No rating

St. Thecla Catholic School

Private | PK-8 | 414 students

Living in Clinton Township

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $70,100. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $740.

Sweep tile

Posted April 11, 2014

St. Thecla is an excellent school! Not only are the academics strong, but the spiritual life is grounded in the Catholic faith and there is a great sense of community. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a Catholic school that is welcoming, strong academically, and truly Catholic.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 27, 2013

My family has been at St. Thecla for over 15 years. I have a couple years left and now have children in high school and college. School was not always easy for my children, but with the teacher's support they are doing incredibly well. There are so many wonderful, kind people at St. Thecla. I am grateful for the teachers there and how they have prepared my children for their futures.

Posted November 13, 2011

It is very unfortunate that St. Thecla continues to be run with the same arrogant attitude that "some students and parents are better than others". Rules are applied at the emotional whim of the current administration and favoritism rules supreme. The narrow mold of children St. Thecla caters to has the potential result of its demise. There is a total lack of Catholic Christian compassion on anyone who fit outside the narrow range the school desires to serve. Many have left and the problems that have driven them away are not being dealt with. It is easy to love a school when your children are the top and everything goes your way. However, if your child needs help, you will be bullied out of there by the current administration which finds it a bother to even follow its own handbook and rules. Unfortunately, many of those who are in denial of current problems and need for change are being used themselves to give glowing reviews of a troubled school.

Posted November 11, 2011

I have been a parent of this school for nine years and have loved everything about it. The teachers are top notch and care 100% for the students. Academically my kids have excelled in every subject and have always had extra help available to them. The students are rewarded in conduct as well as acedemics by being placed on a conduct honor roll. The principal always acts in the best interest of all students and insures all of them have a pleasant learning environment. In the past few years there have been problems with parents that can NOT accept that there kids are disipline problems. This is not the school for children or parents that refuse to accept the rules of the school. The students, teachers, and administration of the school are great. St Thecla church and school has been a great choice for my family!

Posted June 3, 2010

The academics are fine. It's the discipline that's horrible. The staff needs to calm down, and give the students some freedom. When we described our school, we described prison. Our school just made no sense. For example, a friend and I got written up for not folding our hands, They were sacrificial lambs. Also, you can't think for your self. As an example, during study hall, when we can usually work on whatever we want, some teachers force us to do what they want, like do THEIR assignments. We're trying to get everything we can done, they need to give us our freedom. If you don't think and act the exact way they want you to, you'll get in trouble. Also, some of the teachers in junior high are horrible teachers. They don't explain anything, and just blow you off. I only see the principal when she's disciplining someone..

Posted April 22, 2010

our school has a small town feeling which allows everyone to get to know one another. parents can be involved in many areas of their children's education...and that promotes accountability and personal responsibility among the children. also, the academics are driven towards higher learning and critical thinking.

Posted March 21, 2010

Academics are fine, but they all need to relax and let the kids have some freedom. They can't think for themselves, or they somehow get in trouble.
—Submitted by a student

Posted June 9, 2009

The great group of parents at St. Thecla work very hard both financially and in volunteering without the ability to have recourse in changing problems. Unfortunately administration is woefully inept and very resistant to new suggestions and ideas. The teaching of the children has been inconsistent at best. Educators range from stubborn and inflexible to top-drawer teacher of the year qualities. It is literally a joke among parents that the even grade are smooth running and good and the odd grades are unreasonable and difficult and need to be endured. The principal finds it a bother to try and met the needs of children when they are not helped by their current teachers. Therefore the school struggles to fulfill responsibilities to all its students. Flexible solutions are not found for the more academically challenged learners. Social justice of the Catholic Tradition is ignored and partiality rules, especially in the music program.

Posted June 16, 2008

I just recently graduated from this fine establishment. I find that this school has much to offer and has a great learning environment. The teachers are always there to help and exceed excellence. St.Thecla is basically a fantastic school for chidren and young teens to learn.

Posted August 25, 2007

I, being a student in 8th grade at St. Thecla School, think that it is a great school. The teachers work their hardest to teach the students the material they need to know. I like how the staff cares for each child equally. If some student needs help in a certain area the teachers will work on it with them until the student feels comfortable with the subject. Overall this is an excellent school, and I highly recommend it.
—Submitted by a student

Posted June 13, 2007

As a parent of 3 children to go through St Thecla, 2 of which almost there full nine years from Kindergarten through eighth I would highly recommend this school.The staff truly cares for your children and are highly dedicated. With one child in college and 2 in public high school I can say that is was near 1 1/2 years in public high school before they were challenged with new material they had not already been taught. Parent involvement is required. Extracurricular activities are abundant and the music,art and Physical education program are also wonderful. I continue to recommend them to others for their children.

Posted July 11, 2006

Having 3 (soon to be 4) children in St. Thecla, in my opinion, is the best thing I could have done for them academically. I know they excel, above public school children, in many areas of learning. They're learning things, that I know my husband or myself don't even know. Parent involvement is mandatory, but it's well worth it. It is a very tight-knit community. Great school!

Posted January 23, 2006

I'm an alumni of St. Thecla & currently send my child there. I can't begin to tell you what a wonderful experience it was for me personally. It's a safe environment that allows a child to be able to focus on what is important. The teachers were and are absolutely wonderful. They are VERY dedicated & care about the future of the children they are teaching. Not only do they focus on the academics but on life skills as well. They are constantly looking to the future & how to improve even more. I would HIGHLY recommend this school to anyone of any faith.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted August 28, 2005

As a mother I stress about whether I am making the right decisions with my children, especially with their education. My oldest child has been in St. Thecla for 5 years now and we have had the best teachers but I have often wondered what going to the public school in our neighborhood would be like. I had the opportunity to spend time in the school he would be attending and now I am so glad I chose St. Thecla. My youngest will be starting Kindergarten at St. Thecla this week and i can honestly say I am 100 percent sure I have made the right decision.

Posted May 14, 2005

My children have been attending St. Thecla for close to 7 years now. I can not say enough positive things about most of the teachers. There are some who go above and beyond for their students. My youngest excels tremendously in their school work and I give credit to the half day Kindergarten teacher. She really knew how to prepare her students. As in all schools there is some 'harassment' among students which I feel should really be stressed of it's negative effects and not be tolerated in any way, shape or form. My children appear to be happy and continue to grow. I will continue to send my children to St. Thecla and honestly have no regrets of doing so thus far.

Posted September 12, 2004

Be careful with testing before Kindergarten. Even though the parent manual mentions nothing about testing scores and enrollment, I received a letter stating my child did not score high enough on the Brigance test and therefore was not welcomed to St. Thecla. I find this ironic since this is a Catholic school and should accept all children. They would not return my calls and were very cold when I finally reached them. This school has a lot to learn about what their focus is as a Catholic school.

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian 2% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 2% N/A
Multiracial 2% N/A
African-American 0% 20%
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

School start time
  • 8:30 am
School end time
  • 3:40 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Ms. Lynn Fennell
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Roman Catholic
Associations
  • NCEA
Fax number
  • (586) 791-2356

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
  • Music room
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Detroit

Media arts

School culture

• Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Vouchers accepted
Financial aid offered
School-based aid

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
DeLaSalle