No rating

St Sebastian Catholic School

Private | PK-8 | 20 students

Living in Dearborn Heights

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $59,900. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $990.

Posted March 4, 2012

This is a very lacking school. i attended from pre-school 3 to sixth grade. it was a terrible experience the teachers do not care about you unless you are a 4.0 student. The teachers are cruel and they give a ridiculous amount of work and little time to do it. When i went from catholic school to public i was amazed at how far advanced the public schools were. they had all new computers, compared the dinosaurs St.Sebastians has. and the teachers at public school do try to get everybody an advanced education. I learned so much more my seventh grade year and i continue to learn. i am currently in french 2 and St.Sebastians only teaches spanish. The only positive thing I have to say is the other students they are amazingly kind and good-hearted people.

Posted April 12, 2011

St. Sebastian offers a wonderful faith based education! Contrary to a comment I read, the teachers ARE very receptive to helping children. Often I find that a parent who has this complaint is one who has not taken the time to schedule a meeting with a teacher and find out exactly what the problem is and then invest the time and energy it takes to solve the problem. As someone with a child who struggled academically in the lower grades I found a huge amount of support and help from the teachers and principal. The school also currently offers a mentoring program where volunteers (mostly retirees) come in and work with children one on one or in small groups to help them with subjects/concepts they are having trouble with. St. Sebastian also has a brand new computer lab and a new computer teacher who is fabulous. I would invite anyone to come to visit the school on any day and see classes in action and talk to the students, teachers and parents.

Posted February 3, 2011

I have just enrolled my son here, because the local elementary school in Dearborn was changing for the worst. The teachers are very approachable, and the course work was much more advanced than public schools. The quality of work in the eighth grade science fair rivals that of most 11 graders in the public high school. There is a tremendous amount of parental involvement required by the parents, and the principle does not tolerate lazy parents, thus i suppose the few bad reviews. This is a very loving and secure environment for our child. My wife and I both have advanced degrees and feel the coursework is beyond what Dearborn public offers. That being said this is not a turnkey school, parents are expected to assist with homework, and help with fundraising.

Posted October 7, 2010

I contacted St. Sebastian after visiting several of the public schools in Dearborn Heights with kindergarten class capacities of 29+ students per one very young teacher. What does a child learn in that environment? I felt discouraged and upset after that morning of visits. Thankfully, I remembered St. Sebastian Church and dropped in unannounced to check out the school. I can not put enough emphasis on how glad I am that I did!! Sister Geraldine - the Principal - is a nationally awarded school administrator who is warm while exuding a calm strength about her, the Assistant Principal is a seasoned teaching professional with an energy and care for the students that I never experienced in my own academic life. And, the lovely kindergarten teacher has over 15 years of experience and 17 children in class. The children have started a review of the alphabet and next comes reading. We're only two months into kindergarten. I can't stress how wonderful it is to know that my daughter is getting a solid start within a WONDERFUL community and a sound academic foundation. I would recommend St. Sebastian to friends, family and neighbors without a hesitation. It is a gem hidden amongst the side streets of District 7.

Posted February 17, 2010

This school is great if your children are self directed and fast learners. However, if you have a child that needs extra help you will never get it at this school. Not only do the teachers fall to communicate with the parents, but make it apparent that your bothering them if you have concerns. It is worse in the upper grades. The students have several teachers and once again they do not communicate with each other. As a result of this lack of communication many times your child will have several exams within the same week and or day. Since the exams are worth 50% of your overall grade this is very stressfull on both the child and the parents. This is unneccessary.

Posted February 16, 2010

Curriculum is very weak and technology is a joke. The principle is cold and unapproachable. Nice families, good kids. Still beats D7 public schools but barely.

Posted October 25, 2009

St. Sebastian has a dedicated staff that prepares the students spiritually and academically.

Posted August 28, 2009

this is the best school in the world!! The teachers are wonderful! they have the best sport teams! everyone there is really friendly!! this is the best school in the world!
—Submitted by a student

Posted March 18, 2009

My child and I love her teachers at St. Sebastian; however the principal and the pastor are very petty, rude, uncaring, and disrespectful to the children and parents. They are control freaks. Parents have no part of ANY decisions that concern our children. The new pastor and Sr. Geraldine are in total control.

Posted August 15, 2007

I love St. Sebastian School. The teachers and principal are outstanding. The new reading program they are implementing is tremendous. The families that our children go to school with share the same values and standards that we do. My mother and mother-in-law always comment when they come to the school for an event what a wonderful decision we have made by sending our children here. I coundn't agree more!

Posted July 28, 2007

St. Sebastian Catholic School is progressive in its academic programs . They do offer music and art. Like most Catholic Schools they do struggle with providing extra programs such as foreign languages but the quality of the teachers and the one on one teaching and care makes up for what they can't offer . Parents are encouraged and expected to be involved in the school.

Posted March 31, 2007

My two children started at St. Sebastian School in preschool. I was very impressed with all their teachers - up to and including eighth grade. Every teacher goes over and above to help students. They come early, stay after school and even use lunch time to help their students. The Language Arts program is excellent. Both my children qualified for Honor's English in ninth grade. The Math program is getting better with the advanced Math for the older students. Both my children went right into Algebra 1 in ninth grade. There are great sports teams, lots of school spirit and parents are always invovled. Great school!!

Posted August 25, 2006

I attended St.Sebastian School and now my four children attend there as well.This is agreat school.The principal,Sr.Geraldine,is a very caring,kind person,yet keeps the students in line. The teachers are an awesome group of people. My children are in grades Pre4 to 5th. I have had positive experiences with various teachers over the past eight years. My children love their school and take pride in being a part of the St. sebastian family.

Posted June 9, 2006

Very good school, kids have fun learning and are excited to go back everyday. My child goes there currently and I also attended when I was in grade school. A good choice if you are looking for a great education for your child. The people who have left other comments had children who we diffucult to control and refused to get help.(only the negitive comments) Great Great School

Posted January 19, 2006

I attende St.Sebastian school for 9 years. I loved the school deeply. I do think that they need to improve on the preist slection. Kids need to have a good relationship with there priest and they dont any more. The teachers are the soem of the best around. My first year in high school I was put in Algerbra1 and did very well.Most of the people who said bad things about my school left because their kids failed and even when teachers helped the kids still did'nt do homework and failed to study. St.Sebastian has the best reading and english teacher compared to any english teacher I have run into yet.Every teacher I had was exciting to listen to, espacilly Mrs.Seurynck, I loved to learn and I loved to be at school. They have a great program not only with education but with a great sports program.I love this school.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted September 28, 2004

My son attended this school for 3 years, the kindergarten progam is amazing. But the regular grades are awful the teachers are not approachable they have their favorites and they show it. After my son attended this school he will not be willing to attend another private school.

Posted February 23, 2004

Not a school that I would recommend. This school is basically a self-serve school, meaning they pile on the work and you do it. They are not willing to help the students or parents much and they definately will not put themselves out. Students have a high stress rate and lots of work!

Posted October 6, 2003

My children attended school here for 5 years. The pre - school and Kindergarten program are excellent. Gr 1 - 8 leave much to be desired. Teachers do not go out of their way to help the students. Curriculum - especially math is of low quality and the Christian morals, values, and compassion that you would expect to find at this school are sadly lacking.

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Multiracial 5% 2%
African-American 3% 19%
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 3%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Associations
  • NCEA
Fax number
  • (313) 563-6641

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Detroit

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

20700 Colgate Street