Colon, MI

Posted June 08, 2014
Colon Elementary is horrible for any child that has special needs, they have no idea how to teach or handle and child with behavioral or emotional special needs. I had to get a state advocate to get anything done for my one son. Bullying is allowed to go on with excuses such as "we talked to him". Well if talking doesn't work there should be some form of punishment. My older elementary child is requesting to be school of choices out of the district due to the bullying and my other child is already out of district to be in a school that can teach and deal with special needs. A new pretty school matters not at all if the teachers and principal don't care at all!!!!!

Posted October 03, 2013
Wonderful new school! Staff seems very positive. My children love it there. Teachers are very helpful at the elementary school. I have always has my questions answered in a timely fashion. The new playground is spectacular! All of my children of all ages can play on it. Warmly welcomed by the office secretary when I go into the building. My child was reading and writing leaving kindergarten. Wow! Academics seem to be priority of colon. I can't say that about neighboring schools. My oldest is in sports and loves it. he is doing very well. he also loves his coaches and teachers. Bottom line they focus on academics and your child learning. I can't say enough good things about it.

Posted September 12, 2012
New high school and elementary school, New cutting edge technology, Teachers and students are excited to go to school!

Posted March 01, 2012
This school uses a research based math instruction program that cycles through common math principals at various grades to give students multiple times to grasp the concepts. They have received a grant from the Kellogg Foundation to study the math program to provide recommendations for improvements where needed. It does require parents to talk with teachers to get a better understanding of how to help with homework. Math isn't taught the way it was 30 years ago. Everyone needs to work together more.

Posted April 16, 2011
This school teaches math so confusing that the high school has to re teach it when they get there! They refuse to change what they are doing even though they have a new principal now. I try to help my child with math (I got a 4.0 in math in college) and cannot figure out what in the world they are doing! Its frustrating for the parents AND the children. My daughter has failed math for 4 years in a row and they keep sending her to the next grade with no help. She gets bullied constantly and nothing is done, and when she defends herself she gets written up for it. The school is ancient and the teaching is pathetic. As soon as I am able, my kids are OUT OF THERE.

Posted October 15, 2009
I am not at all satisfied with Colon Elementary and I am thinking of taking my child to another district. There are many many things I find disturbing like their entire way of teaching math. Its confusing even for the adults and I have talked to many parents who feel the same as I. They are not willing to change the curriculum at all and my daughter has passed by the skin of her teeth 2 years in a row. They have NO programs to help children who are low in their math or reading skills. They expect parents to teach the kids... well then WHY do we send them to school? To pick up paperwork and come home? I am appalled and disgusted that schools like this are allowed to stay open with no one stepping in to make things better!

Colon Elementary School
328 East State Street, Colon, MI  49040
Last modified Colon Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Colon Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 11 reviews. Top