Ottawa Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 397 students

Posted November 21, 2013

Some of the school is disappointing. Most of the teachers seem to care, but there are a some who just go thru the motions. All the special teachers are outstanding. Unless you get one of the teachers who gives it their all, you end up at best with an teacher who's just there. This years Pto is disappointing. No Halloween Dance, No Chirstmas breakfest with Santa, No Valentine Pirate Dance and No end of the year Carnival( - last years Carnival was a blast!!!). What do we have a Pto for besides collecting money? The principal is very nice, but after you been here a couple of years; you can tell the schools on auto pilot. He is nice to all the kids though. I can see there being some good and bad reviews for this school - it's what your use to (the elementary school my son went to did so much more) and who your child gets as a teacher, which is the luck of the draw.

Posted January 31, 2013

Love, love Ottawa ! The staff is warm, friendly and so much like a family. Parents and teachers work together. The principal is excellent. He knows each family and has the best heart. My children feel safe there. They love their teachers... Present and former. The school is very small so everyone seems to know the students even if they are not assigned to their grade level.

Posted December 17, 2012

I have had 3 older children go through Ottawa and I currently have 2 more children still in Ottawa. I have to say that I am VERY disappointed by the negative reviews, but compared to the MANY positive reviews, I hope anyone who sees this will be able to tell that some people out there dont realize that the whole world doesnt stop because they walk in the room. To bash an entire school for someone not smiling or being friendly enough to you is just ridiculous! Mr Lockhart, the principal, knows every child by name and genuinely cares about them! He still knows the names of my children who arent there anymore. THAT is what I want in a principal! I have been blessed to have children go through Mrs. Kiley, Mr. Everett, Mrs Meeusen, Mrs Nosakowski, Ms Martin, Mrs Moro, Mrs Brennan, Mrs Digiglio and Mr Hughes. The specials teachers are also amazing. The clubs held after school for academic and fun are awesome! Mrs King, Mrs Pearson, Mrs Perkins are wonderful! Mrs Sobah and Mrs Jayroe are awesome and so friendly (sec/clerk who everyone complained has since retired)! Mrs Hobert is so cheerful and positive. I love this school and am so thankful that we landed here! I love and adore you all!

Posted January 20, 2012

My daughter attended Ottawa. At fist I was excited about the school then as the year went on I realized I was getting no help from the staff. My daughter is very gifted and I have talked to her teachers and the principal about ways to stimulate and keep her motivated. They were willing to give her extra work but could not provide much past that. The test scores show this school does the minimal for the kids. Not impressed.

Posted September 6, 2011

My daughter attends Ottawa. We moved just out of district recently, but I am keeping her at Ottawa. Why? For a number of reasons: Smaller school building, AWESOME (did i say awesome? let me say it again..awesome) principal, who knows all of the kids very well. The teachers, for the most part, are very communicative with parents (again, parents NEED to be involved...don't put it all on the teachers). The nurse and social worker are very helpful and caring. The PTO always has fundraisers and after school events for the kids (dances, end of year carnival, breakfast for moms/dads, book fairs, etc). The only negative is the office staff. There is one woman who just sits at her desk all day. You can be the only one in the room, but she still won't acknowledge you. The other staff members are nice. Ottawa also offers, free of charge, a homework club that meets 3 days out of the week, for an hour after school, to help kids catch up with work. My daughter is more productive in this club than she would be at home, so I love it! Excellent School!!! The art/gym/music teachers are excellent, as well.

Posted September 6, 2011

This is an excellent school, , all of our children have attended ottawa. , Our son is currently attending. The principal is wonderful I love how he knows all the children by name. The teachers are truly dedicated an care about there students. We loved the school so much that when we moved we got an in district transfer so he could continue going. The staff at ottawa truly are careing people an our children are their main concern. I wouldn't change anything they are truly dedicated....

Posted May 23, 2011

This is a very caring school. The students are wonderful. They love their teachers and they know that all the staff knows them, and that is a safe place to go. Learning in number one. I am sorry there are parents writing in who apparently have grudges. There is always a few who spoil it for others. But if you come to Ottawa you will see first hand which parents are angry and bitter. Many, many of our parents, and PTO members are welcoming and friendly with all the kids. No matter the social economic class. They even have funds to help the children who need assistance. We have a few bad apples,who think that they don't have to follow rules. Rules are made to keep our students safe. Teachers make rules because they have to consider everychild in thier room -- no just the ones who can pay the teacher off

Posted May 10, 2011

The school academic wise is ok for a public school. My child is considered gifted so the down side is she spends so much of her time helping others instead of being challenged. The PTO group is not worth joining. It is very "she said, she said" typical clique and maybe that's the problem? Professionalism needs improvement as I do feel that when a visitor enters the office that they shouldn't have to wait for the secretary to stop gossipping before being helped. This has happened several times this year. Classroom communication between parent /teacher needs improvement. More parent/teacher conferences should be scheduled.

Posted May 10, 2011

As a former teacher at Ottawa, I can honestly say that the principal and staff are highly dedicated people who care about their students so much that their own families often have to suffer. They should not be judged by how many extracurricular activities they attend, but by how happy and safe their students feel with an excitement for learning and an appreciation of success. When a student needs support, a service is provided. This staff has helped to provide food, clothing, and supplies to families that are in need with their own personal money. To say this staff is detached or uncaring is false! The parents, PTO, and staff have always been supportive of each other. It would be easy to name those few parents who wrote the negative reviews and continue to be critical of those things that were voted on and passed by the majority. What a shame that they are only hurting their own school! Ottawa is often referred to as the "Ottawa Family" for a reason, and the people working there are there because they want to be there. They form long-lasting friendships with the community, and many former students have brought back their own children to experience this great place to learn.

Posted May 8, 2011

I have had two children attend Ottawa. I feel that the staff provides an excellent opportunity for learning. Since it is one of the smaller elementary schools, the staff and families there.

Posted April 29, 2011

I love Ottawa. It has a great sense of communtity. Teachers are caring and do go over and beyond their role as "teacher". Parents who are involved in their child's education, are a welcome part of the Ottawa team. Students feel loved at Ottawa. They know the staff cares for them. The office, the lunchroom moms and all the extra teaching staff -- care about the children. It's a place where you would love your children to be a part of.

Posted April 27, 2011

My son has attended Ottawa since kindergarten and is now a 5th grader preparing to attend Algonquin middle school next year. I am also a parent of a 28 year old and a 26 year old, who both attended Utica schools. I have never "requested" a teacher for my child and I have never been disappointed with any of his teachers. In fact, each teacher has had a positive effect on my son, that I know he will carry with him for the rest of his life. The teachers attend many of the after school events, including the PTO meetings. Every single one of the teachers is a caring professional, truly interested in the success of each student. The members of the office staff are welcoming and helpful every time I have called or visited the office. There are simply not enough words to praise the principal. His committment and dedication to the school, staff, teachers, and every single student is remarkable. It is a true pleasure to see someone who loves their job so much, especially when it involves my child. The school itself is decorated with the students' work throughout the hallways, has state of the art equipment for the students, and is simply the best elementary school there is.

Posted April 27, 2011

Ottawa is a great place to work. I've had the opportunity to learn from veteran teachers with years of experience, as well as newer teachers with tremendous enthusiasm. A supportive principal and involved parent organization make each day a memorable experience. The students at Ottawa are amazing!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 25, 2011

I COULD NOT SAY ENOUGHT ABOUT OTTAWA AND IT'S STAFF. THEY ARE THE MOST CARING GROUP OF PEOPLE. MY CHILDREN LOVE GOING TO SCHOOL. OTTAWA OFFERS A GREAT DEAL OF HELP FOR ANY CHILD THAT NEEDS IT. THEY HAVE HOMEWORK CLUB 4 DAYS A WEEK WITH PARENTS AND TEACHERS WHO ARE DEDICATED TO HELPING THE KIDS. I AM AT THE SCHOOL A LOT AND I HAVE NEVER SEEN THE LACK OF DISRESPECT THE KIDS SHOW THEIR TEACHERS. MAYBE IF RESPECT WAS TAUGHT MORE AT HOME? (JUST SAYING) MR LOCKHART IS A GREAT PRINCIPAL AND A GREAT ROLL MODEL. HE WORKS HARD TO KEEP OUR SCHOOL UP TO DATE WITH THE NEWEST TECHNOLOGY. HE KNOWS ALL OF HIS KIDS BY THEIR FIRST NAME! PRETTY IMPRESSIVE. THE PTO NEEDS PARENTS THAT ARE CAPABLE OF WORKING TOGETHER NOT AGAINST EACH OTHER STOP BASHING GREAT PEOPLE CAUSE YOU DIDN'T GET YOUR WAY.

Posted April 25, 2011

My kids love going to school! We have had only positive experiences with the teachers and staff. You can tell the principal loves his job. He has a genunie interest in each child there. No matter what their home life is like, wants them to have Ottawa be the best part of their day. The teachers and staff work as a team. In fact, there are teachers with 10 plus years in the district who wanted to transfer to Ottawa to teach. I have been a PTO VOLUNTEER. There are a few passive aggressive cowardly bullies that do not want to work for the betterment of Ottawa. They have their own agenda, have spent money frivolously, cause problems if they do not get their own way, and bring only negativity to the PTO meetings.Positive people need to keep attending. Things need to change. More people who really care need to get involved. If you are a new parent, or currently have a child at Ottawa, please consider attending a PTO meeting, volunteer in the classroom, come into the school and watch the morning announcements. Make up your own mind about Ottawa. See for yourself all the positive things that are going on. As for those that are unhappy, there is always school of choice.

Posted April 25, 2011

Ottawa is a WONDERFUL school!! I am so happy that my child is here! The principal is amazing! He knows all the kids names and is always involved throughout the school. My child LOVES her teachers! They always make me feel welcome. The hallways are very colorful and have tons of student artwork all over them. It just is a very nice small school with people who really care. I can't wait until both my children will be here! I have had all positive experiences with the PTO. There is a small group of parents who just seem unhappy about everything. If they don't get their way, then they don't want to help make an event a success! PLEASE disregard those reviews because I really don't think that represents Ottawa at all. As for teachers only there for a paycheck, I highly disagree. There has been teachers at every PTO meeting that I have attended. Teahcers help out at homework club which is held 4 days a week. Teachers help out with Science Olympiad and Art club, just to name a few. They come to many events held after school, but I am realistic and know that they also have the demands of their own families and can't always attend an Ottawa event.

Posted April 25, 2011

I am a teacher at Ottawa Elementary and I am very pleased and honored to see such wonderful reviews posted for our school. Unfortunately, I am very distressed and frankly, mortified, at two of the other reviews. First of all, if teachers worked only for a paycheck, I can assure you we would not be in the teaching profession. Our day begins way before the students arrive and ends way after the students leave. We are working late into the evening grading papers and planning our lessons. These activities do not simply stop as soon as the children leave. I do not have the space to even go into how much of this work falls into the weekend. I do not have the space to explain how many activities I can not do with my own family to make sure all my school work gets done. I am not only speaking for myself, but for the entire staff at Ottawa. Despite all the extra hours and time that we put into this job, we are all back at school the next day eager and excited to do what we do. I am very proud to be a teacher at Ottawa and I know that every single staff member at our school is certainly not there for the "paycheck". We are there because of our love and passion in educating children.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 22, 2011

I could not disagree more with the parent who posted the comments about Ottawa staff only being there for a paycheck. First, for the few years that my child has been at the school the teachers have done nothing but be more than willing to help during school, after school, meet me with, talk on the phone, or provide extra guidance when needed. Not only the teachers but the office staff is ALWAYS willing to go the extra step to help out where needed and ensure that the children at Ottawa get the best education they can. I hold Ottawa in very high regards and would recommend the school to anyone. The principal knows the kids in the school by name not just a "hey buddy" - but their name. He is always out at recess, walking around the school and making sure what needs to be done is getting done. As for the PTO, they know times are hard and wallets are tight and STILL give our children as much as we can with the money that comes in. The group of parents that come to the meetings who want to trash talk really need to grow up and realize you are only harming your children along with the others in the school. Shame on you. OTTAWA IS A GREAT CHOICE FOR ANY FAMILY!

Posted April 22, 2011

I can t say enough positive things about Ottawa! The teachers and staff are awesome! There is not one teacher that I wouldn t want my children to have. They are all very accessible and ready and willing to help. One of my children was struggling in math so an Ottawa teacher tutored him during the summer on her own time and even followed up with me and his current teacher during the school year to see how he was doing. Mr. Lockhart is phenomenal! He has done many wonderful things for the school such as getting us our 21 Century classrooms and new playground equipment. He is very approachable and has an open door policy and makes you feel very comfortable coming to him with any concerns. The PTO works tirelessly to raise money so our children do not miss out on anything and have done a fabulous job! Let s face it, in this economy that s not an easy task. If you have any concerns about your children attending Ottawa, my suggestion is to go into the school and check it out for yourself that s what I did. I m sure you will agree that Ottawa is a great school!

Posted April 21, 2011

Ottawa is a wonderful place, full of nurturing teachers and support staff. The atmosphere is warm and inviting. The principal makes an extra effort to know each student by name and establish relationships with parents. Every teacher my son and daughter have had has been first-rate. I feel blessed to live in such a wonderful community with a safe, caring and exemplary school.

Math

The state average for Math was 40% in 2014.

59 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

59 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2014.

62 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2014.

62 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 17% in 2014.

66 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Source: Michigan Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Reading growth at this school

Above average

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 MEAP results from the state of Michigan.

2 This rating is based on 2012-13 net growth (significant improvement/improvement - significant decrease/decrease) according to Performance Level Changes from the state of Michigan.

African-American 11% 18%

• (586) 723-6601

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Special education

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

18601 Millar Road