Davisburg Elementary School

Public | K-6 & ungraded | 377 students

Posted July 13, 2014

Honestly, I cannot for the life of me understand the negative comments about Davisburg Elementary School. We moved from the district and I continued my children s enrollment because it is such a wonderful learning environment. I think the negative comments are from a bunch whiner s. The comments about inadequate security are ludicrous. Davisburg is a tiny town. Most of the community is on a first name basis with all the teachers and staff. We don t need international airport style security imposed on parents- the sign in is enforced and adequate. I m sorry to the lady whose kid got his feelings hurt and to the lady whose kid encountered a bully, but that s part of life. We all don t get to be number one and sometimes we encounter mean humans. It s part of life when you are eight and when you are eighty. Davisburg El. has a strong anti-bullying campaign; I think the poster was being dramatic.

Posted May 22, 2014

This school is a mess. There is no organization whatsoever. The principe offers minimal communication with parents. There are not many emails sent out, not enough opportunities for parents to get involved which this school appears to need badly. Also something that really bothers me about this school is the absolute lack of monitoring of who comes in and out of the building. They do have to buzz you into the building but once in they don't care who you are or what you're doing. They have a daycare in the building and I see people walking in and put without singing in all the time. The receptionists don't seem to care and actually I picked my child up from school crying recently, he was physically and verbally being attacked by two other students and the receptionist I spoke to treated me like I was the issue not the bullying. No one ever bothered to find the child who physically hit my child. Needless to say we are switching schools next year.

Posted April 22, 2014

Davisburg Elementary is known for being one of the best elementary schools in Holly Area School District. All of my children have attended here. We are very pleased with the staff, the curriculum and the atmosphere. Below I read I few reviews that actually made me chuckle. The one that says she took her kids out of here because she doesn't want them in college with an elementary school education made me laugh! This IS an elementary school. THEY WILL be getting an "elementary" education. And in middle school, they get a MIDDLE SCHOOL education. In high school they receive a HIGH SCHOOL education. All jokes aside, this is a very good school.

Posted April 16, 2014

My boys attend the young 5's program. I have no issues w the teachers they are great. My issue is communication w the principle not having time to meet w us as concerned parents or not even following up w a phone call..do to this reason I have enrolled my son's in a different school district and it's sad to say we are now looking for a new house and are searching in other districts..so to summarize I feel the teachers are great the principle not so much!!!!!

Posted October 31, 2013

Disappointed there was no Halloween parade in the school because of the rain, in previous years we would have it in the gym. Disappointed that they took the microwave ovens, so kids could not warm up pizza. I am disappointed that there is no explanation of reason for the changes. I am disappointed my son was in the hospital and was out of school for a week and his homework sat on the secretary's desk with no one caring enough to call me and telling me it was there.

Posted November 22, 2009

Davisburg Elementary provides a wonderful, positive learning environment! Both of my children are developing intellectually, with high regard to responsibility and respect. The best part... they love school!!! I believe this is due to the staff's upbeat professionalism. The principal and teachers are delightful role models! I'm very thankful for the involvement of esteem building within the curriculum. I receive many compliments on how pleasant and well mannered my children are. This behavior is encouraged and supported by the staff at Davisburg Elementary. As for parent involvement... the Davisburg Parent-Teacher Connection (PTC) is second to none in regards to providing opportunities for parents and students alike. The PTC really supports the concept of how important the family and community is to a child's development. We are thrilled with the education and community involvement that Davisburg Elementary provides!! *Just a note: The Student of the Month program has been eliminated.* Excellent School!

Posted August 18, 2009

The only thing that upsets me greatly about this school is the unfairness they have when they choose a student of the month. I had to watch my son cry every month because he is never OR has never been picked for a studen of the month and he has no idea why - I think its unfair to point out and say 1 child is better than the other. -

Posted January 30, 2009

I can't begin to explain the difference between Davisburg and the last school my children attended. I feel welcome here, my children feel welcome here, and I feel like both of their teachers are happy to answer any questions I have. Davisburg has something you feel when you walk in the door. It is smiles, excitement, and caring. My children are challenged and happy and learning so much more than they did in the past three years (two years for my younger child). It's worth my drive from out of the district every day.

Posted September 10, 2008

Once again, my children have started the year at Davisburg Elementary with smiles on their faces. Both of them couldn't wait for school to start (which hurt my feelings a little, but that's OK)! We choose to transport them to Davisburg although we live out of district, and can't begin to explain the quality of education in comparison to our home school in a neighboring district. In the two years they have been there, they have gone from average work to above grade level work, scoring in the highest category of standardized tests. In addition, the art, music and gym programs are great, and I am welcomed into the school at any time, rather than feeling like an outsider. Great job, Davisburg!

Posted August 9, 2008

Very substandard levels at Davisburg, sure, your child might have fun and like the friendly teachers- but education isn't number one there- you would be surprised what your children are not learning by attending this school. I don't want my kids to start college and have elementary grade levels- which is where Davisburg leaves you.

Posted May 14, 2008

Davisburg Elementary is a great school. There are many other options for schooling in the area including private and charter but we choose to stay at Davisburg because of the overall picture. The teachers, parents and staff are all wonderful. Every child is made to feel special. Lots of activities for the kids. My kids are above average in reading, writing and math and I owe this all to Davisburg Elementary and their great teachers.

Posted January 5, 2008

My son came to this school after attending private school. Its true, the staff are wonderful and make everything fun - and that hides that there is not much going on. No homework, no academic standards other than teaching what will be on the MEAP. They try to teach everthing with fun and games. My son loved this school. and in 6 months, had not learned one new thing. I had to pull him out or he would have ended up happy but academically behind his peers in other schools.

Posted October 4, 2007

We love Davisburg Elementary. The academic programs are excellent and are 'tailored' to your childs specific needs....something not available in many schools. Extracurricular activities are great, especially the art and physical education programs. Parent involvement has always been outstanding. The 'Parent Teacher Connection' produces the following annual events: Art/Music Fair, Science Fair, Author readings, Fun Fair, Fall Festival, Talent Show, Davisburg Dance Night, Santa's Secret Shop (where kids meet to make presents for their parents), 5th Grade Farewell and much more. A Wonderful school.

Posted July 26, 2007

I believe Davisburg Elementary is the best school in our area. I feel so strongly about this that I drive my daughter there every morning, even though we are out of district. The teachers truly love what they are doing, smiles, run rampant throughout the school. This school is a school where everyone knows your name and cares about you.

Posted November 19, 2006

Great School! Your child will not only be educated, but will also have good character. This school actually teaches Character Education about being responsible, caring, respectful, self-directed individuals. This school not only welcomes parent involvement, it encourages it. Student have well rounded education including gym, music, art, technology & library 1-2 times every week. Teaching staff is highly qualified and nurturing.

Posted May 3, 2005

I am glad to see good 'ol Davisburg El has not changed since I was a student in the late 70's. my 3 son's do (& did) attend this school. The teachers are great as well as the entire staff. Lots of activity along with educational games, lots of reading & learning one on one time too! My children love this school, me too. Davisburg is the right mixure of fun inside learning. Their pick up / drop off service is great.. I wish they had that 5 years ago with my first son!

Posted September 24, 2004

I fondly remember my days at Davisburg. The teachers and staff are wonderful people with caring hearts. Great programs like 4th grade michigan musical, 5th grade camp, and reading recovery. I am so glad that my sister is gfoing to have a great start at Davisburg!
—Submitted by a former student

Posted June 24, 2004

My daughter attended Davisburg from kindergarten through 5th grade and we have been extremely pleased with the overall quality of the school. The teachers are wonderful and truly care about the students. There are many extracurricular activities (such as lego leagues, chess club, Destination Imagination) I highly recommend the school- we love it here.

Math

The state average for Math was 40% in 2014.

41 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

41 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2014.

56 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2014.

53 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 17% in 2014.

59 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 42% in 2014.

47 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2014.

48 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 27% in 2014.

51 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Source: Michigan Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Above average

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Below Average

Reading growth at this school

Above average

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 MEAP results from the state of Michigan.

2 This rating is based on 2012-13 net growth (significant improvement/improvement - significant decrease/decrease) according to Performance Level Changes from the state of Michigan.

African-American 1% 18%

Source: MI Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

• Mrs. Kimberly Hempton
Fax number
  • (248) 328-3504

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Special education