannukah and Kwanza. They both went to the Plus program, the one you pay for. I wonder if things have changed in the past two years for the preschool? They now both go to the school (1st and 4th grade) and I know they definitely learn about different cultures' holiday celebrations. I like the school. I know a lot of the teachers and they really seem to care about the students. My daughter has a new teacher, Ms. Medley, and she is GREAT! Very structured, disciplined and NICE. I've liked every teacher the kids' have had and the principal is great, too. Very hands on and in touch with what's going on at the school. I've talked to her on numerous occasions and she is approachable and involved.

Hulsing Elementary School 1

Posted October 27, 2010
My son goes to the preschool here and I am very saddened by the lack of diversity and culture education. The preschool program does not believe in celebrating or educating children on any holidays at all. Students can not read a book about Kwanza or send valentines to one another or experience any other tradition based on a holiday. This lack of attention to helping children learn about different cultures and beliefs does not help build acceptance or empathy in others. When asking the director or principal they are very set that it does not belong in school and will not even discuss it. Teachers are also blaming lack of a contract on reasons why they do not attend after school functions or hold parties in their classrooms. It is not a fun place to go to preschool- pick another school.

Hulsing Elementary School

Posted March 24, 2010
My Kid went to preschool here. she liked this school very much. And her teacher is very good.

Hulsing Elementary School 2

Posted March 02, 2010
The teachers are caring, but the educational material is awful. As a result we have to spend money on Sylvan. Speaking to the principal is a waste of time as she is not much more than a bureaucrat; you may as well be speaking with the school attorney. Would have given less than two stars if not for the efforts of the teachers.

Hulsing Elementary School 2

Posted February 18, 2009
I currently have two kids at Hulsing, and my oldest spent 2nd - 5th there. I completely agree with the Jan 6, 2009 post by another parent. I have also received some phone calls and notes home over the most trivial things. The principal at this school has instituted some crazy rules, such as no talking while waiting in bus line at the end of the day. My son has gotten in trouble several times, even forced to miss recess, because he was talking too much during lunch. I volunteer at the school and have witnessed the yelling and nagging the kids receive during lunch and recess. The staff and students are all walking on egg shells. Not many parents want to participate in the PTG because of this principal. The class sizes are too big- 27 kids in Kindergarten this year, after they cut out one of the a.m. classes.

Hulsing Elementary School 3

Posted January 06, 2009
Overall, the school is great but I have several issues with the staff. They have called us several times regarding seriously unimportant issues and bother us for what I would consider to be no good reason. I don't know if this is due to too many parent complaints in the past regarding their children's care but I don't like them calling us all the time. Also, we have our daughter on a very strict diet and even though the teachers and staff have been well informed of this, they disregard our wishes and often appear to be confused about our frustration with them. To sum this up, I would go as far as to say that they don't know how to deal with children who are different than everyone else-children who need special care that is non-academic.

Hulsing Elementary School
8055 Fleet Street, Canton, MI  48187
Last modified Hulsing Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hulsing Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top